Lightbleed. So annoyed

Infiniteconstancy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Just got my SS 44mm Gold watch. Pretty miffed I’m going to have to send it in to get replaced or repaired. Am I losing my mind here? This seems pretty bad.
99755D16-A52E-4F46-A1DC-8333AA0B2A4D.jpeg
17E6A812-D182-4E3B-90A3-3C1E7D278595.jpeg
4D46085B-D4A3-4F4E-9F9D-2CF52F50D529.jpeg

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That seems amazingly unlikely. It's like the OLED pixels are not actually switched off (as they should be on a black background).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
ea as others stated there is no such thing as light bleed with an OLED. That is probably in the graphics processor.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Looks like the glue didn't adhere, or something of that effect to me. The look is eerily similar to backlight bleed, but of course isn't.

Looks to be as bad as they come, imo, but as others have said, maybe wait 2-3 weeks for stock to ramp up then ask for a replacement.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Looks like the glue didn't adhere, or something of that effect to me. The look is eerily similar to backlight bleed, but of course isn't.

Looks to be as bad as they come, imo, but as others have said, maybe wait 2-3 weeks for stock to ramp up then ask for a replacement.
No ask for a replacement ASAP. The longer you wait you may get charged for whatever reason or have to wait longer until supply levels out. Best to get a replacement order while in the return window to avoid any chance of being charged.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
This is also using a gray wallpaper. Not black
Then do you know for fact it is 100% uniform gray? Take a screen shot (or post original Wallpaper) and then post the picture from Photos. This will prove if it is a defective display or if you are mistaken.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
This was posted on reddit. You have to use the all gray image as OLED shuts off if you use black. This is an issue for some people. Check your watches and send them back. It should look uniform using the gray image sample.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This seems quite common .... use something like the kaleidoscope face and then when the watch face is off, turn the crown to the first few brightness settings to see the issue. Or switch your home screen to list view and check out the grey buttons. Mine does it, but in normal use I don't see it so not fussed.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

richard371

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2008
Try these steps to check for uniformity:
1 place the attached picture in your photos so you can view on your watch
2 Place the watch in theater mode
3 open photos app on the watch and make the grey pic full screen.
4 go into a completely or very dark room (this is a must) and turn the crown one notch until you can barely see the grey image
5 check for uniformity. Mine is a little brighter on the left side. I'm not going to worry about it as I don't use the watch in this way but it is there.

Attachments

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
4 go into a completely or very dark room (this is a must) and turn the crown one notch until you can barely see the grey image
5 check for uniformity. Mine is a little brighter on the left side. I'm not going to worry about it as I don't use the watch in this way but it is there.
Mines brighter on the right but is quite patchy up until almost full brightness

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
In a completely pitch-black room, mine is slightly brighter on the right until about 50%. In a very dim room it looks uniform. I never use theater mode, so I don't think this will really affect me.

richard371

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2008
If you have the issue in normal use and it bugs you then get it replaced. It sounds pretty common so you might have to do a lot of cherry picking and with Apples low stock good luck.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

applepizzaz4u

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
5423852B-5DC7-4F89-B779-6DAE57C469A5.jpeg
Here’s a pic showing some “bleeding” from the left edge. I know with oled there shouldn’t be any of that but there is definitely some kind of screen distortion. The night view from the Paris and New York timelapse watch face show it more. I opened up a case with Apple and they’re sending me a replacement unit

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If you have the issue in normal use and it bugs you then get it replaced. It sounds pretty common so you might have to do a lot of cherry picking and with Apples low stock good luck.
Personally, I don’t think that would be worth even trying to play the ‘lottery pick’ with choosing the Apple Watch and then having to make all these adjustments just for the sake of seeing if there is any type of uniformity with the dispay. Most consumers, won’t even realize if their display would have these effects or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.