Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
everyone should realize that LG makes most of the higher quality display panels out there. Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/etc. all use LG panels for their TV's. I can't really think of another display maker that matches the same logistical prowess as LG.

No they don't. I happen to be very much into monitor/TV tech.

Samsung uses Samsung/AUO/CMO VA panels in their TVs.
Sony uses Samsung and AUO panels (possibly Sharp soon)
Panasonic uses its own Alpha IPS pro Displays.

These Use LG panels:
Some LGs some Vizios and some Toshibas, which all tend to be second tier TVs.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The more I use my iPhone 4, the less I like the display on my iPad.

I agree completely. The iPad is looking pretty ragged now.

At least the iPad doesn't have reception issues...

Apple asked if you could keep up with demand. You say yes. You cant. It affects apples customors. There is no company that can keep up with apple. Apple should start manufacturing these things themselves. They should also start there own cell phone company and blow AT&T off the face on the UNIVERSE!!!!

Yeah, right... Like AT&T doesn't charge you enough...

By the way, don't blame LG, it was Apple that negotiated the contract and they meet Apple's requirements. Apple Inc underestimated the figures and that's why LG is struggling to keep up. They accommodated the initial requirements, but Apple's estimates proved to be wrong.

Stop blaming everything and everybody else! If you want to blame anything, blame Apple Inc for this one.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Apple asked if you could keep up with demand. You say yes. You cant. It affects apples customors. There is no company that can keep up with apple. Apple should start manufacturing these things themselves. They should also start there own cell phone company and blow AT&T off the face on the UNIVERSE!!!!

The iPad is outselling even Apples high projections so I have no idea how you are blaming LG. Apple asked LG can you keep up with X and LG said sure. Apple is selling X+++ so of course LG is going to struggle when they planned for what Apple told them.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I am sure LG has more than apple as a customer. Asking for extra production time isn't as easy as asking for extra cheese on a pizza.
LG probably on wants to do just in time delivery, it's not like any overproduction can be sold to another customer.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
LG would have to be idiots not to be looking at extra facilities or conversion of current space. Even just for Apple, let alone any others that may come along with similar-sized capacitive screen needs.

But that takes time.

They are already converting a facility. It will be finished in this year. :p

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
is LG crazy??? :eek:

Uncle Steve doesn't like when his partners speak his business. I wonder if there will be continued gradual shift away from LG to Samsung now that LG's CEO ran off at the mouth about Apple having to delay launches.

smh :rolleyes:

Apple has been with LG for a long time, do not think saying something that everyone seems to know will harm them. :p if anything it is great free advertising from a respected international company that re-firms Apples strong sales and great product design, also will get people talking about the iPad (not that Apple needs this) :D

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Does Samsung even make an IPS panel? None of their monitors or TVs have an IPS panel. They all seem to be mainlyPVA or AMOLED on mobile devices.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Shouldn't be long until we see an iPad screen refresh anyways with the iPhone having the sweet retnia display it'd be silly for Apple to not bring this over to the already beautiful iPad display.

Dude, not happening this year. First, cost. That retina display is expensive and its cost is part of the deep subsidy from AT&T. Imagine making it six times bigger for the iPad and then trying to sell it unsubsidized. Second, power use and consumption. The A4 chip can't push that many pixels (it would be like asking it to run a 30" monitor. And the battery would have to supply the power to push those pixels, which would kill one of the best parts of the iPad, its practically limitless battery. (Results may vary, but I get days of usage off of one charge, which means almost never running out at an inconvenient moment or picking up the iPad to find that it died over night.)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
is LG crazy??? :eek:

Uncle Steve doesn't like when his partners speak his business. I wonder if there will be continued gradual shift away from LG to Samsung now that LG's CEO ran off at the mouth about Apple having to delay launches.

smh :rolleyes:

it's not like dumping ATI which is just a driver change. changing the screen would mean more development time and LG would just make up the loss with HTC. i hear they can't make droids and evo's fast enough due to screen shortages from Samsung

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
considering how the ipad screen is nearly 3 times the size of the iphone... doubtful.... Not yet. They could give the screen a slight bump, but Apple may want to limit the number or resolutions out there.

