Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG Display will supply the AMOLED displays for the Apple Watch when it launches in 2015, reports Digitimes. According to the report, Apple is also expecting to ship five million units of the wearable device a month, and is aiming to sell more than 50 million Apple Watches in 2015.

applewatch.png
Apple was also said to be in talks with Samsung to provide AMOLED panels for the device, however the company ultimately decided that all displays for its smartwatch would come from LG. The news is similar to a report last October from The Korea Herald, which noted that Apple was close to striking a deal with LG to supply panels for its wearable after talks with Samsung were said to be "not productive."

The Apple Watch will begin shipping in early 2015 and come in two sizes of 38mm and 42mm (1.5 and 1.7 inches), with six available casing materials and six different bands. The Apple Watch will be also organized into three editions, including the entry-level Apple Watch Sport collection, the stainless-steel Apple Watch collection, and the high-end luxury Apple Watch Edition collection. Pricing will start at $349.

Article Link: LG to Supply Apple Watch Displays, Apple Aiming to Sell 50 Million Units in 2015

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
They won't sell 50 million watches, no chance.

More like 5-10 million.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Do we really think that Apple will sell 50 million of a first-gen product in less than a year? I'm kind of dubious, though with Apple it is certainly possible. Perhaps Digitimes messed up their numbers.

Tdadlani

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Manhattan
Do we really think that Apple will sell 50 million of a first-gen product in less than a year? I'm kind of dubious, though with Apple it is certainly possible. Perhaps Digitimes messed up their numbers.

Actually not a big number. They should have a 500 million iPhone installed base by then worldwide. I think its currently at around 300 million. If only 10% of their installed iPhone base buy..( quite a low expectation), they have hit their target.

I think its a very conservative estimate.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Actually not a big number. They should have a 500 million iPhone installed base by then worldwide. I think its currently at around 300 million. If only 10% of their installed iPhone base buy..( quite a low expectation), they have hit their target.

10% of iPhone users buying smart watches? I doubt that. But I don't think Apple is one to inflate numbers. So maybe.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin

The watch only supports pairing with iPhone 5 or later, so would require a higher percentage of users to reach the target.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
50 million? No chance. Not with it only working with iPhone, and not at that price.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
marketing and the media will sell it i am sure.

Kim Kardashian will be spotted wearing it on instagram, the CSI team on CBS will wear it as a finger print scanner of the victim on the go and justin bieber will wear it flexing his twink "muscles"

Last edited:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
50 million? No chance. Not with it only working with iPhone, and not at that price.

I agree with what you say about price, but it will be selling for less than $349 starting at launch.

What no one seems to be talking about is that Apple dropped the price of the iPhone 6 by $300. It's just that Apple is a master at hiding discounts on its products. So no one realizes it.

All four U.S. carriers are offering $200 off for trading in an iPhone 4 or greater. The 64GB model is now $100 less than last year. That comes to $300.

I say that with carefully hidden discounts it will be $199 at launch.

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I agree with what you say about price, but it will be selling for less than $349 starting at launch.

What no one seems to be talking about is that Apple dropped the price of the iPhone 6 by $300. It's just that Apple is a master at hiding discounts on its products. So no one realizes it.

All four U.S. carriers are offering $200 off for trading in an iPhone 4 or greater. The 64GB model is now $100 less than last year. That comes to $300.

I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?.. First of all, the Apple Watch isn't a cellular device, and therefore likely won't be sold by cellular carriers (least of all at launch). The "$200" you're getting off an iPhone 6 is provided you trade in an iPhone 4 or greater - which you could re-sell for a similar price anyway. You're not getting 200 off, you're selling your existing phone to them for 200.

Second to that - why would Apple ship a brand new "category" device and discount it right from the get go? Business sense this makes not.

We saw Apple with Steve in the 80s; we saw Apple without Steve in the 90s. We saw Apple with Steve in the 00s, and now we're going to see Apple without Steve in the 10s (and forever thereafter). I'm not saying the company is doomed, but I think Tim's gotten a false sense of confidence in thinking every Apple release will be golden. I estimate 20 million, and that's taking into account "early 2015" could be January, but it could also be March-April. :apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

this way of thinking only works in the US.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?.. First of all, the Apple Watch isn't a cellular device, and therefore likely won't be sold by cellular carriers (least of all at launch). The "$200" you're getting off an iPhone 6 is provided you trade in an iPhone 4 or greater - which you could re-sell for a similar price anyway. You're not getting 200 off, you're selling your existing phone to them for 200.

Second to that - why would Apple ship a brand new "category" device and discount it right from the get go? Business sense this makes not.

We saw Apple with Steve in the 80s; we saw Apple without Steve in the 90s. We saw Apple with Steve in the 00s, and now we're going to see Apple without Steve in the 10s (and forever thereafter). I'm not saying the company is doomed, but I think Tim's gotten a false sense of confidence in thinking every Apple release will be golden. I estimate 20 million, and that's taking into account "early 2015" could be January, but it could also be March-April. :apple:

I haven't been smoking anything. But it is apparent from your post that you have been drinking the Apple Kool-Aid. You believe exactly what Apple wants you to believe, that Apple never discounts anything.

