Light leak and LCD high pitch noise

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by firestarter03, Dec 1, 2009.

1. firestarter03 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just noticed recently that my iPhone 3G was making a high pitched buzzing noise. It doesn't do it all the time, changing the screen brightness lower is when it happens. It is a very annoying noise - but it is the kind of noise only some people can hear. I am reluctant to take it back to Apple as this is the 3rd one they have replaced and I am worried about getting another with more problems.

The first one had signal issues and was dropping calls, the 2nd had a screen problem where it would flicker with lines then go completely white and had light leak, the 3rd didn't even make it out of the car park as there was a huge gap between the screen and surround (with light leak).

The 'genius' did say that they would escalate it if I had to bring it back again but I was given the one I have now. It also has some light leak but I was willing to live with it if the phone functioned fine... I am just worried about getting one with worse defects or one with a rubbish screen. Should I bother taking it back again?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If it has a high pitch noise, go to AppleCare, show them or let them hear it. That warrants for a new iPhone.

AppleCare resolves these issues much faster and with much dedication than Geniuses. Geniuses tend to repair rather than replace.

3. firestarter03 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will have to go to the apple store, I don't think I can take it to AppleCare directly (I don't have AppleCare but it is still under warranty). I will just have to insist that they escalate it like they said last time and don't give me another refurb. The noise is really annoying! I didn't have any problems with my 1st gen :(

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AppleCare = Apple Store in terms of warranty and replacement. It is just AppleCare does more for you than your average Apple Store. They will replace it. Now, if you want it to escalate and get a new one, then Apple Store only, unless you can convince the higher AppleCare rep to give you a new one. It can be done.