LG UltraFine 5K - Owners Thread

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2007
Hello Everyone!

There are 17 pages full of posts. I wish I had the time to read them all.

Please excuse me for posting what has probably already been discussed.

I am looking at the monstrous LG monitor:

LG 49WL95C-W 49" 32:9 Curved UltraWide HDR IPS Monitor

I have the new 2019 13" MBP Pro

I am also going to be buying the upcoming 2019 16" MBP

Will these laptops work with the monitor at the intended resolution through USB-C connection?

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Hello Everyone!

There are 17 pages full of posts. I wish I had the time to read them all.

Please excuse me for posting what has probably already been discussed.

I am looking at the monstrous LG monitor:

LG 49WL95C-W 49" 32:9 Curved UltraWide HDR IPS Monitor
Well, you didn't need to read the posts - you just needed to read the thread title to realize that this was posted in the wrong place! :)

Sorry, that sounds snarky - it's said in jest, but it's also true. This thread is for the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor line, which corresponds to LG's 27" Ultrafine monitors (first and second generation). You're asking about a different monitor.

I can't help you, but I did a quick Google search run on this site (Google these terms: site:macrumors.com 49WL95C-W) and found this as the top hit. There are some other posts that may also be of use to it. Good luck!

Reactions: jimthing

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2007
Well, you didn't need to read the posts - you just needed to read the thread title to realize that this was posted in the wrong place! :)

Sorry, that sounds snarky - it's said in jest, but it's also true. This thread is for the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor line, which corresponds to LG's 27" Ultrafine monitors (first and second generation). You're asking about a different monitor.

I can't help you, but I did a quick Google search run on this site (Google these terms: site:macrumors.com 49WL95C-W) and found this as the top hit. There are some other posts that may also be of use to it. Good luck!

My apologies. Really, I wasn't certain so I also started a brand-new post in this forum area as well.

Yeah, been doing a lot of Google searches on this subject.

Thanks for the time you gave me in your response.

Taucher669

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I got a question re Firmware updates of the 27MD5KA - does anybody here know what the latest FW Version is and how to get this from LG? LG Screenmanager tool is a pretty much useless peace of SW - almost 2 years in use and not a single FW update was offered for my Monitor.
My FW Version is: 3.04,113,5237,3.04,0.1e

I am asking this because I have a strange behavior since I connected this monitor to my new Mac Mini with Catalina. Monitor switches to dark (no backlight) randomly every 5-15 minutes for about 2 seconds. This happens more often the higher the chosen resolution. In case e.g. playing a video - screen gets dark but sound continues - which indicates that it cannot be a power problem. I have used 3 different TB3 cables including the long 2m active cable which came with the monitor. The other ones were 2 short 50cm passive TB3 cables. No difference regardles which cable. No matter which TB3 port on my Mini is chosen.
The effect does NOT OCCUR when I connect the monitor to my MBP 15 Touch Bar from late 2016.
LG Support clueless, Apple Mac support clueless.
I tried secure mode
new user account
clean install of Catalina - boot from external drive
No difference
Anyone here having an idea?
Cheers

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
I got a question re Firmware updates of the 27MD5KA - does anybody here know what the latest FW Version is and how to get this from LG? LG Screenmanager tool is a pretty much useless peace of SW - almost 2 years in use and not a single FW update was offered for my Monitor.

I am asking this because I have a strange behavior since I connected this monitor to my new Mac Mini with Catalina. Monitor switches to dark (no backlight) randomly every 5-15 minutes for about 2 seconds. This happens more often the higher the chosen resolution. In case e.g. playing a video - screen gets dark but sound continues - which indicates that it cannot be a power problem. I have used 3 different TB3 cables including the long 2m active cable which came with the monitor. The other ones were 2 short 50cm passive TB3 cables. No difference regardles which cable. No matter which TB3 port on my Mini is chosen.
The effect does NOT OCCUR when I connect the monitor to my MBP 15 Touch Bar from late 2016.
I tried secure mode
new user account
No difference
Cheers
No idea. I have the same (Mac Mini 2018 & 15MBP2016, each with their own 5Kv1 display) setups, but both are on Mojave for the moment (I never update the latest macOS for 3-4 months, for precisely these reasons).

Suggest you revert back to Mojave, accordingly, and wait until .2 or .3.

Reactions: Taucher669

Diamond Dog

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2018
No idea. I have the same (Mac Mini 2018 & 15MBP2016, each with their own 5Kv1 display) setups, but both are on Mojave for the moment (I never update the latest macOS for 3-4 months, for precisely these reasons).

Suggest you revert back to Mojave, accordingly, and wait until .2 or .3.
Does your Mini 2018 drive the 5K display pretty well?

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006

I tried secure mode
new user account
No difference
Cheers
Try this... not sure if it’ll fix your issue, but it’s worth a shot: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ4H2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb‑c-cable-08-m

That’s the cable I use.

