Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I installed my case tonight and have to say the pillow effect is horrific so far.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Anybody know if you can use like apple bumpers with them? lol. That'd be pretty cool..I'm a girl so I like to add some color to my phone ;)

----------

I installed my case tonight and have to say the pillow effect is horrific so far.

Have you tried pushing it out? Like opening the latch where it covers the dock connector and pushing on the screen?

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
No way you can use a bumper on it. Yes I tried everything. It's beyond horrible.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
No way you can use a bumper on it. Yes I tried everything. It's beyond horrible.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard it goes away after a few days.

----------

Air normally gets trapped in when you close the case. Press the front of the case firmly against your chest with the palm of your hand against the back of the case to squeeze the air out. This should fix the problem.

It usually takes about a week for the case and screen to really settle in becoming the flattest possible. Your screen should be very tactile and responsive but it is normal for there to be a slight gap near the home button.

I grabbed this ^ from here: http://support.lifeproof.com/custom...w-do-i-get-rid-of-the-pillow-under-my-screen-

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011

You either got a bad case or you are not paying attention. I've put several on my phone and none have a "beyond horrible" pillow effect. Occasionally a little air may get in through the bottom ports or when you first install it. Just rub the front of the case against your pants leg or wipe it with a microfiber cloth. That pushes the air out and the pillow effect decreases. After a while the screen protector stretches out and it's no longer a problem.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
The problem is that there is a piece that sits on the inside of the screen protector around the earpiece area that when installed, it keeps the protector spaced away from the phone screen. This isn't something that will go away since it is a physical piece of the case. The pillow effect is unacceptable IMO and isn't something that will just go away or squeeze out with air. I've already squeezed the air out multiple times. I have the case on now so i'll see how it goes throughout the day and see if anything changes. I'll keep posted.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I've had mine since October. Coming from an Otterbox Defender, this case is super slim.

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 369

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
The problem is that there is a piece that sits on the inside of the screen protector around the earpiece area that when installed, it keeps the protector spaced away from the phone screen. This isn't something that will go away since it is a physical piece of the case. The pillow effect is unacceptable IMO and isn't something that will just go away or squeeze out with air. I've already squeezed the air out multiple times. I have the case on now so i'll see how it goes throughout the day and see if anything changes. I'll keep posted.

There is a tiny piece of Gore-tex over the earpiece so that it remains waterproof. I assume that's what you're talking about. Believe me, it does go away as the screen protector stretches over time, but it takes more than a day. And there is a slight difference in touchscreen sensitivity but it is very easy to get used to. But hey, it's your case. I really need a waterproof case that I can carry on the water and use for pictures. This case has optical glass covering the camera and it takes spectacular pictures through the case. An example:

x2mdkk.jpg

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I've had mine since October. Coming from an Otterbox Defender, this case is super slim.

What kind of car mount is that?

----------

There is a tiny piece of Gore-tex over the earpiece so that it remains waterproof. I assume that's what you're talking about. Believe me, it does go away as the screen protector stretches over time, but it takes more than a day. And there is a slight difference in touchscreen sensitivity but it is very easy to get used to. But hey, it's your case. I really need a waterproof case that I can carry on the water and use for pictures. This case has optical glass covering the camera and it takes spectacular pictures through the case. An example:

that is gorgeous.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Check the Facebook fan page there's lots of pics there, the company and helpful community of users who have had the case for awhile will answer all your questions related to the case. Have had mine for awhile and love everything about this case and company.

Polo2883

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
I have the case and I am getting putting it in the junk draw as soon as my new one gets here. This case is way to large. It feels awkward in my hands. Also only the OEM style cables charge the phone. Since I have Apple Care + I am okay with just a smaller case and no waterproof protection.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I have the case and I am getting putting it in the junk draw as soon as my new one gets here. This case is way to large. It feels awkward in my hands. Also only the OEM style cables charge the phone. Since I have Apple Care + I am okay with just a smaller case and no waterproof protection.

I'm sure you could get some good money for it on Ebay or on the forum.Better than the junk drawer.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I just got mine today in the mail and it is absolutely perfect. I do have to push a little harder on the screen but other than that i love it;No issues at all. :D Do any of you know if this dock extender will work with the case? http://www.ebay.com/itm/18070598552...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1880wt_905

Well I guess I take all that back ): within a few hours of having it, it started to deteriorate. I guess it did feel kind of cheap. The cover port already broke on me, and the sides have been chipped. I literally have done nothing today but go to walmart....I don't recommend this case ): what a rip off.

Last edited:

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
The case looks really nice, but for $80 I think i will pass. The problem with the built in screen protector is awful considering you are paying a hefty price for the case. I have had Defender on mine and have not had any screen issues,and you can also get it for ~$20.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
The case looks really nice, but for $80 I think i will pass. The problem with the built in screen protector is awful considering you are paying a hefty price for the case. I have had Defender on mine and have not had any screen issues,and you can also get it for ~$20.

