LG Ultrafine 4K Ambient Light Sensor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anferro, Dec 2, 2016.

1. anferro macrumors newbie

How do I activate the ambient light sensor on the LG Ultrafine 4k from Macbook 15" 2016 with OS Sierra?. In preferences / screen you can only change the brightness manually. Thanks

2. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I have the same question. My LG UltraFine doesn't seem to be adjusting brightness automatically. Does anyone know?

3. ABCDEF-Hex, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

I did find this but it may be old information.
    Or it may not be recognizing the sensor on the display (if it even has one)?

How to Automatically Adjust Brightness Based on Ambient Light
    Macs with built-in ambient light sensors can monitor the light level nearby and automatically adjust the display’s brightness level to be suitable. This means making the display brighter when it’s bright near you, and making the screen dimmer when you’re in the dark.

To find this option, open the System Preferences window from the Apple menu and select “Displays.” Enable “Automatically adjust brightness” and your Mac will use the ambient light sensor to automatically adjust the brightness. Disable this option and your Mac won’t do this.

[​IMG]

If you don’t see this option here at all, your Mac doesn’t have an ambient light sensor.

Despite the name, this option only applies to the ambient light sensor. Even if you disable the “Automatically adjust brightness” option, your Mac will still dim the display when you’re on battery power if you have the “Slightly dim the display while on battery power” option enabled.

Using the automatic brightness features won’t stop you from being able to adjust the brightness manually. If you ever don’t like the current brightness level, you can change it with a few keypresses. However, your Mac may automatically increase or decrease the brightness level if the lightning near you changes, and you may have to tweak it again.

4. Brookzy, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

This option doesn't show for the LG UltraFine:

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 17.51.48.png

The brightness is adjustable using an external keyboard however.

It just doesn't seem to be adjusting automatically.

I've found the full manual online (it only comes with a quick start guide in the box), and it confirms the dot on the top is an ambient light sensor.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 17.56.38.png

It also says:

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 17.56.53.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 17.59.12.png

Which implies the ALS is driven by macOS somehow. Perhaps the functionality will be added in the next point release?

And I've checked and the monitor's firmware is up to date, so it isn't that.

5. winstonc macrumors newbie

Just updated to 10.12.2 on my 2015 Macbook and the automatic option has not appeared with the update. Also checked and my monitor seems up to date as well.

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Same. Ambient light sensor simply not working, not even in 10.12.2.

7. sctw macrumors newbie

sctw

Same for me as well. Hopefully on the next update?

8. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Anyone fine a solution to this.
    Bought the 4K last week
    And still missing the auto adjust