Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PacerguyDon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
@Devildog08,
The only issue I had was the bulge in the cover near the proximity sensor, as well as the oil can effect.
Other than that, it was fine. I just didn't like the non flat front on mine.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
After using the case everyday, I have decided to use the case only when going to the pool or beach, etc. To me, covering the iphone 5 display using case is a crime. Lol. If you just bought an iphone 5 and are worried about scratching it, just get Apple Care Plus.

Keep up the reviews.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I have recieived two replacement cases from Lifeproof. They seem to be getting a little better about responding to emails so thats a plus! My first case was in the 5xx,xxx number and worked fine for a while before it seemed to just lose sound altogether and the newest case was numbered in the 1xx,xxx and seems to be the 4th revision, with the clear plastic bumps glued on.

If the numbers on the back really don't mean anything as someone suggested previously and the cases with the raised molded parts on the back is the newest case, why is this company still mailing out old versions of this case?

I've moved on to the Seidio Obex and don't believe I'll be going back to a Lifeproof case for awhile if ever but I'll keep an eye and ear out to see if Lifeproof makes improvements

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I have recieived two replacement cases from Lifeproof. They seem to be getting a little better about responding to emails so thats a plus! My first case was in the 5xx,xxx number and worked fine for a while before it seemed to just lose sound altogether and the newest case was numbered in the 1xx,xxx and seems to be the 4th revision, with the clear plastic bumps glued on.

If the numbers on the back really don't mean anything as someone suggested previously and the cases with the raised molded parts on the back is the newest case, why is this company still mailing out old versions of this case?

I've moved on to the Seidio Obex and don't believe I'll be going back to a Lifeproof case for awhile if ever but I'll keep an eye and ear out to see if Lifeproof makes improvements

The LP cases with the glued on clear plastic pieces are just Besy Buy returns that LP is salvaging and sending out as replacements. They know sooner or later the consumer will just suck on it and keep their rigged up trash. Just what I think. :rolleyes:

The Obex I just removed from my phone and will wait for the Atlas and Armor. The Obex case also has real bad sound like the LP and overall is a POS.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
The Obex I just removed from my phone and will wait for the Atlas and Armor. The Obex case also has real bad sound like the LP and overall is a POS.

I personally like the Obex case.
I think all of these 4 proof cases are going to have muddled sound and none of them will be totally clear.
My Obex is better than any version of the Lifeproof I've had.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
I personally like the Obex case.
I think all of these 4 proof cases are going to have muddled sound and none of them will be totally clear.
My Obex is better than any version of the Lifeproof I've had.

Its not necessarily that the Obex has crappy sound. The sound level is to be expected to be a big muffled as thats just what you get with a completely enclosed case. But the rattling of the case that makes it sound like a blown car speaker I cannot stand, which is why I had to take it off my phone. Lifeproof had that problem for the longest time, and my current Lifeproof does not have ANY sound problem at all. If Seidio can fix this problem like Lifeproof did with the real bad rattling like a blown car speaker, I will be right back to get another Obex, because everything else about the case I think is fantastic. Just the one downfall has me running back to Lifeproof, but I listen to alot of music through the speakerphone, so kind of a big deal for me.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
I am a bit confused on what some of you are saying about the life proof case regarding sound. The call quality is what I consider as sound when it comes to describing a case. My Life Proof case has very good quality on both ends. With my phone naked, my sound quality is a 10, with the case on it drops to about a 9. That's pretty good. As others have said, don't expect perfection with an enclosed case.

----------

Besides me, who else has the case combo like me? My front case is the newest version and my back case is the 3rd version.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
I am a bit confused on what some of you are saying about the life proof case regarding sound. The call quality is what I consider as sound when it comes to describing a case. My Life Proof case has very good quality on both ends. With my phone naked, my sound quality is a 10, with the case on it drops to about a 9. That's pretty good. As others have said, don't expect perfection with an enclosed case.

----------

Besides me, who else has the case combo like me? My front case is the newest version and my back case is the 3rd version.

Fernie im really not sure what versions of the case I got but I do have a combo as well. I believe the front is 3rd gen, its got the foam at the bottom, and the foam at the top around the earpiece still, but it is perfect besides the oil slicks on the screen which there isnt really much of, and they dont bother me. And I believe the back of the case is the 5th, as its got the 3 raised up black pieces on the black, with the foam towards the top. The sound coming out of the speakerphone is fantastic with this backpiece. No rattling, which is what im most concerned about, as I use my phone quite a bit for playing music through the speakers.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Went ahead and ordered one of the new color cases, the cyan color. Since these are brand new colors, im hoping its the completely updated case. We shall see. If not, itll be going right back, LOL

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Went ahead and ordered one of the new color cases, the cyan color. Since these are brand new colors, im hoping its the completely updated case. We shall see. If not, itll be going right back, LOL

Cool, please update us with pictures......how long until you receive it?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Not sure, I would say this coming week for sure, but we will see. And will definitely update with some pics when I get it and let you guys know how they are before you go out getting one.

