Light Leakage Caused Apple to Shift iPad 2 Display Orders to Samsung

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vinacrom, May 6, 2011.

1. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

i think this is very old news

well not very, but old.

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

My ipad gets shipped in a week, will I get the samsung display?

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yes, definitely.

4. Jmouse macrumors 6502

5. syclick macrumors regular

Source?

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I guess question is, when could you order online an iPad from apple and be sure you are going to get one of the new corrected items?

How much longer should we wait before placing an order. I believe online orders get shipped direct from china. But is there more than one factory.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The internet.

8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Damn I hope you're right

9. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Im gonna wait a bit longer till I exchange mine.

10. Jmouse macrumors 6502

11. Built macrumors 68020

Purchased a 64GB ATT Black yesterday. Got it home...light leakage along the left hand-side.

Immediately made an appointment at the Genius Bar. The Genius immediately saw the problem, got a service unit out...and voila...Perfect...:) There are good screens out there in the pipeline now...

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If you walk into any store, is there any way to tell, from the box that you are getting one of the latest models with the new screens that have been fixed.
    It's not really practical for many to open in store and hunt around to fit a dark hole somewhere to check it out before going back home?
    I know from my iPad box there are a lot of numbers and codes on the side of the box. Is there anything we can look out for to tell us we are getting the latest model and not one of the earlier faulty ones that may still be in the supply chain?

13. Built macrumors 68020

Someone suggested in the Backlight Bleed thread that units with an X in the third position of the serial number SEEM to be better. I cannot say whether this is true or not, but I will say that my replacement unit has an X in that position and has a good screen with no issues.

14. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

You will get one with light bleed.

15. Built macrumors 68020

How do you know that?

16. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

That's not necessarily true. My iPad 2 has an X in the third position and I have light bleed in the lower right hand corner. While it's not as bad as others have had, it's still there. I'll be going to my local Apple store in an hour to see what they have.

17. Built macrumors 68020

I put my iPad 2 next to my iPad 1...and when looking at a black screen...I have to say that my replacement iPad 2 looks better, and more even, than my iPad 1, and I THOUGHT my iPad 1 was perfect. Obviously, it is hit or miss.

I purchased a couple Sony Digital Picture Frames last year and two of them had light bleed. I brought them back to Best Buy and replaced them with two perfect units. I didn't accept a bad screen on a relatively inexpensive item and I certainly wouldn't on an iPad.