LG V20?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Surf Donkey, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

First rumors I have heard about this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-launch-release-703081/

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They need to right their misstep ... I would have loved to try the V10 but honestly the biggest hurdle for me has always been LG's skin.

3. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Glad to hear they haven't given up on the V range as the V10 was quite the beastly thing. Looking forward to the V20 brings, they must not hold back.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

The V10 was a nice phone...very nice camera. But the battery life was not upto par to be honest.
    Hopefully the V20 would have a bigger battery.

5. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

So I heard, did you have one?

The issue with the V10 is it essentially had a 5.9inch display with the 2nd screen but just a 3000mAh battery, I hope they don't make that mistake again.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I did have V10 for a while. I liked the phone. I like the 2nd screen to handle notifications. It worked great and the camera was very nice. But for me the battery life was about 3.5 to 4 hours SOT. That is just lot good enough for how I use a phone. But the battery is removable and it has an SD card too. I'll bet they could go to a 4000 mAh battery if they made it non removable though.

7. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Very nice, I can see the uses of that 2nd screen, they really had something nice going there.

The damn thing never even made it down here, which was weird as LG always give us their best devices, guess it was more of a market tester type device.

Lets hope V20 has a 4000mAh battery.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah september unveiling apparently. We wait and see if LG can redeem their fortunes this year,

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Mixed feelings about this one. Can you recoup the lost space on that 2nd screen and extend the main screen onto it? I do think it's great that they are pushing Nougat onto it, that shames others like Samsung which has Marshmallow on the Note 7.

10. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

The screen is separate and cannot be combined with the main display. Agree on Nougat and the N7

11. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Simple projections:

Same size screen and screen setup.
    AMOLED
    4000 mah battery
    Probably 128 gig option
    4 or 6 gigs of RAM

12. MRU, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I hope it has more global LTE Band support. I have been tempted on multiple occasions to buy a V10 however as it doesnt support 800mhz band 20 for LTE it makes it sadly unusable for me.

So whatever they release to replace the V10, i hope they make it properly global this time.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Was checking out the Note7 online today and thought to myself, I really like the rounded sides. Rounder than the S7 edge. But it looks like a slightly upgraded S7 edge with an S-Pen. LG finally wised up with the screen resolution...

LG V20 -
    "5.5 / 1080p (hooray, no QHD!)
    4000 mAh (hopefully, removable)
    Nougat
    Lower subsidized price

Don't let me down, LG. I am a bit worried about their custom skin. LG's can 'almost' be as laggy as Samsung's. This phone might pull an upset over the iPhone 6se for me since it will already arrive with Nougat and that 4000 mAh removable battery to power only Full HD. G5 was such a huge disappointment when it came to battery life. V20 should be considered LG's true 2016 flagship.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Wow, 1080p in 2016/almost 2017? snapdragon 820 also rumored. I hope they slim down the bezels some, without a fp reader on the front there is no need for such a large chin. I can't see this quieting the LG death knell anytime soon. Phones these days either win on loyalty (iPhone), features (note 7/s7) or price, and LG doesn't seem to check off any of those boxes. Releasing a plain, overpriced lackluster phone has already been done by HTC with the 10.

Still, I'll be curious what they release, maybe they will surprise us. Even though the G5 was a flop, I still applaud them for trying something new. LG always seems to have a surprise or 2 up its sleeve.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I believe the 5.5" 1080p screen source was a bit iffy - even the site reporting it said take it with a grain of salt.

Other reports / sites are claiming that LG are listening to their customers and as well as releasing it with Nougat are going to utilise a very stock skin and adopt most of the google apps as its defaults. But again we wait and see and I remain skeptical...

16. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

17. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

LG have a certain yearly pattern going:
    The LG Optimus G was okay
    The LG G2 was incredible
    The LG G3 was average
    The LG G4 was amazing, V10 was even better
    The LG G5 is average, V20 may just be the same

That means the G6 and V30 next year are going to be great, lol.

18. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I see a pattern!

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I saw the v20 renders, still have those large bezels bleh. I'm also not a fan of the top screen taking up space. Looks like LG is up for another loss this year.

20. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Yep. Design is terrible. Looks plain and dull. Plus again the modular design which I think hasn't really worked for the G5, so I guess the V20 will be another flop.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Lately, LG's skins have been worse than TW. Just think about how bad that is.

22. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

but TW has been steadily getting better, so that's not saying much. In fact, I've always thought LG's skin has been inferior to TW.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If any company needs to embrace a good dose of stock aesthetics it's LG. Surprisingly though I don't find those renders to be too bad. Not as ugly as I thought it may be.

24. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The V20 was supposed to be the premium phone from LG this year. alas, they got lazy and are using the same craptastic modular failure known as the G5. Maybe they should call this the G5S?

The whole "friends" modularity has been a failure. They have tried to get OEM's and privateers to make new 'friends' for their G5, but no one wants to be their friend. Sad face.

Not to mention the horrible plastic paint job on the G5, the piss poor quality control with misaligned gaps and issues with the sharp edges at the connection points. The G5 was terrible. They should have evolved the V10. That was a nice phone!