What kind of shipping did you get? There high dollar 2nd day air or the free mail innovations?

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Not sure, I would say this coming week for sure, but we will see. And will definitely update with some pics when I get it and let you guys know how they are before you go out getting one.
Should be interesting for the two of us to compare. I just ordered a black one and am expecting it to arrive any day now.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Man, I hope the new color versions don't have those glued on clear pieces. :(

I honestly dont think that they will, as I believe the only reason they were doing that is because they were taking the returned cases, and making them work. I think the real backpiece they will use is the one I have and the Version 5 backpiece with the 3 pieces just raised up. Its fantastic. I will definitely post pictures and show you all when I receive my blue and my girls magenta.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
It's strange because the Lifeproof cases in the 500,000 range had the 3 higher raised black ridges molded into the actual plastic of the back. The ones over 600,000 are back to the clear glued on plastic pieces.

I think it's a crap shoot as to what the color versions will have. :)
I can't wait to find out.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Well I'm the one who ordered online a few days ago and my case arrived today.

Overall...very disappointed. Before I explain, here are some pics.

photo%20%281%29.JPG

photo%20%282%29.JPG

photo.JPG

-The sound sucks as everyone said. I can live with this because I listen mostly through headphones anyway.

-The little plastic piece covering the proximity sensor is incredibly annoying. That prevents the front from laying flat. This results in an uneven touch experience overall. Frankly, that's a deal breaker for me. The responsiveness of the screen takes a noticeable hit.

-I do have the Newton rings, but they're very very small. You honestly can't even notice unless the light hits it just right.

I'm going to use it for a few days to see if I'm sure, but as of now, the case is likely going back to Lifeproof for a refund. I wanted to love this one!

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
I got a white 131,XXX model today from a local Best Buy. It was the highest number they had and I figured I'd try it out. My proximity sensor doesn't function at all and they're sending me a replacement front piece, as I called the company earlier about it. Slight oil slick but the new front should fix that also. No other issues to report!

Edit Feb 3 - I hadn't made a phone call before posting...Microphone quality is completely unusable. Thankfully the microphone piece is part of the front half so it will be replaced when my new one comes in!

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

-The sound sucks as everyone said. I can live with this because I listen mostly through headphones anyway.

-The little plastic piece covering the proximity sensor is incredibly annoying. That prevents the front from laying flat. This results in an uneven touch experience overall. Frankly, that's a deal breaker for me. The responsiveness of the screen takes a noticeable hit.

-I do have the Newton rings, but they're very very small. You honestly can't even notice unless the light hits it just right.

I'm going to use it for a few days to see if I'm sure, but as of now, the case is likely going back to Lifeproof for a refund. I wanted to love this one!

That case has the latest back with the three black ribs. Most of the cases in Best Buy's now are in the 600,000 range and have those crappy clear blocks glued on.

Can't wait to see what the color version are like. :)

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
That case has the latest back with the three black ribs. Most of the cases in Best Buy's now are in the 600,000 range and have those crappy clear blocks glued on.

Can't wait to see what the color version are like. :)
So I actually got one of the good ones?

What is the deal with the plastic piece over the proximity sensor? Is that the same in all versions? You can see it in my first pic. There's literally no way to have a flat screen with that in there. In fact, I almost peeled it off thinking it wasn't actually part of the case.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012

Hold on, I think my sound on my case is very good. Not everyone is complaining about sound the same way. Be more specific, is it call quality or speakerphone that suck for you?

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Hold on, I think my sound on my case is very good. Not everyone is complaining about sound the same way. Be more specific, is it call quality or speakerphone that suck for you?
Haven't tested a call yet.

I was referring to the sound when playing music through the speakers.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Can someone explain to me what exactly is the proximity sensor/peel off on the case? I purchase a lifeproof case at bestbuy yesterday (599,xxx) and the new holster for it..I actually removed the clear plastic screen protector which was glued on and took off that little white plain sticker....Everything seems to be working fine...

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Can someone explain to me what exactly is the proximity sensor/peel off on the case? I purchase a lifeproof case at bestbuy yesterday (599,xxx) and the new holster for it..I actually removed the clear plastic screen protector which was glued on and took off that little white plain sticker....Everything seems to be working fine...

How does that holster work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.