Lighter, Cheaper, Longer-Lasting & Liquidmetal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeemeerman2, Feb 21, 2011.

1. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

2. ozred, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

ozred macrumors 6502

Theoretically it sounds great.

Realistically it's a first generation product which is to be avoided since Apple seems to ship it no matter what the bugs are.

The modular bay is a copy cat move they've stolen. ThinkPads invented that and put it into production many years ago. There's is also more versatile. It will take a second hard drive or ssd, a battery or optical drive, or anyone of host of different devices they offer. Why it takes Apple so many years to catch up I'll never figure out.

Waiting for the second gen pays of handsomely. At least that's been my personal experience many times. I've been an Apple customer for years, buying many top of the line laptops from them.

I believe that if true, the new MBP their describing has so many new features it will really be a pain to sort out. You will likely have lots of downtime.

I chose to buy a 15" 2010 MBP just for this reason and I am 100% satisfied, totally debugged compared to earlier models, I can use it and enjoy it no problem.

Then I will wait till the newly redesigned models are sorted out. I don't need the headaches.

Carefully timing your purchase is everything.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I totally agree ozred.
    Let the early adopters work out the problems.
    There is a lot to be said for time-served components which have spent some time in the real world being used and abused by real people.
    Very happy with my mid 2010 MBP so I can sit back and watch while people work out the inevitable issues with the new models.

Oh and cheaper just ain`t in Apples vocabulary so I wouldn`t get your hopes up there.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

First off, this rumor comes from a pretty shady source. I wouldn't take it to mean very much, especially considering they already seem to have one rumor wrong (the one about pricing).

Second, the people who say don't buy 1st gen (which btw this would be 5th gen MacBook Pro not 1st) don't seem to realize that it really isn't true anymore. Sure there are bound to be *some* issues that people run into, but the fact is that it's usually pretty rare and always overblown by a few on the internet. This is true of any generation of any Apple product, so it's really stupid to say "don't buy 1st gen because of bugs."

All the new MacBook Air owners I know are really happy and have had no issues with theirs. Of course there are people out there who do have issues, but as I said, it's rare and happens no matter how "new" or "old" a product is.

So yeah, anyone saying "don't buy 1st gen" is really full of it.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Yeah, that really put me in my place :rolleyes:
    Last time I checked, we were all entitled to an opinion, I happen to strongly disagree with yours.

6. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

And apple did the modular optical bay thing years ago too, see Pismo, Wallstreet, Lombard, etc Powerbooks. It would be good to see them go that way, but I very much doubt it. It seems less and less that they want you to actually mess with your computer any more. Just buy it, use it for a while, then buy a new one.

7. ozred macrumors 6502

Very true, as much of an Apple enthusiast as I am, I hate to witness this trend of turning the products into disposable appliances. This from a company that claims to be green.

8. ElCidRo macrumors regular

You're just bitter your expensive macbook will feel obsolete in a few days :rolleyes:

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Apple used modular bays from 1998-2000 with the Powerbook G3's Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo. Not sure if Thinkpads did it before them, but it will not be the first time for Apple.

As for avoiding a first revision, it really depends how much changes there are. I tend to get Rev. B onwards myself but I would buy a Rev. A if the initial reviews are OK.

10. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

they got the pricing wrong , don't get your hopes up especially for the liquidmetals

11. molala macrumors 6502a

oops, beat me to it.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

13. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Exactly lol.

Thats where the aggressive stance is coming from.

With Apple, skipping a 1st gen is ridiculous. It pretty much means you are worrying for nothing and the consequence is living with an outdated product.

14. foe84 macrumors newbie

So someone looking for a laptop, do you take a chance with bugs and buy newer model or do you buy current model that has bugs tweaed out and may be just slightly less powerful?

15. Gomff macrumors 6502a

You buy it when you need it, or really want it and can afford to purchase.

If you can be a bit patient, you wait for the newest model to come out and then you get to bask in the glow of the having the latest, greatest for a little while longer.

If you're super patient, you wait for others to buy the newest model and scan forums like these for potential hiccups or glitches. When you're satisfied, you jump in.:D

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Or buy used/open box after the initial glow has worn off. :D

17. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

the "modular bay" is a dead giveaway that this rumor is false.

The macbook doesn't even have space for removable battery.

18. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

I had modular bay (hot swappable) on my 3400c Powerbook in 1997....

19. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Agreed. I can't think of a single apple product that is modular. LOL

20. jdaniel macrumors 65816

more removable parts, more wear and tear more stuff to fail.. it is not really neccessary. Had fujitsu with hot swap in 2002.. but I dont see the point.. with the current size of HDDs and SD cards and what not.