Lightening cable options...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Redsfan, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

Wife and daughter each have gone through their OEM Lightening Cables and have ripped apart the cable at the ends and want them replaced. In no fashion do I want to buy 100% authentic replacements and spend that money, so looking into ideas on ebay, etc. Anybody have a suggestion to get descent ones?

2. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Not sure where you're from but I got a Lightning cable from a pound shop in the UK which is working fine with no compatibility issues. Not sure how well it'll hold up in the long run but no problems in the couple of months I've had it.

3. drea97 macrumors member

Get an Apple Lightening Adapter from Walmart or Best Buy. I bought me Apple Lightning Adapter last weekend. If you have old nano or ipad cable cord hook that with apple lightning adapter.

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ning&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=3944

4. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks that is an option but they aren't cheap. We have quite a few old cables

----------

in Canada, so may be worth an ebay purchase

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I have purchased several lightning cables from All 4 Cellular. They are authentic Apple cables and are on special only for today for $8.88 each.

http://www.a4c.com/dailydeal/

6. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tip....went to do some checkup on their service and pretty horrible c/s it looks like. You seem to have no problems, but not having heard of these guys I hesitate..

7. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have these and they have a lifetime warranty:
    Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightni... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ0J74W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_i575sb1WD1B2
    Certified by Apple - Lifetime Warranty - Bundle of 2 Extra Long 6.5... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNVEY0W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_-575sb1210PWS
    Highly recommend them! Also the friendly swede ones can come in girl colors well but is not in stock.

----------

Also you can get a free replacement from apple. If they ask just say you bought the cable less than a year ago.

9. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the links. My wife/kids do not take care of these so I don't want to spend anything lol. Tech Armor looks kind of neat though and not overly pricey. Apple told my wife to go pound sand and claims it is from usage...

----------

hate their delivery times but might be worth a shot. Took over a month to get an HDMI from mono

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Cheapest ones I can find:
    GreatShield Apple Licensed 3ft Lightning Charge & Sync Cable for Ap... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4YLC2U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_0f85sb1WBNXJ9

Also monoprice lightning cables are sold on amazon:
    Monoprice 110375 3-Feet MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge/Sync Cable for iPad/iPhone and iPod (White) by Monoprice http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIYJV1A/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_gh85sb0FERTN0

11. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

The Amazon Basics cable is great - way more durable than the one Apple provides. It's only $13 AND Apple certified.

Only downside is the lightning end is on the large side, if you use a case that doesn't have a very large opening it may not fit.

If you go too cheap you're going to get burned (maybe literally). This is a great cable at a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...id=1390926101&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+cable

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Cheap cables = crap. Get a Tech Armor cable. Lifetime warranty.

13. DonnyXMX macrumors member

DonnyXMX

Tech Armor is the way to go. I got the 6ft black and it works like a charm.

14. allistera macrumors regular

I went through 5 cheap ass lightening cables from ebay/amazon. 3 of them broke after a month and 2 wouldn't work with iOS 7. I finally gave in and got a AmazonBasics one for just over £10/$16 and its worked fine for 3 months now.

If you want a decent cable your going to have to pay for it.

15. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I hear you on this. I wen through I think 10 knockoff eBay Lightning cables in a period of four months before I bough the genuine kind. I never had a compatibility issue. The problem I had was the connections separating straight from the cable. Found a good deal on the genuine cables and am much happier, OP if you look on eBay you can find genuine cables with the wall cube for around twelve dollars.

16. sisspc macrumors newbie

I have no firsthand experience with these, but 4 cables for $6.99 (and free shipping) is worth a try imo.

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't think it is because the cables are not going to be apple certified at that price

18. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

19. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

keep in mind I am trying to save a few bucks as my kids/wife don't take care of these things...what if we go the route of buying 30 pin to 8 pin adapters on ebay? You can pick up a pair for like $8, so in theory they should be fine to charge a phone/ipad using the old 30 pin cables? Or would speed be affected using 30 pin?

20. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Speed would not be effected.

Make sure they are MFi certified.

21. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

the one I am looking at is clearly third party and says it may show not certified when plugged in, but guaranteed to work...where does it show if it's certified?

22. ron7624, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Above all, be sure they are MFI certified. You will pay 12 usd for any that are truly licensed. I like the CE Compass cables. Do a google search or buy them from eBay. They come in 5 colors and are 5 foot in length. I also have a couple of monoprice that work well too.

23. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Then its not certified. It may not charge, gamble with waste of money.

24. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

you are likely right....may have to bite the bullet or just fork over the cash for an apple one!