Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no_more

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Did anyone experience the lack of adjusting brightness? Can't adjust brightness after LG app update.
UPD: Everything is ok again. I have LG Thunderbolt Cable, tried to pull it out and it didn't help. When I turned it upside down, the brightness worked again.

Last edited:

King724

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Cool - that gives me some confirmation on what to look for. I cannot afford to be burned a 3rd time by this damn monitor.

Appreciate the info

I have an original 5k ultrafine that has horrible image retention now (3 years later)...

I would also appreciate anyone who has used the latest 5k ultrafine for a while comment on any retention issues with the latest monitor. I am thinking about replacing my original. Thanks!

cp21yos

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Sydney
I have the original since it became available in Australia and it's been in use everyday and I'm not seeing any image retention… the only problems I have is the brightness bug and occasionally since Catalina the usb hub crashes and I have to cold start the monitor to get it back up.

Korg86

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
Two questions:
1). Is it normal for my MacBook Pro 16" (Late 2019) to be running noticeably hotter than normal on an ongoing basis when connected to the LG UltraFine 27" display? Anyone else experience this? Any issues with diminished MacBook longevity or overheating?

2). The Apple.com product page for the LG UltraFine 27" product states the follow in the description: "For optimal performance on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, connect to power using the MacBook Pro’s 96W adapter." To be 100% clear: Is this telling me to connect the MacBook Pro to a wall outlet using the standard included charger, simultaneously while connecting the LG UltraFine display (which also plugs into the wall) into the other port?

I know the 2nd one sounds like a dumb question, I just wanted to be 100% certain. Any idea why Apple stated this in Q#2?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

cp21yos

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Sydney
  1. My MBP 16" (8 core variant) runs hotter than the previous 2019 15" (also 8 core) but I think it's Ok, in the sense that it can dump more heat apparently than the previous 15" — given that it's driving an external 5k monitor that could account for the difference (vs. not connected to 5k).
  2. The LG 5k Ultrafine has a 200W power supply built-in, 140W is used by the 5k IPS screen so that leaves at best 60W for your MacBook Pro (presuming you don't have other power sucking devices on the USB-C ports) — which ships with a 96W adapter. I couldn't find anything on LG's 5K monitor page to say what the power output on the Thunderbolt port was so I'm guessing if you're running your 16" flat out it won't be sufficient to power it.
I haven't experienced it with the 16" yet, but with the 15" I could flatten the battery while plugged in if I was training a large image model (couple 100k of images) or running a long Xcode build workflow (think hours).

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
  1. My MBP 16" (8 core variant) runs hotter than the previous 2019 15" (also 8 core) but I think it's Ok, in the sense that it can dump more heat apparently than the previous 15" — given that it's driving an external 5k monitor that could account for the difference (vs. not connected to 5k).
  2. The LG 5k Ultrafine has a 200W power supply built-in, 140W is used by the 5k IPS screen so that leaves at best 60W for your MacBook Pro (presuming you don't have other power sucking devices on the USB-C ports) — which ships with a 96W adapter. I couldn't find anything on LG's 5K monitor page to say what the power output on the Thunderbolt port was so I'm guessing if you're running your 16" flat out it won't be sufficient to power it.
I haven't experienced it with the 16" yet, but with the 15" I could flatten the battery while plugged in if I was training a large image model (couple 100k of images) or running a long Xcode build workflow (think hours).

Point 2 it is mentioned on LG's product page, it provides 94W of power.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
FYI, the release notes for 10.15.4 (out today), had this listed:

- Fixes an issue with screen brightness for the LG UltraFine 5K display after waking from sleep

Haven't tried it yet myself.

defn

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
10.5.4 fixed the wake from sleep issue for me.

But good lord, the image retention on this is getting from bad to worse. (Mine was purchased in December 2016)

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
FYI, 10.5.4 seems to have fixed both the wake-from-sleep and brightness persistence issues for me.

I'm not seeing any image retention on my LG 5K Ultrafine. I do have the desktop picture rotating every 10 minutes, maybe that helps? (Although I don't see any problems in the menubar either.) I have one of the original 5K's bought in November or December 2016.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just noticed this small mark (~2.5mm x 1mm) on my screen. It appears dark when sitting face on, and light when viewed from above. Anyone else experienced similar? Phoned LG and they want it for 10 days to repair. A little inconvenient but now I've seen it, I can't un-see it!

qrwvIeF.jpg

JoruTHE.jpg
Sent this away to LG's repair centre yesterday (I'm assured that this was still okay to do during the pandemic, in any case I've got my old Thunderbolt Display out as I'm anticipating some delays), their theory of what it was brings a new meaning to this thread's title...

They think it could be a literal bug that has died behind the screen and causing a mark! :oops:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
They think it could be a literal bug that has died behind the screen and causing a mark! :oops:
Maybe one of these thrips. I've already read multiple reports regarding TVs etc. that these get trapped sometimes behind the panel. I even had this exact problem too one day many years ago.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Maybe one of these thrips. I've already read multiple reports regarding TVs etc. that these get trapped sometimes behind the panel. I even had this exact problem too one day many years ago.
How funny, not a problem I even thought of. In any case LG have handled it very well, picked the monitor up on Saturday and had a text this morning saying it’s been fixed and will be delivered back tomorrow!

Reactions: chris4565

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
I have an original 5k ultrafine that has horrible image retention now (3 years later)...

