LG Viewty: oh dear oh dear.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

I've just seen and played with the new LG Viewty. Oh dear, far removed from the ease of the iPhone and not just saying that from an iPhone owner perspective but generally from a phone view point.

Navigation wasn't very intuitive. Smaller dimensions and lighter but felt plasticky and fragile. Screen not as good either.

As the owner said, "it's a camera masquerading as a phone"

2. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

haha...just what i would expect from an iPhone copy.....good try....sort of :rolleyes:

3. Devil's Refugee thread starter macrumors 6502

SMS/ text input was via a touchscreen equivalent of a normal phone (numeric keypad) but he said you couldn't text fast because the touch screen didn't pick up every key stroke. I demo'd the iPhone's keyboard and typed in a message faster than him.

The response was the usual "ah, but my phone was free!"

Fair dos, but you can't hide behind that excuse forever....

4. captastro macrumors newbie

Ah yes, but you get what you pay for.

5. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I think people just need to realize iPhone is the future and get one. Nevermind Bitching about the price or whatever. Its the best thing I've bought for a while and probably will be!

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I love all these "I played with this Iphone killer, and that Iphone wanna be" storys and views. Kinda makes you think that the competition is really trying to get something to come even close to the iPhone. Depending on where you live AT&T service is great than again in some area's not so great. No carrier is perfect, thats for sure.

I

7. kpxbabii macrumors newbie

i'm sorry.. but no.

i have them both and the viewty is much better.
    however the browser on iphone is more efficient.

8. Pookieinc macrumors member

How did this person get it for free?

9. Matteh117 macrumors regular

My brother has the new Samsung and he uses the exact excuse! :)

That phone is crud though.. interface is so slow and only responds to half the touches. Also, in some apps when you move your finger down it scrolls down, others it scrolls up! And the web browser... ugh!

iPhone wins again.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

More than likely on contract. Normally you get free phones when you take out a contract - the iPhone is the only phone that isn't subsidized.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I got my other half a Viewty at the weekend.

For her uses it's not too bad at all - she doesn't go online on her phone, the UI isn't bad, the camera is excellent (and puts the one in the iPhone to shame) and most importantly it was a free upgrade on her existing O2 contact.

For the things she uses it for (taking pictures and making phone calls, bluetoothing pictures around, MMS, texting, plus listening to the radio - she has a proper iPod if she wants music), it's as good or better than the iPhone. It's not good for browsing at all which would drive me mad, but that's why I got an iPhone.

However, special mention must go out to the sync software, which is the most fundamental garbage I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. Since I have a memory card reader I only needed to transfer her contacts over, but there are no Mac drivers and the Windows drivers do not work in Vista in any fashion. Avoid installing it at all costs.

Phazer

12. hanzerius macrumors newbie

LG Viewty not too bad!

One thing that the LG Viewty has that the I phone doesn't is a kick ass camera. Infact the LG is as much a camera as it is a phone!

The iPhone doesn't even have a flash!

The next generation of the iphone hopefully has a half decent camera with flash, for those late nights out on the town with friends. Then I will get one!

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: The iPhone is subsidized.

14. greggov macrumors member

But when that post was written, it was not. Feb 2008. Still the first gen iPhone. It wasn't subsidized until July 2008 with the 3G.

15. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

This is a picture of it for anyone wondering.

[​IMG]

snverhallen

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

A friend of mines had this one, and broke the screen 2 days later.

17. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Is it me, or does that REALLY look very similar an iPhone? :rolleyes:
    Damn, it even have the chrome going around the edge.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You DO realize that for a decade before the iPhone was even an idea, there were dozens of different handheld models that looked almost alike?

There's a whole other set of phone models that share much more in common with each other than with the iPhone... they all have Send and End buttons for one thing.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No, I'm pretty sure Apple came up with the idea of the handhand mobile phone, having a touch screen, having internet access on a cellphone, and having a music player of the phone. Apple is the real innovator here. Haven't you heard Steve Jobs talk about innovation? In fact, he invented innovation. ;)

And the fact that the LG fits in the palm of your hand makes it another iPhone copier. :p

But, seriously, the ONLY thing that LG may have copied from Apple is the chrome molding, that's all.

20. svndmvn Guest

sort of true, LG even stated Apple copied them with the iPhone's design.
    I think the Prada Model was out before the iPhone
    I still find true the Storm and some Nokia designs going away from Nokia's typical concepts and starting to steal some design choices from Apple.

21. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think you need to realize that people will like all sorts of phones. I tried to get some friends of mine to get an iphone, they didnt like the phone and would not compromise the features they need, like i did and get an iphone.

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My thoughts exactly.

Insofar as it's a cellphone maybe. Your car looks like my car - it has tires!! UGH!!!

23. Scoops macrumors newbie

Having lived with this phone for the last year, let me tell you a few things about it...

Firstly, the chrome trim which makes it look a bit like the iPhone flakes off after a bit leaving it looking a little tatty.

The camera that everyone seems to think is so good, isn't. In my experience getting a good still shot is very hit and miss with exposure and focusing issues galore. On paper it sounds great but it just isn't consistent enough. When it gets a picture right it does okay but not particularly better than my older Nokia N73 which gets the picture right 90% of the time. Looking at good light pictures in the 'Picture of the Day' thread, there isn't a huge amount of difference between them. More detail on the LG but you would expect that. Still, remember this is a mobile and is a snapshot camera at best, not a patch on the most basic decent dedicated camera. One area where it does well however is video. Lots of options including a super slow motion setting which is good fun. Quality is surprisingly good and since the iPhone can't do video out of the box, there is no comparison.

The user interface is, in my opinion, woeful. It takes far too many key presses to get anything done. The screen doesn't always register your touch and when it does the UI can't keep up particularly smoothly. Try browsing though a Gigabyte of photos, not for the impatient. The user experience on the iPhone is WORLDS apart from the LG - there is simply no getting away from it.

Built in applications cover all the main things but the phone just can't keep up and many apps aren't responsive enough in comparison to iPhone and of course there aren't any other apps available unlike the Apple solution. Browsing the web is really a tiresome exercise although it can be done if you aren't in a rush!

Forget about proper syncing - even photos! I had to compose an Automator script so it would import my photos to iPhoto (although it does video fine) and although the bluetooth file transfer works it is strangely limited to 36kps on my iMac while the Nokia goes twice as fast.

The Viewty has two good things going for it - It is available free on contract (it is getting on a bit in phone terms) and you can get it on any network. My phone was on the 3 network so coverage was fine. In the end, it can't match the iPhone as a serious alternative, mine has just sold for £75 and I am off to do what I should have done some time ago... get an iPhone.

24. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think it's a decent phone tbh. I love my iPhone and all but the viewty aint bad. Browser sucks on it and the touch screen isn't the most sensitive. It sells like crazy here in Ireland because it is cheap on pay as you go and the iPhone is not.

€189 vs €500

Not everyone wants to be tied to an iPhone on a contract... :)

25. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Alot of things have chrome molding. Did Apple copy it from Lincoln?