Lightning in iPad charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Skika, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Skika macrumors 68030

Can i use the Lightning cable to charge my iPhone 5 with my iPad 3's charger?

Like i did it with the 4S?

2. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

I destroyed my iPhone 4 & 4S battery by using the ipad charger.
    I only use the iPhone chargers to charge my iPhones.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I personally only use the iPad charger to charge a phone in a pinch. It charges the phone fast and I can't imagine it being great for the phone. same holds true with any car charger... I've never thought those ones that plug into your cigarette lighter are good for phone batteries and the same seems to hold true for the USB ports.

4. PrestonWard macrumors member

i have been using an ipad charger on my 4, 4s and 5 without issue. I get amazing battery life.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I've been using it for years also. Apple's web site says the iPad charger is compatible with the iPhone.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

The iPad charger (as of October 22nd 2012) is compatible with all iPhones (except iPhone 5) according to apple's webpage.

I know see they have 12w iPad charger that is compatible with iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 and all iPads. But apple left out the USB cable. Cheap apple. Really cheap apple.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No, you don't understand causality. Your 4 & 4S batteries may have been "destroyed" and you may have used the iPad charger but that doesn't mean that there's a causal relationship there. You'll need to provide a lot more evidence for that claim.

8. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

Lucky.

What evidence do I 'need to provide'?
    My battery drain was pathetic after using the iPad charger, exclusively, for about a month on my iPhones.

I never use the iPad charger on my iPhone 5 and never will.

Dont get your panties in a bunch, Im just stating that the iPad charger killed my battery life & I had to go to the Apple Store - with 2 different iPhones - to get replacements due to battery drain.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

See, what you don't get is that the iPhone is only going to pull the charge it is capable of charging from. The iPhone is only capable of charging at 1A @ 5V so that's all it will pull from the charger. Just like plugging in your toaster to a wall outlet. Your wall outlet is set to allow for 15-20A, but your toaster only needs 2A, therefore it only takes 2A. If it took the 15-20A it would fry every time you used it. The iPad charger only makes 2.1A available, it doesn't mean every device hooked to it will pull 2.1A or else it would fry everything on first charging.

Sounds to me like you had a bad battery or something...

10. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I used the 10W brick on my iPhone 4, 4S and now the 5. No issues whatsoever

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

Rubbish. The iPad charger didn't destroy your phones. You obviously did something wrong for that to happen. I've been using my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4 and my 4S and not had any problems. As already mentioned the iPhone only uses as much charge as it needs and using an iPad charger with it does not lead to any problems.

12. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

Call it what you want.
    The 10v charge of the iPad wall charger ruined TWO of my iPhones.
    None before using the ipad wall charger ever experienced faster battery drop, none since I stopped using that wall charger have experienced rapid battery drop.

13. TRMC13 macrumors member

Basic electrical science doesn't support your claim. Something else must be wrong.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Any more old wives tales?:rolleyes:

15. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

16. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

10v going into something that is only supposed to take a 5v is the issue.

Its the same reason the iPhone charger doesnt charge your iPad :D

17. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah but both the iPad and iPhone use 5volts. I've used my iPhone charger to charge my iPad. You really need to understand the difference between 10w and 10v. The iPad charger is 5volts @ 2.1A = 10w (okay really 10.5). The iPhone is 5v @ 1A = 5w. In the end the iPhone on the iPad charger will only pull 1A the same as if it were on its native charger. The iPad will pull 2.1A on the iPad charger and only pull 1A on the iPhone charger (since 1A is all it can muster). Please please take a few minutes to understand basic power of electronics before you continue spewing this crap anymore... Whatever anecdotal evidence you have, is purely coincidence.

18. TRMC13 macrumors member

Funny, it charges my iPad. Takes forever, but it does the trick in a pinch. It's not going to charge while I'm using it to play games, but if it's off or in sleep, it'll charge it just fine. Again, please learn basic electric principles as previously stated.

19. Mr.C, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Mr.C macrumors 601

Like I said that's absolute rubbish. You have no idea what so ever what you're talking about. There is absolutely no way an iPad charger can ruin an iPhone. I suggest you stop misleading other people and maybe try to find out exactly what you did wrong to cause that. Considering how many people there are in this thread and elsewhere who have regularly used their iPad charger to charge their iPhone without any problems there is no basis in what you're saying.

The reason why the iPhone charger isn't good for charging the iPad is in simple terms it doesn't provide enough power and is not worth doing. The iPad charger provides more power then the iPhone needs but the iPhone only draws as much power as it needs.

20. solo118 macrumors 65816

I don't get how an iPad "brick" can ruin your iphone or make the battery deplete any way quicker than an iphone charger could.

It is not an issue because Apple built it to work with an iphone as well. It should just draw the amount of power needed.

PS The standard iphone charger does charge the ipad, just very very slowly. I have done it with my ipad 1

21. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I've used my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4 for a couple of years and now my iPhone 5 without any issues.

22. itjw macrumors 65816

The iPad 10W charger 100% will NOT damage your iPhone...

If you doubt this, read up on electricity and how it works on www.wikipedia.org.

The iPhone will not be hit by 10V because it's not a 10V charger it's a 5V 10W (2.1A) charger. As stated already, the iPhone will only draw 1A, but even if it could, it would NEVER get more than 5V, it would just get the 5V FASTER.

Amps
    Volts
    Watts

All DIFFERENT things...

Science. Another thing that is Apple's fault...

23. bri1212 macrumors 6502

My iphone charger does charge my iPad, and my ipad charger charges my iPhone, with no detrimental effects. Perhaps you had a bad phone, or a bad charger. There is no way charging with either charger will ever damage your phone under normal circumstances.