Life after 50 is not for sissies!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jun 5, 2015.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

While I consider the last few years as a more or less successful bid for greater happiness and understanding, other issues crop up with age that are not so easy.

Weight loss - much harder now than decades ago

Energy level - far, far less

Sex drive - what's that?

Aspirations - just getting bills paid on time, dishes done, getting to bed on time

Health - got to check another suspicious mole, glasses have to be strengthened, a few more teeth have to be repaired, and many favorite foods have to be reduced

But sometimes these disappointing episodes have made me much more humble, and maybe humble is the necessary precursor to happiness. I find the less that I want the happier I am. It's kind of funny when I had more youth and more money, I was more miserable and spent more time dwelling on what I didn't have. But now that I have less, and am gauged less by society I am able to appreciate what I do have and can also be happier for what I did have and be thankful that I was so fortunate. The great experiences I had in my youth that didn't touch me have come to mean something today.

How are y'all holding up past 50?

2. JohnR macrumors member

JohnR

Just turned 50 last December and honestly, things haven't changed much for me. Still feel like I'm in my 20's except for nagging pain that won't go away...like in my knee.

3. Huntn, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My 92 year old Grandma used to wear a button with that exact message.

I listened to a bit by George Lopez basically implying that old sex is better in the dark if and when you partake. ;) Do you really want to look at an old wrinkly, tubby body? For both of you, there is probably no desire to have some old nasty thing near your face. (George Lopez's words) Enjoy it when you are young. ;)

Metal fillings are out, literally falling out and most of my molars have been capped. I've been told by their nature, metal fillings when you chew, puts lateral stress on the tooth and 30 years later, you end up with cracked teeth.

Fortunately my health, besides a bad back, vision that is slowly deteriorating, and fighting my weight is decent, although I've lost 10 lbs by cutting out dessert on a regular basis. Today most likely is the best day of the rest of your life. It's all down hill from here. :)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What a relief! Now I can coast!!! :)

It does take longer to heal from an illness or an injury. But, other than that, I don't feel like I'm almost 60.

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I am 47. I used to be overweight, so when I finally lost the weight, I did everything I could to keep it off. I weigh in twice a day every day. I run at least 3 miles 3 days a week. I run 5k's and do some strength training (need to do more).

Unfortunately, my energy comes from caffeine as I probably don't eat enough (bad way to keep weight down, I know).

Little sex drive (since the wife doesn't have much drive at all, it works out, I guess...)

Aside from kidney stones, I have had no health issues at all. Teeth are great. My recovery time from giving blood, which I do every 56-60 days, seems to be longer.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I guess I've gone in the opposite direction than most. I turned 51 in January, I've gone from weighing 275 pounds to 140 pounds over the last 20 years and I've joined a gym. The weight loss is due to changing my diet for better health and I'm beginning to see my thin frame take a more muscular shape due to adopting a weight lifting regimen. My diet these days consists of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, legumes and water. Sometimes I eat lean beef, chicken or turkey, but that is the limit of my meat consumption.

My stats:
    Height: 66 inches
    Weight: 140
    Medications: none
    Medical problems: none
    Blood pressure: 112 over 78

I refuse to be that obese, highly medicated, scooter-dependent old man that are so prevalent in the world these days.

7. maflynn, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I turned 50 last December and I have to say I have none of those symptoms. I ran my first 1/2 marathon last year (I've been running for a good 20+ years but it was my first 1/2 marathon), I got my black belt in karate this past May. I work out 6 days a week.

I don't know what you're physical activity level is, but maybe that could help.

8. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I apologize for posting as i'll be turning 22 here very shortly and this thread isn't meant for me. I just had a question that would be greatly appreciated and would help me out as a person. What do you wish you knew at 22 that you know now? What's the "bigger" picture on life as you have experienced and how you view it in your stage of life. Thank you again it's much appreciated. Just to be clear I am saying this in the most sincere way I know how and I mean no disrespect in any way/shape/form. I'm just asking a group one man to another.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Well, 50 is starting to seem pretty far in the rear view mirror.

Other than the usual platitudes, I can offer two bits of advice.

First, reducing or eliminating sugar (and simple starches) in the diet will do a surprising amount for you in many areas of your life. Your mother was right -- too much sugar is bad for you. (Well, that is what the previous generation of mothers used to say.) It is just that, over 50, any added sugar is too much sugar.

Second, keep walking, keep moving. I find a step counter actually does help, because, it helps you realize just how little you move when seated at a desk or in front of a computer, as opposed to, say, doing the laundry or working in the garden, let along going for a real walk.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'll answer you with the same sincerity in which you asked the question. It's funny how so much of life's true wisdom sounds like clichés, but they're really true.

The best things in life are not things.
    Love people and use things, not the other way around.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.

And two rules to live by:
    Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.

And personally, I find getting older to be hysterical fun!

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Age is just a number. Don't let the fact you are 50 hold you back. A good friend of mine turned 50 last year and he is as fit as ever. He cycles, plays football (soccer), and his weight hasn't noticeably changed in the 24 years I've known him.

12. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Age is in fact just a number. I've met some 20 year olds i've considered old. "old" as in the way they lived. I always considered my grandfather to be one of the youngest souls i've ever known. He was wise and young at heart and very very active. I look forward to growing as a person day by day year by year and getting wiser as I get older. I just really need to continue to learn to enjoy every moment and not worry so much about the future. Just need to take it a day at a time and live in the present. One thing that i've learned the hard way is that you need to enjoy everyone who's important to you because they can be gone just like that. One hour never better to gone...it's just so precious and fragile. Pardon my run on sentences. Always was excellent at spelling but I never did like punctuation.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I wish I knew back then that we are all in it together and now with genetics we know we are literally all a family. Since we are all on this planet and haven't ventured out yet, this gives us a lot to think about how we treat each other.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

50 is still a youngster to me.:cool:

70 years, still having the time of my life. I retired on a full pension at 55 years it was the best decision of my life.

I still drive my classic sports car, just for fun, no particular place to be, and all the time in the world to get there. I sail my boat in the season May till September in the inland water ways, I also still cycle around the city, like every other Dutch person does.

I take regular trips around the European major cities to take in the culture. So far this year Berlin, London, Vilnius, Gothenburg. There are more planned

I also have the time to read the books in my collection a collection that was started by my grandfather. I still collect comics (US style). I have been to the San Diego ComicCon, plus ComicCons in New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh. In the past, I do plan to go at least once more to the SDCC.

I also help out as a volunteer, at the animal ambulance.(mostly in the winter)

I regularly go out to the films, ballet, concerts, (these include classical, rock, and jazz). I am studying Russian, have been for 2 years. I have taken courses in Italian cooking, I am going to start Spanish cooking lessons later this year.

I have taken longer trips two months travelling in the USA, Chicago to San Fancisco via Vancouver. This gives me the time to really see the country and it’s people.

I have in the past done similar trips to other parts of the USA, Australia & NZ, Southern Africa.

I help out with my granddaughters up bringing (only do the nice things), last month I took them to see Ariana Grande in Amsterdam.

My health is so far good, I have no aches or pains take no medicine.

I drink but in moderation, I gave up smoking 30 years ago.

As to sex drive, I always found having a younger wife helped me get it back.:D

I have been married three times.;)

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I am 55 and could not feel better. Except for a minimal weight gain over the last few years, I am happy with what age has brought. Especially with retirement becoming so close. Looking forward to it. I guess I have been fortunate to be in good physical health.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It is a number, and I understand the positive message, but I don't think its the number that bothers most people, it's the knees, back, earring and vision deterioration, mental aging, etc that alters your behavior. I used to run religiously until my back could no longer tolerate it, now I walk. :)

17. gertruded, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

gertruded macrumors regular

Age 77 here. Almost half of the people that were born in 1938 have passed. Life is still good, but getting to your old age is not for sissies.

Live so you will not have any regrets. Way too many people I have known worked way too hard, chased money way too long, an passed with deep regrets that they missed life. Love and be loved, enjoy your family and friends, and you may know peace.

18. Roller macrumors 68020

There's much that I wish I had known at 22, which was, for me, 40 years ago. But perhaps the number one bit would have been advice to begin to invest for retirement earlier than I did. Even if you continue to work because you enjoy it, having the freedom to retire in your 50s (or even earlier) is a gift you can give yourself if you plan and spend wisely.

19. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I'll be 59 soon. My 50s have been some of the best years of my life, mostly because I have sufficient disposable income to do most of the things I want to do. Health is good, although I did get a new heart valve last year. Leaving in a couple days for a month-long European vacation with my wife. Life is good.

20. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I could not agree with you more. The body is probably the weakest link when it comes to age. Even if you treat it like a temple, it can fail. I struggled for a while when I turned 50 that I was going to have to slow down some, that I was no longer 30 and a young man. It was hard when I was always so active.

21. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I just have to realize that it just takes a little more work to maintain but that's OK.

Gone are the days where I can eat junk food, stay up late, and still not gain one ounce.

Blood pressure and all other vitals check out excellent but the perfect package for me would be to have those numbers but lose around 20 pounds. 30 pounds would look the best but 20 pounds is healthy BMI for body build. The last few years I realized that the five pounds coming off easily here and there just doesn't happen the way it did in my 30s and into early 40s.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    My prostate is the size of a grapefruit, and I have to pee all the time, but beyond that, old age has been good to me.

I'm 35.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Metabolism changes with age, when I was 20 I could eat a whole pizza and not have any after effects now I cannot.

I think maintaining an active life style is key, it helps you physically and mentally. I agree with the others, 50 is just a number. I've probably not "matured" one iota since my 20s, I still good around and act like a 20 something. Why grow up, its boring :D

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Other than that pesky cancer thing and all its side effects, I'm healthier now than when I was in my 20's, and happier than at any age prior to hitting the half century mark. I have no plans on retiring any time soon, I'm enjoying what I'm doing (both jobs!), and don't have to prove anything to anyone.

The only thing I've had to give up is ice cream, as I've been hit by that middle-age lactose intolerance that so many of get.

That being said, my mother (81) works 6 days/week, at least 8 hours/day and is in amazing health and spirit. We should all aspire to that. It makes 50 seem like 15.

25. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Trust me is you will feel the best during your 27th year. At that time you will be at the peak of adult life (for energy and sex)! ;)