Life after OS X...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by randomerratum, Jul 20, 2010.

1. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I can't find a (recent) thread about this so...

What do you think? In light of Apple's recent ambitions, interests and acquisitions, where do you think the Mac OS is headed? I remember that when OSX was first introduced, Jobs said it was the platform to take them through the next 10 years... seeing as the 10 year mark is just around the corner, are we really nearing the end?

What's next? OS 11? iOS? Or something else entirely?

They've certainly been shaking things up and Apple doesn't make changes arbitrarily. Everything they've ever done ends up making sense in the long run... the groundwork is there for something big, so from what we're observing out of Cupertino recently, what do you think they're up to?

Give us your best and most outrageous speculation!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Jobs said, Mac OS X is here for two decades, so there are still ten years to go.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

He's also said that there's "no reason to have video on an iPod." Steve tends to change his mind on these things.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That may be true, but iOS is not a proper replacement for Mac OS X and touch input on desktop and notebook computers is still overrated anyway. Do you want to type your thesis by holding up your arms and touching the screen?

5. mac2x macrumors 65816

I agree. There's a dude in my calculus class with some kind of touch screen notebook. The screen is just nasty....

It will be very difficult for touch screen to replicate the ease of typing in a physical keyboard. Neither will it satisfy graphic artists who often use the mouse to do intricate things.

6. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Well who's to say that if there is a change, it would necessarily be iOS ported on a desktop? Why a modified version of iOS, or something that would take cues from iOS but not be iOS, perhaps OS 11?

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

My opinion is that OS X is here to stay for a long time.
    Since Apple has democratized development for the Mac through XCode, it's going to be very hard for them to come up with something entirely new that might raise important compatibility issues, unless they don't mind pissing off a LOT of people. Moreover, OS X works great; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    What I believe would/could be the next steps:
    - more integration of multi-touch technology, as seems to indicate the magic trackpad, possibly touchscreens for the Mac;
    - possibly integrating iOS, not as a substitute, but in terms allowing mac users to directly run iPhone/iPad Apps on their mac, there are a bunch of apps out there that can be quite useful on a non-mobile device.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

OS 11 will be full multi-touch. The age of the mouse will be dead.

We're getting there, slowly. MacBooks' trackpads, the iPhone and now the iPad are definitely the beginning of this transition. Soon we'll see more improvements in laptops and desktops that will see multi-touch play a key component in the Mac operating system.

This is the beginning. OS 11 will be huge. And I doubt they'll call it "OS 11." Doesn't roll off the tongue very well. :)

9. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'd like to see the dock enhanced in some ways. I like the dock at the bottom of the screen, but I don't like how I will accidently click on things when using an application at times. I know you can hide it but I don't want to do that. I also like to see something where I can snap windows to the side of the screen like in Windows 7.

It will be interesting to see where Apple takes OSX 10.7

10. randomerratum thread starter macrumors 6502

In the Macworld keynote (2000?) where they first gave a preview of OSX (a great watch, btw) Jobs concludes the demo by saying it's the foundation that they'll use to the end of the decade... or something to that effect.

I'm curious, when did he say 2 decades?

11. macoslion macrumors newbie

I'm not exactly sure, but I think when he told about Snow Leopard or somewhen after that. Maybe when he announced iOS4 (because iOS is Mac OS X-based).

But it was quite recently, that's for sure. :)

-lion

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

spinnerlys is correct. During the timeframe when Apple introduced MacOS X, it was stated that MacOS X would be the basis of Apple's OS for the next twenty years.

The OP claims that he cannot find and answer to his question about what will follow MacOS X. This is simply not true. This question is asked every few weeks, if not more often.

I agree with Bernard SG. MacOS X will be Apple's OS for the foreseeable future. There is a possibility that Apple may change the name of the OS at some point, but it will be an evolution of the current MacOS X with a new name.

It is interesting that the OP's question and those like it ignore what Apple has done over the last decade. Since Apple adopted its Unix-based OS, it has become the World's foremost proponent of UNIX. MacOS X began life as "Unix-compatible" and "POSIX-compliant." It is now certified UNIX 03. Apple has not only devoted the resources to ensure that MacOS X is certified UNIX; Apple has advanced UNIX with such technologies as zeroconf and purchased such technologies as CUPS. Apple has literally become the UNIX company.

After focusing its software resources on UNIX for the last decade and a half, Apple will not suddenly pivot and go into a new direction. A decade ago, Apple said that MacOS X would be with us for the next 20 years. Today, I see MacOS X with us for the next 30 years or more.

13. andre.rocha macrumors newbie

i hope that the next macos copies everything windows 7 has, everything windows 8 will have, and, introduce newer apple features. i am tierd of how expensive pc's are, having to upgrading the machine every 6months-1 year. i want to have a computer that gets better with time, and not old every 6months and so on...
    and something that looks pretty, both in design and content.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

15. AnodizedFish macrumors member

I just love the way Apple made OS X so intuitive and easy to use. Maybe that's the main idea, the user-friendliness that Windows is poorly lacking of... Yeah, they said that Windows 7 made PCs simpler, but OS X is better at it. Just look at OS X's setting and Windows 7's control panel. Which one is simpler to use and navigate? :eek:

16. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

My friends with macs always need me to find their settings they want to change in OS X. Just saying.

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That may be due to the fact, that they are accustomed to the Windows way. I used Windows for ten years or so and am using Mac OS X only for six, and even though I prefer the System Preferences to the Control Panel, I sometimes feel lost in SP and don't know where to click, as I still have problems locating the right preference sometimes. It might be easier if I use the search box though.

You could also send your friends the following links to learn more about Mac OS X.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

18. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

19. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have no opinions about OS X...or XI, BUT I take umbrage to the statement that graphic artists would rather use the mouse to do intricate things. I think many graphic artists would appreciate a new and more tangeable way of interacting with their art. Being able to directly interact with a shape or creating a mask by simple drawing ON the shape would be SOOO much better in my opinion, than utilizing a mouse.

Most artists like the feel of a pen or marker or brush in their hand as opposed to resting their hands on a mouse and being disconnected from their art.

20. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

That is because they are lazy and don't want to try and find it themselves. If they can't google something, they need help beyond just finding and changing preferences....

21. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Using one's fingers and hands is certainly more tangible, but not more accurate. Your point bout using a pen, marker, or brush is much more exciting to me than using my fingers to press on a piece of glass.

22. mstrze macrumors 68000

Sure...just not a mouse.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Maybe they'll just leave it at Mac OS.

For the next 20 years? hmm.

Anyways, I just hope 10.7 and 10.8 will still run on my computer.

24. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Theyve been on them for at least 4 years for most of em. Why does the Windows user troubleshoot people's Macs? BTW I look when they cant change the setting they want and stop in frustration. Simple things like changing the annoying screen dimming time really isnt as intuitive as you all think.

One friend couldnt change it after 3 minutes of trying. Another decided to download some program called Caffeine or something to stop it from doing it I guess. Now Im not saying Windows is always easier because EVERYONE finds things different, but lets not make this an "objective argument".