Life in Dallas, Texas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Muscle Master, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Does anyone live in Dallas.. whats it like out there, I plan to switch Hubs and Work for the New American Airlines at DFW Airport and for a $350,000 budget, I see some Amazing houses on the market.. that's a big plus for me

I plan to fly out there and see it for myself, but I would like to hear some natives also

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Isn't that an oxymoron?

I kid...I joke...I come from love.:p

:D

3. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I live in the Dallas area about 25 miles north of town. Dallas is great, as is Texas, thats why everyone is moving here. Great home prices, no state income tax. If you have school age kids don't live in the Dallas school district, lots of problems. Try Frisco, Southlake, Richardson or Plano.

:apple:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

On topic-ish. I avoid AA through DFW like the plague. Almost every time I've had a connection through there something bad happens. I even had to spend the night on a cot at the airport once to make my connection.

Never lived in TX, but I did enjoy time in Fort Worth and Houston for conferences.

MOD NOTE: Please remember that the forum rules state:

Let's try to keep this thread out of PRSI please.

B

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I live in The Colony, Texas. And yeah, I agree, Frisco/Plano are good areas.

Life is okay. Nothing spectacular really. Construction EVERYWHERE though.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Out of curiosity, what are property taxes like? The money's gotta be coming from somewhere.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I live in Grand Prairie, TX which is right in the heart of the DFW metroplex between Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm not a native Texan (been here 10 years) so I can speak with experience regarding what it's like to move here. Property values are definitely cheaper than most around the country and your budget will afford you quite a nice home depending on what part of town you choose. Property taxes are going to vary by the city/county. Where I live we pay a little over $3000 a year and our house is valued by the county at around $120,000.

One of the great things about the DFW is that you can literally find almost anything here. From posh city life to simple country life, you can find it all. Of course, we are talking about 6+ million people packed into 9000+ square miles so be prepared to drive and to learn traffic patterns. Not sure where you live now, but be prepared for hot weather and very little in terms of season change. It pretty much goes from hot to cold with very little fall or spring.

If you have any other specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The weather is harsher as compared to Houston. More storms, more chances of ice storms and snow, and colder in the winter, although cold if you've lived anywhere North of there is really a non-issue. ;)

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If your budget for a house is $350k you can just about take your pick of where to live - with exceptions, of course. It's not very expensive to live here. What type of industry are you in? Like any other city, Dallas is stronger in some industries and weaker in others.

The economy here doesn't seem to ride the highs and lows as extremely as much of the rest of the country - bubbles are much more subdued, and crashes are more like dips. Unemployment didn't seem to get as high here as it did in the rest of the country.

That being said, I love it here. I moved here 18 years ago and have no plans to leave.