And it may be almost three times the size, but it is about eight times the area. Eight times the cost + more because percentage of units without faults will be lower.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
considering how the ipad screen is nearly 3 times the size of the iphone... doubtful.... Not yet. They could give the screen a slight bump, but Apple may want to limit the number or resolutions out there.

There are a lot of Apps that would need to ensure they are drawing Pixel aligned when necessary if they were to arbitrarily increase the dimensions. It is unlikely apple would increase the resolution to anything other then four times the current resolution. The display size could change though. Same resolution in a smaller screen or higher resolution in a larger screen. I'm sure the A4 could push the pixels if it had more RAM. The biggest limitation is when the displays will come on the market. With the success of the iPad, I'm sure the component manufacturers are working on it. They can already create a screen with the dpi, so it is just a matter of time.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Frankly even 1280x960 would make a very noticeable improvement, especially in text antialiasing, although I'd prefer 1600x1200. I love the iPad, but the text is just not that sharp if you do a lot of reading on it. It's not horrible, just could be smoother.

Anyway, I doubt this screen shortage will hurt Apple much. High demand is good for them and all their supposed competitors can't even get a product to market, let alone a polished one that has production ramped. Meanwhile, they will continue to improve the software.

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Does Samsung even make an IPS panel? None of their monitors or TVs have an IPS panel. They all seem to be mainlyPVA or AMOLED on mobile devices.

Samsung AFAIK does not make IPS panels. Samsung is know primarily for the VA or Vertical Alignment panel technology which produces better contrast and blacks but IPS produces more accurate colors and a bit wider of a viewing angle.

Also VA is known in varieties of M-VA, C-PVA or S-PVA has what they call "black crush" which strips any detail out of its blacks.

I would rather Apple stick with IPS panels from LG for the Ipads even if it means I have to wait longer to get one.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Frankly even 1280x960 would make a very noticeable improvement, especially in text antialiasing, although I'd prefer 1600x1200.

Still dream on. The iP4 screen may have come as a surprise to users and started them thinking about higher res iPads, but they iP4 was no surprise to Apple product planners.

There are no compelling reasons to bump resolution on the iPad. They just released the thing. They have likely known for a long time that the next iPhone would get the big resolution bump if they thought higher resolution important for the iPad it would have shipped with it day one.

OTOH iPhone had the same resolution for years and now had the lowest resolution smartphone and they needed to bump it for competitive reasons. They chose the resolution that made the most sense from a application perspective. They doubled. It happened to cross the 300dpi range and they did some marketing around it. Retina is a marketing fluff name that benefits from what they had to do.

Expect years before you see a higher resolution iPad. Most of the announced tablet competition is actually using lower res than the iPad.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
It's amazing how well some gadgets are selling this year. Apple can't make enough iPhone 4s (especially the white ones) and iPad, Motorola can't make enough Droid X and HTC can't make enough EVO, Desire and Incredible due to display shortage from Samsung.

Yeah it's a pity that everyone is relying on screen manufactures to ramp up what should have been foreseen as a increased need all the way around with all the new devices coming out this summer.

I've often said that maybe hardware makers should own and control the entire supply chain. If I were running a company I'm hardcore enough to want to even control the sand that makes the glass if need be let alone the screens, but I know that's just me. But I would really HATE to be at the mercy of some other company which may have competing visions from your own and who may be dividing their focus between other projects and customers. That must really be a horrible and frustrating position to be in.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Well, it is a whole THREE months old, I mean, come on! THREE MONTHS, how dated!
When you have an attention span of a squirrel, you need shiny, new trinkets daily .. to give you even more stuff to hate on.

My thoughts exactly! When I see people on here complain about how their iPad screens are looking ragged next to their iPhone 4s, all I can think of is "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH" /Spoiled

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.