Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
(Please correct me if I am wrong. I only tried hooking up the Mac Pro once and the Ultrafine 5K was super blurry with 4K resolution. Perhaps there is a different solution that I am not aware of.)

I saw a 5K Ultrafine connected to a MacPro at an Apple Store and I tried adjusting the resolution and it would not beyond 1800ish vertical. All resolutions looked blurry.

holgersindbaek

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2018
Copenhagen, Denmark.
What's the status of this display these days? Have they managed to fix all the bugs or are people still having different issues with the display?

I'm thinking of buying the 5K display, but I don't want to do it if the display still has a lot of bugs.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
What's the status of this display these days? Have they managed to fix all the bugs or are people still having different issues with the display?

I'm thinking of buying the 5K display, but I don't want to do it if the display still has a lot of bugs.

10.3.3 and everything is great for me...

Prior to this on High Sierra I was having problems but not any more... very happy in deed!!!

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

Still buggy here. The MBP/5K is absolutely useless in clamshell mode. I feel that I have to say a prayer every time I plug it in and hope I don't have to hard power cycle it.

Reactions: andrew5494

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Still buggy here. The MBP/5K is absolutely useless in clamshell mode. I feel that I have to say a prayer every time I plug it in and hope I don't have to hard power cycle it.

ever since I did a full re install of 10.3.3 I have not had. single problem in clamshell mode... slightly slow to change when unplugging etc but follow the same method of opening shell to add or remove... no sleep crashes in over a month and I was having daily before that....

kikote

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Hürth, Germany
There is a new LG Screen Manager with version 2.09... After installing it I got the message that there is a new firmware. I started the procedure to upgrade and after the update I was still on the same version 3.04 tank before.
Every time I start the LG Screen Manager I get to the procedure of upgrading the firmware. But after the install it ist still on version 3.04. The most strange thing is, that after the upgrade procedure the application says I there is no new firmware available... But I know, the next time I boot the computer and I start the LG screen manager it will try to upgrade the firmware... Is anyone having the same issue there?

Attachments

• firmware 3.04.png
    firmware 3.04.png
    377.2 KB · Views: 273
  • firmware update.png
    firmware update.png
    91 KB · Views: 267
  • update.png
    update.png
    389 KB · Views: 284
  • version 2.09.png
    version 2.09.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 224

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I installed the new versions then one at a time I used it to check the monitors for new firmware... no message at all.

I am on 3.04 was hoping for a new update....
Same here... I got the prompt for the new 3.09 version of the app and installed that, but afterward still showing firmware 3.04 with no upgrade available.

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
We got an new 1 Gbps fiber internet this week, after which we found out that the black Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Gigabit adapter attached to the hub on the backside of LG UltraFine 5K gave only 200 Mbps download and 500 Mbps upload throughput (latency was good though, 3-4 ms). Changing ports didn't help, couldn't test the adapter straigth to MacBook Pro 13" because 2015 model and no USB-C ports. With other Thunderbird to Ethernet Gigabit adapter the throughput was good 940 Mbps / 940 Mbps.

We updated the firmware of the UltraFine 5K to the newest, no difference in the throughput, update took around 15 minutes, quite long.

Then we updated the driver for macOS, black Belkin F2CU040 has Realtek chip inside, so we went with this:
MAC OS 10.6 to 10.13, version 1.0.17 2017/12/19 184k
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads...=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

After the driver update (and restart of the macOS), the throughput is 940 Mbps / 940 Mbps.

The UltraFine 5K is an excellent display, this was the first problem in the last year of using it, no other problems or bugs that we have found out.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
In the spirit of being fair, I'll post that I've had some great luck with my pair of 5Ks this past couple weeks. I've been plugging in/out the monitors without issue now for 20 days. I'll occasionally have the monitors flicker and go black a couple times before staying on, but they do remain functional.

20:11 up 20 days, 10:48, 5 users, load averages: 1.68 1.73 1.78

I haven't had my MBP stay up for more then 3 days since getting the first 5K. I'm beyond ecstatic that I've finally got a useable setup.

The only change I made was update my Cisco AnyConnect client (my company updated their hardware and required this). I don't see how that would have caused impacts, so am completely baffled as to why the system is now stable.