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Is the Apple gonna discontinue this once the Pro Display comes out?
Unlikely. The monitor just recently received a refresh, which is the most likely indicator that it won't be discontinued. Second would be the fact that they occupy very different markets. The Pro Display XDR costs a whole lot more (about 4-6x more, depending on which version you go with), partly because it has features that home users (including enthusiasts) aren't likely to have any use for. The Ultrafine represents a pricey monitor but it's still a reasonable purchase for enthusiasts.

If Apple releases a cheaper Pro Display XDR then I'd worry about the Ultrafine being no longer promoted by Apple and possibly discontinued. For now, I think it's safe.

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
Does your Mini 2018 drive the 5K display pretty well?
Yes fine. I do have (self-installed) 64GB RAM, though I doubt that makes much difference. I also run it one step higher than direct 2:1 ratio 1440p emulation (can't remember offhand, maybe 1680 or something?).

EDIT: It's mode 4 of 5; 2880x1620 (as opposed the middle mode 3, 2:1 option; 2560x1440).
Unlikely. The monitor just recently received a refresh, which is the most likely indicator that it won't be discontinued. Second would be the fact that they occupy very different markets. The Pro Display XDR costs a whole lot more (about 4-6x more, depending on which version you go with), partly because it has features that home users (including enthusiasts) aren't likely to have any use for. The Ultrafine represents a pricey monitor but it's still a reasonable purchase for enthusiasts.

If Apple releases a cheaper Pro Display XDR then I'd worry about the Ultrafine being no longer promoted by Apple and possibly discontinued. For now, I think it's safe.
Yeah v2 of the LG 5K3K only just came out a few weeks ago now offering the full 5K over vanilla USB-C mode along with TB3 mode – for 2018 and later iPad Pro usage (took them long enough to fulfil that claimed promise from last years iPad Pro announcement –though it only does 4K on it anyway(!)– and is still the only 5K3K able to connect to it).

I highly doubt Apple will release any newer display (outside the XDR) for at least 2-4 years, when the next big tech things happen to make it worthwhile (8 or 10K, micro/mini LED, with TB4 to power it!) – and even then, I'd reckon it's safe to say it'll unfortunately be a 'super-pro' multi-thousand priced item only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2018
Thank you for that info, @jimthing! I think I may just end up going with one of the UltraFine 5K displays. Everything else just seems like too big of a compromise to me, either in sharpness or usable desktop space.

PiratX

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Greece, Athens
So, what display from the Ultrafine you would choose? I want a display for my MBP 15 2019 (i9). I've seen many options and always read something bad about each one, so I am thinking that the Ultrafine is the ultimate solution - it's Mac compatible after all.

I am comparing those:

and 5k2k was on that list but removed cause of review 2.8/5, it's too bad.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006
So, what display from the Ultrafine you would choose? I want a display for my MBP 15 2019 (i9). I've seen many options and always read something bad about each one, so I am thinking that the Ultrafine is the ultimate solution - it's Mac compatible after all.

I am comparing those:

and 5k2k was on that list but removed cause of review 2.8/5, it's too bad.

27-inch LG UltraFine 5K is still what I would buy if I was in the market for a new monitor today.

Reactions: PiratX

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Accidentally scratch my monitor. Anyone know if I can polish it or using like toothpaste to remove the mark?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Has anyone tried new 16” on monitor? Concerned about fan noise. 13” would be quiet or barely audible when plugged in, how is 16”?

Reactions: Ener Ji

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I need help with the new LG UltraFine 5K sold by Apple:

It came with 2 cables, 1 thunderbolt (for Mac) and 1 usb-c (for iPad). Each only works with their device, the cables can't be interchanged.

Is there for sale anywhere 1 cable that I could plug into my Mac or iPad to use either whenever I wanted?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013

It came with 2 cables, 1 thunderbolt (for Mac) and 1 usb-c (for iPad). Each only works with their device, the cables can't be interchanged.

Is there for sale anywhere 1 cable that I could plug into my Mac or iPad to use either whenever I wanted?
Is it not possible to use tb3 cable in main port and c in another? Have the older version that only does tb3. The 4k monitor does one cable for both but thats not tb3 anyway of course.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
It is not, there is only one "in" port on the monitor, the rest are downstream shared from there like a hub.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011

There are cable for that, but it's really short to make it compatible with both USB-C and TB3.

Such as this one.

Reactions: hobbbz

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
There are cable for that, but it's really short to make it compatible with both USB-C and TB3.

Such as this one.

31" if anyone is checking it out. Plenty to get to my MBP or iPad on my desk.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006
Since upgrading to macOS Catalina, I’m seeing two issues which are quite annoying with my UltraFine 5K:

1. When unplugging and replugging the USB-C cable to my 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro, I lose network connectivity via my gigabit Ethernet adapter. I have tried multiple adapters. The issue is reliably reproducible. Sometimes it takes a long time for me to be able to use the Ethernet adapter again, even after multiple reboots. Wi-Fi works fine regardless.

2. When my laptop starts, it is always using full brightness. It doesn’t remember where I left it before.

Again, these behaviors started after upgrading to Catalina.

The monitor is great, but I really miss having a “dumb” connection from laptop to monitor.

judahde

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
Funny you mention that. My usb-c network dongle was slooooooow. Disconnect and use wireless.... rocket ship fast.