I would also appreciate anyone who has used the latest 5k ultrafine for a while comment on any retention issues with the latest monitor. I am thinking about replacing my original. Thanks!
Same here. I contacted LG, paid for the fix, and got it repaired. Was about $150. Totally worth it for me. No retention now

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
Same here. I contacted LG, paid for the fix, and got it repaired. Was about $150. Totally worth it for me. No retention now
How long have you had it back with no image retention? I assume even if you get it fixed, eventually it will start to form again. I'd probably pay the 150$ if the screen would be good for at least ~2 years

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
Sorry for my slow reply - it's only been a few months so far but the retention issue is gone. I felt like it was worth it going into the repair. I like and want to keep the monitor so it was the cheapest route for me.

smario31

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
The hubs on the back keep failing. I have a Belkin USB C Network Adapter that intermittently disconnect when on video calls. Happens in both Skype and Google Hangouts. Also, when this happens it disconnects the Hard Drive plugged into the monitor and the built-in video camera and sound stop working. I have to unplug it from my Macbook Pro and unplug the power from the monitor to get it working again. The video on the screen is working the entire time. No issues there.

I have exactly the same issue. Did you find a resolution for this?

Reactions: jarrodjob

jarrodjob

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Seattle
I have exactly the same issue. Did you find a resolution for this?
I am having the LG 5K Camera and LG 5K Speakers disconnect after about 30-45 mins of use, right in the middle of a zoom call. MacBook Pro 15, Late 2015, UltraFine 5k 1st Gen.
Routing/Cabling:
  • Apple ThunderBolt 2 Cable Male [into MacBook] to
  • Apple ThunderBolt 2 Cable Male into
  • Apple Adaptor - ThunderBolt 2 Female to
  • Apple ThunderBolt 3 Male into LG 5K.
Troubleshooting Thus Far
05/08/20 -- *** DELETING DUET DISPLAY *** - CURRENTLY TESTING A DELETION OF DUET DISPLAY

05/08/20 -- Update Firmware. Reset Monitor Settings.
Screenshot of LG Screen Manager (5-8-20, 10-49-13 AM).jpg

Specs
Screenshot_of_System_Information.jpg
Screenshot of System Information (5-8-20, 10-51-56 AM).jpg

Screenshot of System Information (5-8-20, 10-53-22 AM).jpg
Screenshot of System Information (5-8-20, 10-50-37 AM).jpg

Last edited:

jhynds

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
I bought an Ultrafine 5k monitor recently, but had to return the unit for Apple as there was a single solid vertical line on the display, changed color a bit but it was always there from day one (only kept the unit for a few days).

I just got the replacement unit and noticed a single line on the middle of the screen that's constantly flickering. The line is just below the webcam. It distorts any text that lands in the middle of the screen (see attached image where the '4' in '4K' is distorted).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it an issue with the display itself or possible interference? I plugged out my Apple power adapter, Sonos and baby monitor that are all nearby, but didn't make any difference. I'm using the monitor with a new MacBook 16".

Attachments

• LG Flicker.jpeg
    LG Flicker.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 1,068

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I don't really have anything of substance I can offer you except to say that I used to have odd issues all the time between my 2016 (and now 2018) MBP and my LG 5K. When I first got them, sometimes I would plug in, but get no video until I rebooted my machine. The laptop screen would be functioning fine, but the external display would not activate until after a reboot.

At other times, plugging into my external display caused my MBP to crash and it would become entirely unresponsive until I forced it to power down and restarted it.

These incidents would happen sporadically. It usually happened a few times a week and I'd plug/unplug a few times a day. I always figured it was a software but that would get worked out. It seems to have. This rarely happens anymore to me, but occasionally it will take several tries of unplugging and replugging before I get video on my LG 5K.

I have very similar issues with a MBP 16" and two of the monitors. I suspect one of the monitors is bad and when it shuts off and re-syncs it messes the other one, where they go on and off consistently. I suspect the monitors because I borrowed two identical ones, all purchased early in 2017), that my colleague has as he is temporarily not using his setup. Those two work perfectly (same cables). I am trying to send mine to LG for shielding, revision and repair, but it appears that LG will no longer repair these in the US directly and want to send me to a 3rd party repair outfit. I had not realized how horrendous LG's customer service is. Not sure if worth repairing them or just take the plunge and replace the pair with the Apple XDR. I wonder how the real estate of the Apple as a single monitor will compare to 2 of the 27" LGs. Any one has a recent (After May 2020) repair experience with LG?

Reactions: WP31

octover

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Sweden
I bought an Ultrafine 5k monitor recently, but had to return the unit for Apple as there was a single solid vertical line on the display, changed color a bit but it was always there from day one (only kept the unit for a few days).

I just got the replacement unit and noticed a single line on the middle of the screen that's constantly flickering. The line is just below the webcam. It distorts any text that lands in the middle of the screen (see attached image where the '4' in '4K' is distorted).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it an issue with the display itself or possible interference? I plugged out my Apple power adapter, Sonos and baby monitor that are all nearby, but didn't make any difference. I'm using the monitor with a new MacBook 16".

I recently bought the second version and I sometimes get that, but the width of the column isn't always the same. It happens once a week or so. Disconnecting and reconnecting my MBP 16" fixes it, but it is kind of annoying, and a little troublesome.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I recently bought the second version and I sometimes get that, but the width of the column isn't always the same. It happens once a week or so. Disconnecting and reconnecting my MBP 16" fixes it, but it is kind of annoying, and a little troublesome.
Interesting. Is it near the midpoint of the screen? I have had the 2019 version for about 10 days now and haven’t noticed it. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that it is taking two DisplayPort signals (one for each half of the screen). That may explain why disconnecting and reconnecting works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.