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I haven't been smoking anything. But it is apparent from your post that you have been drinking the Apple Kool-Aid. You believe exactly what Apple wants you to believe, that Apple never discounts anything.

I know they discount stuff (as a student, I've taken advantage of the Education discount MANY a time).. but Apple aren't discounting the phone on this occasion, it's your individual carriers (and definitely not the $200).

With that said, both new models are slightly cheaper than the 5S if you're comparing outright costs. Which is always nice, given how much gets upgraded.

Glad to hear you're not smoking though - say no to drugs :rolleyes:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
First generation iPhone sales in its first year? ~6 million

First generation iPad sales in its first year? ~15 million

First generation iWatch sales in its first year being 50 million? Nope.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
If aliens come to Earth and ask me (as they do) what the meaning of the word optimism is. Ill point them to this thread title.

Good luck with that Apple.

IWatch with great disappointment I'm afraid.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Does Apple really think it can sell 50 million units of their watch in less than a year? Either the numbers are wrong or Apple are delusional.

I like the :apple:Watch, I really do, but it's a very 1st-gen product, and the price is just wrong. Starting at $349, which will probably be for the smallest :apple:Watch Sport with the Aluminum body and glass front, you know you'll be spending $400+ on the :apple:Watch with the stainless steal and sapphire display. No matter how amazing it is, $400 is a lot for most consumers to spend on a smartwatch watch that doesn't offer much over to what your iPhone already has.

As a fashion statement, I feel like Apple still hasn't solved that "geeky-look" problem. Wearing it will give out a signal to people that you're a geek wearing a computer on your wrist, and only a few people want that. Regular watches will still be the norm, and not many people will want to stand out with a somewhat geeky-looking :apple:Watch. That's why I think the :apple:Watch looks like a very 1st-gen device.

I can see Apple selling 50 million of their watches, but no way under a year. The iPad was a very useful device and a netbook replacement for $499, and it sold around 15 millions in 2010. Apple selling 50 million units of a smartwatch that looks geeky, requires iPhone to work properly, and starting price of $349? Not a chance.

Apple lately have been a little wrong with estimates. Last year, at first, they were expecting the 5c to be a huge hit and selling more than the 5s, and that turned out to be a huge mess with the real shortage of supply on the 5s while an overstock on the 5c that nobody was buying. Now, the 6 and the 6 Plus are in the same dilemma. Everyone wants the 6 Plus but extreme shortage of supply, and the regular 6 has wide availability. Apple could be wrong about the :apple:Watch as well.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Apple could be wrong about the :apple:Watch as well.

Very well put.

IMHO smart watches are one iPhone variant too far. The 6.5 iPhone is a phablet. The iPad mini is a big iPhone and the standard iPad is a bigger iohone. No innovation there then.

But all the above are practical and cost effective.

The IWatch is too small to be a iPhone variant

You still need your iohone to get full functionality.

It's too expensive. And needs a wall socket nearby.

You shouldn't need to wait for it to come out to confirm it's a DOA product.

Apple had to produce something new. No matter what and as they'd not gone smaller. Only bigger than the iPhone (which is what Apple is now) they had to go the watch route.

It will be a Newtonian sized flop. And will cost them. But the blip won't affect them long term.

Just see the IWatch as a daft wee project to keep Jony in work. And hope for better in 2015.

Thanks! :)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'll take this with a big grain of salt. We still have more to learn about the watch before it launches. Let's see what app developers can do with it to make it a hit.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
If it had a SIM card slot I would say "yeh, that may be possible". Everyone would want one. A phone watch would be so cool. It would be the next big thing and it would rival Samsungs Gear S Watch.
I would certainly keep my iPhone and get an Apple Watch too.

Considering that it is designed to be tethered to an iPhone, sales will be limited to those that have an iPhone only. And I don't think that is going to encourage people to buy an iPhone just so they can have the iWatch. Some people might though.
I think Apple should have demonstrated the benefit of Apple Watch paired with the iPhone 6 Plus. As some people don't like the idea of speaking into a big device then the Watch actually elminates that problem. You can keep your phone in your pocket or bag and take calls on the watch.

Hmmm, okay now I'm thinking about getting an iP6+ and Apple Watch. LOL
:p:cool:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I know they discount stuff (as a student, I've taken advantage of the Education discount MANY a time).. but Apple aren't discounting the phone on this occasion, it's your individual carriers (and definitely not the $200).

With that said, both new models are slightly cheaper than the 5S if you're comparing outright costs. Which is always nice, given how much gets upgraded.

Glad to hear you're not smoking though - say no to drugs :rolleyes:

There's something odd with pricing though. I looked into buying the 6 Plus and was shocked how much cheaper an iPad mini would be. Then I went to my phone carrier... £99 up front and £43 a month for 24 months. The same price I paid last year for my iPhone 5C contract.

----------

People are quoting iPad's launch numbers. Didn't Apple boast that was the 'best selling product in retail history' ... And they expect the Apple Watch do outdo that?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.