Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
AFAIK nothing has changed. These cases are not designed for frequent removal/installation. To be clear they can handle quite a few changes, but if you're doing this regularly and frequently you likely will have troubles eventually.

Looking to pick up a Lifeproof case for an upcoming vacation. I recall in the past (and why I did not buy one) was that you could only remove the phone X amount of times before the lifeproof case is useless.

Is that still the case with the iphone 6 version? I want to use the lifeproof during the day to take photos in the water and such, and remove it at night so my phone will slip into my pocket easier.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
AFAIK nothing has changed. These cases are not designed for frequent removal/installation. To be clear they can handle quite a few changes, but if you're doing this regularly and frequently you likely will have troubles eventually.

I only plan to use it on vacations/summer time, so figure about 20-30 days per year taking in and out of the case.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I only plan to use it on vacations/summer time, so figure about 20-30 days per year taking in and out of the case.

Originally with the iPhone 4 case lifeproof said that they would only support a limited number of openings (I think it was on the order of 50, but I could be remembering wrong). With the newer cases there is no longer a limit, but they do recommend water testing before you re-insert your phone each time.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Originally with the iPhone 4 case lifeproof said that they would only support a limited number of openings (I think it was on the order of 50, but I could be remembering wrong). With the newer cases there is no longer a limit, but they do recommend water testing before you re-insert your phone each time.

Great info, thanks! Even if it was 50 i would be OK with that :)

Placing my order soon!

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
i have used mine for 5 & 5s for over a year...only used it on weekends and vacations in mex in water, colorado skiing and used it over the weekends at home in pool and hiking etc.. in that year i probably took it off and put it back on more than 100 times. Rest of the week i used a thin case for daily use.

But like the other user recommended, i always check for the rubber seals, any dust between them and ear piece plug etc to make sure everything is clean and secure.. usually i would just fill up a sink with water while getting ready and throw the case int here to make sure it was still good before actually using it.

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Anyone that has already purchased the Fre for the 6... Did any of you have a glass screen protector on your phone and still get it to fit inside the Fre?

I've seen a few people successfully fit glass on a 5S inside of a Lifeproof case, but only a failed attempt on a 5c where the power button was being pressed by the extra pressure on the case.

I've been waiting patiently for the Nuud for my wife's 6+ but might pick up a fre or a nuud for myself if I can get my glass to fit.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Anyone that has already purchased the Fre for the 6... Did any of you have a glass screen protector on your phone and still get it to fit inside the Fre?

I've seen a few people successfully fit glass on a 5S inside of a Lifeproof case, but only a failed attempt on a 5c where the power button was being pressed by the extra pressure on the case.

I've been waiting patiently for the Nuud for my wife's 6+ but might pick up a fre or a nuud for myself if I can get my glass to fit.

I tried with Zagg and it just... Didn't close enough/right for me to feel comfortable. It MIGHT be doable but I wasn't willing to risk integrity. As far as a screenless water proof case I really want to try the Dog and Bone wetsuit.

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
Somewhat of a good sign. Lifeproof now has a picture of the NUUD case for the iPhone 6 plus on their website. Hopefully they will be releasing it soon.

radtechy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014

Why would wanna do this?

Wouldn't it be too many layers to work with the screen?

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Why would wanna do this?

I don't want to. Let's just say my wife is a professional at destroying her phones and other technological devices so it is nice to have as much protection as possible.

I would consider having a Fre or Nuud to use on my phone, just for adventures (snowboarding, etc) but as I have a glass screen protector on my phone already I don't want to have to worry about removing it just to put on a waterproof case. Yes, it could adversely affect the touch screen sensitivity but it would just be for small amounts of time, not my normal setup.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I have been a LP user since they first released the iphone 4 case. I hated the dots they put on the 5 case, so I got a Nuud when they were available. Believe me I have been through many growing pains with LP. Just got a Red Pepper case. It's not a LP clone/rip off. Screen cover is clear! Everything works so far but I haven't made any calls yet. Ill post back when I do. The Nuud is ugly.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
So it sounds there is some discoloration from the screen protector but call quality is pretty good huh? The call clarity is important because the Otterbox waterproof case destroys the earpiece volume when put on a 5S

long86

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I also had issues with the Newton rings on my screen. I live in Houston so the humidity is always high which adds to the rainbow screen problem. I tried the baby powder, it did not help and further obscured the screen with powder. I ended buying the power support anti glare screen protector from the Apple Store. This completely solved my problem, no more Newton rings.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
LifeProof Needs To Hurry The ******* Up!

Received a white fre directly from life proof today for my wife's 6 and I am very impressed with it. The screen lays nicely on the phone and I did not notice any Newton rings.

I didn't make any calls so I can't comment on that yet but it is the same solid build that I have come to expect from LP just thinner. I would like to see a holster out soon so I can pick one up for myself as well. I would always go with this over the otterbox.

(As a side note, it is also nice that the headphone jack cover doesn't actually enter the jack now like on the older models. It makes taking the case on and off a little less painful.)

badger91

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I think that I'm just going to skip on Lifeproof this round. I called today and they said the 6 Plus version won't be out for a few more months. I'm rather disappointed but I'm getting antsy since I've already waited for three months.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Found a website (don't have the link) that shows an anticipated release date of 1/15 - 1/16 for the LifeProof Nüüd. Hopefully by the they also release the holster!

If it's not out by then I'll be getting the Dog and Bone case.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I think that I'm just going to skip on Lifeproof this round. I called today and they said the 6 Plus version won't be out for a few more months. I'm rather disappointed but I'm getting antsy since I've already waited for three months.

Safe business idea...more 6's out there than 6+. Make sure the 6 turns out before dumping money in the + design.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
completely true. A shame though. Shouldnt be this hard to make them...

They're probably dealing with the non-standardized glass faces...I have one of them. They could cause a break in the seal for the Nuud because of the early curve.

My screen protector is not compatible with any glass protector...drives me crazy.

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
They're probably dealing with the non-standardized glass faces...I have one of them. They could cause a break in the seal for the Nuud because of the early curve.

My screen protector is not compatible with any glass protector...drives me crazy.

I dont understand you latter statement. Your screen protector is not compatible with any glass screen protector? What are you talking about?

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

I tried with Zagg and it just... Didn't close enough/right for me to feel comfortable. It MIGHT be doable but I wasn't willing to risk integrity. As far as a screenless water proof case I really want to try the Dog and Bone wetsuit.

Why would wanna do this?

I would consider having a Fre or Nuud to use on my phone, just for adventures (snowboarding, etc) but as I have a glass screen protector on my phone already I don't want to have to worry about removing it just to put on a waterproof case. Yes, it could adversely affect the touch screen sensitivity but it would just be for small amounts of time, not my normal setup.

I am looking for answer to this, too. I have a Tech Armor Glass screen protector with a Totallee case. The glass protector is very thin, like 0.4 mm, so I am hoping it won't affect the Lifeproof case. I ONLY need waterproof/dustproof case when I go skiing 5-6 times a year.

The LifeProof case is too bulky for use all the time. I.e. won't fit in my car dock, etc.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
So what is the general consensus here regarding this case for the 6? I'm reading a lot of real mixed reviews online but would really like to pick one up.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
How is the sound quality when you are in a call? Does the Touch ID work well?

I'm holding out until I hear some good reviews and they have better colors out.

Did you find any noteworthy reviews addressing your thoughts? I have similar concerns after the Otterbox Preserver for 5S destroyed call quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.