Life On Mars-Final Episode.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chrismcfall, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Chrismcfall Suspended

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We'll be watching – or, at the very least, Sky+ing it and watching it a little later.

All will be revealed... ;)

3. dcv macrumors G3

I'll be watching, or like Jaffa Cake, recording it and watching it later. I just caught up on last week's episode a little earlier. Such a great series!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was just gonna make this thread :p

I cannot wait. The whole series is dripping in raw quality. Kudos have (again) done a great job and I expect the finale to be nothing short of TV genius. Got caught up reading into the theoretical outcomes today, and the great thing is there isn't one that sounds convincing. It's still a shame that they're ending it, really is a pinnacle of modern day TV. Suppose it's a way of keeping it from going stale.

On a side note I watched The Last Train last night, also written by Matthew Graham. He's just a little too good. Don't think I stopped crying after episode 4 :eek:

After the show edit: And that was ace :)

5. dcv macrumors G3

That was great, though quite bizarre!

Fantastic quote towards the end, cracked me up:

Ray: I met a bird, medical bird.
    Sam: Good nurses?
    Ray: Big tits, arse like two Cox's Pippins in a bag.
    Sam: She sounds enigmatic...
    Ray: No, she was from Barnsley.

:D

6. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Bloody brilliant. Will have to watch it again mind just to make sure I got the ending right in my mind !

And that sodding test card girl.. I had to mop up my cuppa I threw over my shoulder.. she wigs me out !!!!!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

dcv, my mum who has only seen this episode burst into laughter at that moment too :D really got us all laughing.

The way the test card girl snook on at the end was really creepy. I didn't even recognise her till she was stood infront of the camera! I really wish I recoded all these to EyeTV... looks like I'll have to get the DVD release now :eek:

Roll on Spooks series 6 :)

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

According to the BBC they are doing a follow-up show set in the same sort of basis. Gene Hunt will still be in it but he will have a new 'side-kick' a woman who has been injured in a kidnapping and thinks she is in 1981. I hope this works well and isn't just another money making spin-off.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Very, very good – dare I even say excellent. This is the sort of thing I pay my licence fee for. ;)

11. calculus Guest

calculus

It was indeed fine stuff. I am ashamed to say that the first series passed me by but I have been a faithful viewer of the second. I wonder if the spin-off will work as well?

12. dcv macrumors G3

I wish I'd EyeTV'd this series too... I've got a couple of episodes on my TV's hard disk recorder but no idea how to get them off there. I'm sure they'll probably repeat it again on BBC Four at some point though.

The spin-off series set in London in the 80s is supposed to be called "Ashes to Ashes"... should be good!

13. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

So, why did Sam jump? I guess he was too used to '73 and wanted to go back. Very, Very good episode though. Left me very confused though.

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Because he wasn't "alive" in the present day. Meetings with faceless drones, not doing an "real" police work as he now must view it and the disappointment in the life he has in the present day - plus the fact he has a full on robot chubby for Cartwright kinda seals the deal.
    I do like the way that they don't confirm whether life in '73 is coma induced or is he time travelling.

A great end to a great series.

15. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Life on mars is simply the best thing i've seen on TV, i will miss it greatly, it's the only programme i've ever looked forward to watching, shame it's finished, but i wouldn't want it to be like lost, i think finishing after 2 series is what made it great. i think we should definitely return to a policing style like that, and cut all this politically correct crap

i really don't know how there going to make Ashes to Ashes work, and to be honest i think it will ruin the great show that life on mars was, because we were left wandering is it a coma or is it real, but with ashes to ashes it must be real and that sort of ruins the feel to life on mars.

16. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I've been loving life on mars too, though I missed the first series because I thought it sounded silly but I really got in to in this time... I have to say I thought the ending was a little clumsy and rushed *ducks for cover* Am I the only person who thought so?

17. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

The coma had become a truer reality for him and the real world was left feeling empty. He wanted to get back and save his colleagues in the gun fight.

I didn't see the whole series - what was the significance of the little girl?

18. iGav macrumors G3

I thought the ending was nothing other than predictable. Certainly not deserving of the hype.

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The girl is from one of the old BBC Test Cards – she’s one of the mouthpieces for the modern world/Sam’s subconscious/Sam’s delusions, in the same way as the radio presenters and Open University lecturers start rattling on about operations and the like.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe the test card girl turning the TV off at the end symbolised Sam dying. And that Gene Hunt was his rebel side, or the side he wanted to tame but couldn't - which is why he can return in Ashes to Ashes.

That said - boooo. I have no excitement for Ashes to Ashes at this stage! They cannot milk this story. Plus setting it in London? Please god no.

21. iGav macrumors G3

Indeed.

The retuning of the car radio shortly prior to that was rather symbolic too.

22. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

I hated the S5 Finale, with the Thames Barrier?
    The previous season's final with Adam's wife was far better.

23. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

Oh yeah, and Gene's new car in the spinoff sounds ace:D
    Audi Quattro.

24. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I heard one really good theory in the Radio Times: Gene Hunt's name should be taken literally as he is the answer to Sam's hunt for his father e.g. genes.