Lightning cables in Metro Detroit area?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kmichalec, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

To all the Detroit folks:

Anyone been able to find any lightning cables locally in the Detroit area? I've called all three local Apple stores plus a number of Best Buys, AT&T and Verizon stores in the area. No luck.

Just wondering if anyone has been successful in finding them locally? Not looking for the Lightning to 30 pin adapter, just the standard USB to Lightning cable. I need one urgently, as the one that came with my iPhone 5 fell out of my jacket pocket while running errands yesterday, as I only had the one that came with the phone and I've been having to carry it around everyone (normally prefer to have one for work, one for home, and one for the car, like I had with my old 30 pin cable). Anyways, now I have no way to charge my Iphone 5, as I can't find a spare anywhere locally.

Has anyone been able to find one around here? Any help would be appreciated.

2. drbob20 macrumors member

Was @ 12 oaks, they had a wall full
    Was also @ Somerset, they also had a wall full.

Picked one up for $19 + tax.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Partridge Creek probably has some as well, though I haven't been there yet to see for myself. But traditionally I've found they keep a good supply of things on hand.

4. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Somerset? I was just there on Saturday (hadn't lost mine yet, but just stopped in since I was at the mall to see if they had any as I could use an extra) and they said they were sold out, and have been so for days, and I didn't think they get shipments on Sunday. When did you go? Today?

5. Christian6809 macrumors newbie

Went to partridge creek store about 1 week ago, they had 10 in stock, i bought one

6. DetTigers macrumors regular

7. jaziCo macrumors regular

jaziCo

I was at Somerset on Saturday - OUT

I was at Twelve Oaks on Sunday -OUT

At this point do what I did, just order online

8. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Verizon store at gratiot and 12 mile in Roseville has a bunch. I was there a couple hours ago.

9. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Verizon store in Roseville has them. I was there a few hours ago. Gratiot and 12 mile

10. drbob20 macrumors member

Was at 12 Oaks during the early afternoon and the wall I'm referring to had no less than 75-100 cables. Was @ Somerset after 7:00 and they didn't have quite as many but still a good supply

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I picked up 2 at Partridge Creek last ... Wednesday? They had more than I could count.

12. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Somerset yesterday around 3:00pm, and they said they were previously out, but they had just got a shipment in at 2pm and now they had some, but they would probably be gone in a couple hours at most. Called again on my way home from work, hoping to swing by and pick one up, and no luck. All gone.

I'll try calling again today, to see if they got another shipment in around 2pm again. Been living off of 20-40% battery, trying to use the phone as little as possible, and borrowing a buddy's cable at work for a hour or two each day until I find one...

I'll also keep calling around to other local stores. I could do 12 oaks, but not until Wed evening on (have prior commitments after work yesterday/today). Has anyone seen any in the last day or so around the Troy/Rochester/Sterling Heights area (where I live) or around the Dearborn area (where I work)? I could definitely hit a store in those areas pretty easily.

I also put in an order on Apple.com. They're still saying Oct 12 for now, but if I can find one locally, I'll cancel the order.

Sorry to be so needy. Thanks in advance to everyone who has been kind enough to post to help in "my hunt".

13. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Finally found 2 cables over at the Sprint store in Troy, on Coolidge and Maple. Last two they had. Plus, since I bought two accessories, they gave me a 20% discount, so they were on $16 a piece instead of $20. Bonus! And now, my iPhone has life again!

A big thanks to those from the Detroit area who tried to help me find some. Much appreciated! :D

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Glad you found some. I initially bought 2 extra for our 2 phones. Quickly realized it's stupid to have to look for a cord or remember to move one from place to place, so I bought 2 more. We each now have 1 on our night stand, one in our cars, and one at our desks. We had that plus a couple spares before. I still want to get some longer ones when they are available.

Glad you were able to snag a few!

15. katai macrumors regular

Do you have to be a Sprint customer to get a discount?

16. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I'm not a Sprint customer. In fact, I didn't even ask for the discount, the lady on the phone just offered it up right away. I said I was looking for at least one Lightning cable, but if they had two, I would take it, and she said that they had exactly two left on hand. I asked if they we $19 like at the Apple store, and she said they were actually $20 (they charge $19.99), but since I was buying 2 accessories, they were 20% off. Since I work for one of the Big 3 automakers, I asked if that's the better discount vs an corporate discount, and she said she'd have to look at my account for that discount. I told her I wasn't a Sprint customer, and she said that I'd have to be a Sprint customer to use the corporate discount, but that I could still use the 20% off accessories without being a customer.

Not sure how long that's in effect for, but it means I picked up the official Apple cables for $3 cheaper (each) than I could if I had gone to the Apple store, plus, saved the additional $4 shipping if I had ordered at Apple.com.