Lifeproof Iphone 5 case update

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ROLLTIDE1, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Ships this month !

2. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Just got the email too...gotta admit I was excited thinking that it was ready for purchase as soon as I saw the email...but any update will suffice.

3. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'd still be skeptical if I go swimming with my phone in my pocket, and if it somehow leaks and ruins the phone.. do they have some warranty on the phone if their case fails?

Seems like a big risk and I can't figure how you can actually talk to people while the phone is physically in a plastic case, right? I've never owned a lifeproof case but I have only read from threads or much real legitimate reviews besides people just saying they like them or proving that people go scuba with them, etc.

4. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

It's at your own risk. When you get the case, there is a set of instructions on testing the case to make sure it is water tight, before putting it on your phone.

I had the iPhone 4 case and my wife had one fore her 4S. We never had issues with it and we took our phones to many beaches, rivers and pools.

My friend has one for his work and he literally hoses his phone off when he is done working to clean it!

I used the iPhone 4 case when I played paintball last summer and I took many dives with the phone in my pocket and the case took shots from paintballs with no damage to my phone. I also take my phone rock climbing and mountain biking with this case and my phone still looks brand new!

I'll be using the new case for my iPhone 5. LifeProof Cases Rock!!! :cool:

5. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

I got the email also. I bet this case is at least $99.99
    How does Lifeproof ship their cases? Fed EX - UPS?

6. CanadaEh macrumors regular

7. daihan123 macrumors newbie

Got email too. Very excited. Been using cheap case waiting for this one. Was disappointed when rumors were for a December release of case. Glad to hear it will be sooner.

8. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

I'm really interested in the lifeproof. I work at the ports and we work in the elements. Waterproof would be great, I'm just wondering how the screen protector is. Does it really affect the sensitivity of the touch screen? I know there is a little gap. I had the Otterbox defender, and just couldn't put up with it anymore due to the screen protector.

Hopefully the new version of Lifeproof improves on this, but if not, do any of you previous owners have a problem with the screen? Or better yet, what 'cons' if any do you have?

Thanks a lot!

9. RowdyYates macrumors member

RowdyYates

The free shipping offer is shipped by USPS or UPS ground. Expedited shipping by UPS.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'll wait till AT&T gets them cause I get 50% accessory discount :)

11. Xanderprime macrumors member

I did like my 4s case from Lifeproof which I used for most of the year. It really was waterproof, dust proof, and shock proof. I've used it in waterparks and kept it in my pocket underwater (a bit unnerving though). I've dropped it a few times with no issues. Form factor was excellent for the protection it provides. Thanks to this case I was able to sell my iPhone 4s for a good price since the phone was pristine. There are some issues, some which are brought up countless times in other threads:

1) The screen shield did have a gap, just like the defender, so typing was a bit odd as you'll hear taps as you hit the screen. The gap (unlike the defender) was not uniform across the entire screen though. The gap was higher at the top due to a thick plastic piece surrounding the earpiece. Over time, the screen developed the rainbow rings that people sometimes see on the defender (probably because the screen was sagging and touching the iphone screen). The screen is not as "tight" as the defenders screen. Eventually when dragging my finger up and down (to scroll) it occasionally would not register correctly and sometimes would scroll the opposite way. I'm sure that is because of the uneven screen and sagging issue.

Also, the screen actually chipped. For whatever reason, I small chip developed on the screen. I had to buy another front half.

2) The port cover split in half. There seems to be a weak point on the cover where the notch is that over time the cover will split across the notch. I've read others with the same issue. Needless to say, this compromised the waterproofness of the case.

3) The screw in plug for the headphone port was annoying. I understand why it had to be there, but I did use the port every so often in the car. Screwing the plug off, then screw on the adapter, then screwing the adapter off when done, then screwing the plug back on got really annoying over time. Fortunately most of the time I used bluetooth headphones to listen to music, but in the car i did not have that option.

Although I liked the case, I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger for the iPhone 5. If they fixed some of the issues I mentioned above...maybe. I know the plug probably will be the same. I bet due to the smaller port cover that might help with the splitting issue. The screen will be the big variable.

12. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

lol, if you thought the defender's built-in screen protector was bad, you will absolutely hate the lifeproof case. Picture using your iphone screen through that kind of plastic that you would get a stapler in; that hard clam-shell plastic that you almost cut yourself trying to open. You'll have to push the plastic down to even make contact with the screen.

If you absolutely need your phone to be waterproof regardless of how difficult it makes the phone to use, I'd still suggest other options over a lifeproof case.

13. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

This is correct.

Lifeproof is a case that you ONLY want to get if you are going to be in situations where waterproofing is a necessity. For any other uses, it's simply too difficult to use if waterproof is not a definite need.

I applaud Lifeproof for creating a case that can serve someone with intense needs like this, but to consider using a Lifeproof case as an everyday case is really not even realistic.

It is full armor and if you don't need full armor, look elsewhere.

14. Steel28 macrumors member

I do a lot of fishing so it might be on my list of "must buy".

15. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

16. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

17. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

They did last time with the iPhone 4 case when that one came out. Took forever to get them going. A lot of people were calling it Vaporware even. But that was when they were just starting up as a company too. I expect that this roll out will be much better.

As to this case, I really do highly recommend it at least for the iPhone 4/4S. I put it on my wife's iPhone 4 and after almost two years of abuse/drops/submersions, when I took it out of the case its final time to sell it, it literally looked brand new and still worked flawlessly. Super well made product that lives up to what it says it can do.

18. hansokl macrumors regular

While I like the waterproof feature.. The main reason I'm thinking about the life proof is because it doesn't seem as bulky. My wife got the defender for her 5 and it's just too bulky for me.. Can anyone that had life proof on 4/4s comment on the weight/ bulk of the case compared to defender..

TIA

19. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I really wish they'd say how much the case is :(

20. mobiletech macrumors member

Life proof case is great, once you get used to the screen. Which isn't that bad... However, the case does make you develop bad habits that will ruin your phone out of the case.

21. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

My wife has the Lifeproof on her 4s and it's a great case. I have the Commuter on my 5 and will replace it with the Lifeproof when it comes out.

22. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Way smaller the the Defender and also lighter. It feels really nice it your hand.

23. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

24. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

I play paintball too and hate to leave my phone in my bag. Was def thinking of using my iPhone 5 w/lifeproof case and putting it in my pocket while on the speedball field. Good to hear that its already been proven.