Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141556-lg_vl600.jpg

Last week, we noted that Verizon had released updated software finally bringing Mac OS X compatibility to the Pantech UML290, one of the carrier's two 4G (LTE) modems available for customer purchase.

Just over a week later, Verizon has now delivered a new version of its VZAccess Manager to add compatibility for its other 4G USB modem, the LG VL600.

141714-verizon_lg_vl600_software.jpg

Like the Pantech UML290, the LG VL600 is priced at $99.99 with a two-year data contract. The device is also available for $169.99 on a one-year contract and $249.99 for month-to-month service.

Monthly data plans are priced at $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB, with a $10 per GB overage fee. The carrier's 4G network promises speeds ten times that of its existing 3G network, and Verizon is working to deploy full nationwide 4G coverage by the end of 2013.

Article Link: LG VL600 Becomes Verizon's Second Mac-Compatible 4G Modem

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Who in their right mind is going to pay that much monthly for that? Not me. Bring your prices down to 40 a month for unlimited data and then we'll talk.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Someone please translate what "32-bit only" means as far as how it affects users.

I'm no Mac driver guy, but usually if this involves a kernel extension, you would need to run your kernel in 32-bits.

If they don't have any kernel extension, it shouldn't matter, unless you have packets larger than 4GB...

I might be wrong, but that's my assumption.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Someone please translate what "32-bit only" means as far as how it affects users.
It means you have to run your Mac with a 32-bit kernel, which is btw how all Macs are still configured to do by default (at least this was the case when the 64-bit kernel hit the streets with 10.6.0).
Running with a 64-bit kernel can speed up things a bit (5 to 10% perhaps) with a number of apps (eg, Aperture).

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Who in their right mind is going to pay that much monthly for that? Not me. Bring your prices down to 40 a month for unlimited data and then we'll talk.

How can you justify that? $40 for unlimited would allow you to effectively use it as your home internet connection, especially in conjunction with a 4G wireless router. You could put 50, 100, 200+ GB over it in a month. That's not what wireless is designed for - there's only a limited amount of spectrum. No matter how great their network, do you really believe that they could support a city full of people using it as a constant internet connection? There has to be caps - you can argue that the ones Verizon has aren't reasonable or priced appropriately, but I think its hard to argue for an absolutely unlimited connection unless its very throttled after a particular point.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It means you have to run your Mac with a 32-bit kernel, which is btw how all Macs are still configured to do by default (at least this was the case when the 64-bit kernel hit the streets with 10.6.0).
Running with a 64-bit kernel can speed up things a bit (5 to 10% perhaps) with a number of apps (eg, Aperture).

So it's an option for users to choose to run their system in 32 or 64 bit? That's just selected somewhere?

adainat

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Clear Box

Hey,

I don't get why this is so important.

I've been using a 4G Clear Spot box for about 5 months. It works in all major parts of california (and most of them in 4G, otherwise in 3G), and is a wifi hot spot. It's portable too, so works on a battery.

It's $60 for unlimited bandwidth, and is usually just a bit slower than the fastest DSL I can get.

It certainly is cheaper than $10/day at hotels.

So, why is a plug in modem that can only download 5GB of bandwidth for $50/month a good deal?

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Honestly, is this really Page 1 news? I can kind of see how the first one was relevant, as it demonstrated an Apple/Verizon relationship. But honestly, why is this one up here? It has hardly anything to do with Mac, and it's not a Rumor. Why not post every new accessory compatible with Mac?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
$40 for unlimited would allow you to effectively use it as your home internet connection, especially in conjunction with a 4G wireless router. You could put 50, 100, 200+ GB over it in a month. That's not what wireless is designed for - there's only a limited amount of spectrum.

And this is a technicality that wireless providers will have to work out. It's looking more and more as if home Internet access will one day be handled by wireless companies. But if these prices hold steady, we'll continue to see an ever-widening divide between those who can afford speedy Internet access and those who cannot.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
The OSX Kernel can run both 32bit and 64bit apps regardless of which state it is in. The only major difference is increased security and more memory usage with the 64bit kernel.

toomuchmac

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Colorado
Speeds

I was all ready to buy one of these (actually the pantech) when it was released. Was all checked out almost and then realized it was windoze only. I bought the pantech a week ago or so when it became mac-compatible. Ditched my 3G mifi for it.

The pantech one can go vertically where as this LG sticks out horizontally. The VZW rep did not know that a Mac can share this out over wifi making it a big mifi.

Anyway, I've used it for about a week. Speeds are as advertised. I got a little over 15mbps down with about 4.2mbps up in Denver and then about 8.1mbps down and 1.5mbps up in San Francisco. Ping (latency) was usually around 205ms. Video iChat was great.

32 or 64 bit...this is very fast for "cellular" mobile internet. :D

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
Here in Germany you can get 3G/HSDPA sticks that are paid month to month wi/o contract and which are Mac compatible for 20 or 30€.

$249 sounds heavily overpriced. Is CDMA hardware really that expensive or is it Verizon who is ripping you off?

Christian

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Here in Germany you can get 3G/HSDPA sticks that are paid month to month wi/o contract and which are Mac compatible for 20 or 30€.

$249 sounds heavily overpriced. Is CDMA hardware really that expensive or is it Verizon who is ripping you off?

Christian

This isn't CDMA. It's the new technology Verizon is implementing called LTE. It is based off of GSM technology and it is faster than CDMA and GSM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.