I haven't had any issues. Yes, you have to press SLIGHTLY harder but it doesn't make that much of a difference. And its not bulky at all.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
So far very positive with the LifeProof. Minor annoyance with a slight bulge on the top of the case due to the seal around the noise canceling mic. The pillowing of the screen protector is indeed annoying at first, but it gets better with time and you also get used to it. Otherwise it's awesome protection and very minimal bulk for it. Very sturdy holster (separate purchase).

Airborne21

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
That is the reason for the pillow effect that won't completely go away, at the top end of the screen anyway. I have placed an invisishield Over the top of the lifeproof screen protector due to the lifeproof one scratching very easily. It works a treat and reduces glare. The main reason for using lifeproof is to keep out dust. I think I have OCD. Any dust on my phone and it drives me insane. No need to worry now.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
ugh, so many mixed reviews on this case!!

I was highly considering one but I can't justify spending $80 when there are such poor reviews of it out there.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
ugh, so many mixed reviews on this case!!

I was highly considering one but I can't justify spending $80 when there are such poor reviews of it out there.

Let me help you a little bit. Version 1 of the case, the integrated screen was not good. Took a long time before it settled down onto the phones actual screen. Therefore, it too more force to use the touch screen of the phone. After a while, it flattened itself onto the phone's screen, and worked great, though you would still have some bubbling/rainbow effect.

Version 2, I've had absolutely no issues with the integrated screen of this case. It lays flat on my phone's screen from the second I installed it on my phone. It's without a doubt the best iPhone case I've ever owned, period. I've had it for a couple of months, and it's perfect.

I loved Version 1, but sometimes it drove me crazy, screen-wise. Version 2, perfect case. My 11 year old nephew, who complains about everything, complained mightily about Version One's screen, said "When the hell is the screen gonna lay flat ?". I got him Version 2, he loves it, never one complaint about it.

I don't know if anyone here has had both versions like I've had, and can agree or disagree with me, but this is what I've found.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I wanted to love this case. I bought a v2 and the one and only issue I had was the screen shield, the pillow effect never went away and it drove me nuts, it felt like I was using some really old touch screen device and I got a lot of glare from it.
I use an Otterox Defender now, and while I wish it was as thin as the LifeProof, the Defenders screen shield is far superior IMO.
If LifeProof could somehow get their screen shield flat I'd definitely use their case over the Defender.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Let me help you a little bit. Version 1 of the case, the integrated screen was not good. Took a long time before it settled down onto the phones actual screen. Therefore, it too more force to use the touch screen of the phone. After a while, it flattened itself onto the phone's screen, and worked great, though you would still have some bubbling/rainbow effect.

Version 2, I've had absolutely no issues with the integrated screen of this case. It lays flat on my phone's screen from the second I installed it on my phone. It's without a doubt the best iPhone case I've ever owned, period. I've had it for a couple of months, and it's perfect.

I loved Version 1, but sometimes it drove me crazy, screen-wise. Version 2, perfect case. My 11 year old nephew, who complains about everything, complained mightily about Version One's screen, said "When the hell is the screen gonna lay flat ?". I got him Version 2, he loves it, never one complaint about it.

I don't know if anyone here has had both versions like I've had, and can agree or disagree with me, but this is what I've found.

Thanks for that post. Unfortunately it was followed up immediately by this one:

I wanted to love this case. I bought a v2 and the one and only issue I had was the screen shield, the pillow effect never went away and it drove me nuts, it felt like I was using some really old touch screen device and I got a lot of glare from it.
I use an Otterox Defender now, and while I wish it was as thin as the LifeProof, the Defenders screen shield is far superior IMO.
If LifeProof could somehow get their screen shield flat I'd definitely use their case over the Defender.

Maybe the one you got was a defective one? Have you contacted the manufacturer?

How is it that one person can have one that is perfect and the next one is far from it? QC issues?

wattsja

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I have had 3 of 4 FAIL the water test .. that is 75% failure and these were DIRECTLY from lifeproof. The case is crap, the company is crap, customer service people are [mostly] nice .. I did hit the jerk who knows everything .. except what I was talking about with my specific issue. After him telling me to "let him talk" .. I had to set him straight and yes, I was right he was wrong .. but you know, he works CS so he knows all .. <sigh>.

Bottom line .. FAIL

They still haven't made right the issue I was having. I gave up and put the case in the drawer as it wasn't worth the headache. I didn't care for the case enough to fight the battle. Lesson learned.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I have had 3 of 4 FAIL the water test .. that is 75% failure and these were DIRECTLY from lifeproof. The case is crap, the company is crap, customer service people are [mostly] nice .. I did hit the jerk who knows everything .. except what I was talking about with my specific issue. After him telling me to "let him talk" .. I had to set him straight and yes, I was right he was wrong .. but you know, he works CS so he knows all .. <sigh>.

Bottom line .. FAIL

They still haven't made right the issue I was having. I gave up and put the case in the drawer as it wasn't worth the headache. I didn't care for the case enough to fight the battle. Lesson learned.

hmm - user error?

I had one case that i got from best buy and it passed water test with flying colors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.