Reactions: Weaselboy

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
You have just jinxed yourself by making this post. I predict monitor failure in 3... 2... 1... :p:D

LoL, feels weird to actually enjoy the setup. It’s gonna bother me for a long time that they’re working and I don’t know why. Between my MBP, iPhoneX, and AW3, I’m finally benefiting from this ecosystem. Looking forward to grabbing the latest iPad when that’s released.

bigkevracer

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Funny, I've finally been enjoying my setup too.

I was having repeated issues with the image completely breaking apart and flickering with my 2016 MBP with 2xUltrafine monitors. To me, it seemed like a heat issue. It gets pretty hot in Australia and whenever it was warm and my laptop was hooked up to both monitors it just fell apart at random times.

Caused a lot of stress because Apple couldn't diagnose it, and it happened at random times, of course mostly when I had a pressing work deadline.

I reinstalled macOS, Apple and I both ran hardware tests on the laptop without finding anything, I had the monitors replaced because they were first gen without the shielding, still no dice. Apple then replaced the graphics card and logic board despite not finding any hardware fault (in the process breaking the SSD and transferring a corrupt backup to the new SSD). Issue remained. The issue was only resolved when they finally replaced the laptop with a 2017 MBP.

All I could think of was that the 2016 MBP simply couldn't drive 2 monitors reliably, even with the dedicated graphics. Not sure if it was related to heat or not, but just couldn't make it work.

Now that I've got the 2017 MBP, the whole setup is much more reliable and finally lives up to it's potential!

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Funny, I've finally been enjoying my setup too.

I was having repeated issues with the image completely breaking apart and flickering with my 2016 MBP with 2xUltrafine monitors. To me, it seemed like a heat issue. It gets pretty hot in Australia and whenever it was warm and my laptop was hooked up to both monitors it just fell apart at random times.

Caused a lot of stress because Apple couldn't diagnose it, and it happened at random times, of course mostly when I had a pressing work deadline.

I reinstalled macOS, Apple and I both ran hardware tests on the laptop without finding anything, I had the monitors replaced because they were first gen without the shielding, still no dice. Apple then replaced the graphics card and logic board despite not finding any hardware fault (in the process breaking the SSD and transferring a corrupt backup to the new SSD). Issue remained. The issue was only resolved when they finally replaced the laptop with a 2017 MBP.

All I could think of was that the 2016 MBP simply couldn't drive 2 monitors reliably, even with the dedicated graphics. Not sure if it was related to heat or not, but just couldn't make it work.

Now that I've got the 2017 MBP, the whole setup is much more reliable and finally lives up to it's potential!
Don't think so, as the 2017 models just have rebadged GPU's with no performance improvements (look it up). My 2016 maxed-out works with two (proper shielding) LG 5K's. Sometimes it's just that you get a duff machine.

...Though I'm quite jealous you have a 2017 which has its improved keyboard; my 2016 is going in to Apple shortly, to have its "bad keys" syndrome fixed.

Last edited:

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Don't think so, as the 2017 models just have rebadged GPU's with no performance improvements (look it up). My 2016 maxed-out works with two (proper shielding) LG 5K's. Sometimes it's just that you get a duff machine.

...Though I'm quite jealous you have a 2017 which has its improved keyboard; my 2016 is going in to Apple shortly, to have its "bad keys" syndrome fixed.

From what I read, if you're having your 2016 keyboard replaced you're going to get a 2017 keyboard/chassis.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Ever since 10.13.4 came out, my downstream USB ports on the LG have not been working well. If I am FaceTime-ing and using the LG camera, the camera will disconnect and then all the USB ports stop working. This is annoying because I use an ethernet adapter to the LG and my internet keeps dropping when doing this.

Anyone else having issues?

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Ever since 10.13.4 came out, my downstream USB ports on the LG have not been working well. If I am FaceTime-ing and using the LG camera, the camera will disconnect and then all the USB ports stop working. This is annoying because I use an ethernet adapter to the LG and my internet keeps dropping when doing this.

Anyone else having issues?
I have this in 10.13.3.
solution for me is wireless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.