Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Is there a list somewhere of devices that are compatible with the Lightning to 30-pin adapter on an iPhone 5?

Speakers?
Microphones?
Audiophile DACs?
Camera connection kit?
MIDI keyboards?
Video output?
Medical MIFI devices?
Cars?
Anything else?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
To add to that, anyone know if it's compatible with the iSimple Gateway (iPhone/iPod audio car adapter)?

squidcommander

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Is there a list somewhere of devices that are compatible with the Lightning to 30-pin adapter on an iPhone 5?

Speakers?
Microphones?
Audiophile DACs?
Camera connection kit?
MIDI keyboards?
Video output?
Medical MIFI devices?
Cars?
Anything else?

I created a YouTube video that addresses some of these questions you can find a link to if you check my posts. I thought the only time the Camera Connection Kit worked with the iPhone was with the iOS 5 beta?

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
It'd be awesome if we could set up some kind of editable wiki situation to build up a good compatibility list.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
So far I've tested it with my sony dock that plugs into my surround sound system and also the USB sound system in my 2009 Honda Fit. The adapter works flawlessly in both.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
My brother has a Philips SBD7500 speaker dock that doesn't work. The audio plays for about 1/3 of a second and then stops.

If anyone else has a problem, it would be useful to hear what exactly does/doesn't work.

EDIT: The dock DOES work, but only when it's plugged into the mains power.

Last edited:

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Works with my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Tech, 17-speaker Lexicon with DIS (not touch screen).
Tested iTunes, MOG, charging, and steering wheel controls - all work.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Works with 2012 Audi. Car display shows song names, play lists, etc., just like on other iDevices with a 30 pin connector.

Raegor

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
I have a 5 year old ipod speaker system, works fine for charging and music.

I think its klipsch igroove but not sure of version details.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Has anyone tried it with Nissan "factory iPod connection" yet? (2009, 2010, 2011).

When they become available in store, I plan to buy one for my car. I will be testing it on my Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin Air as well. Will post success/failure if no one does before me.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Has anyone tried it with a "SendStation Dock Extender?" If so does the adapter fit and work correctly?
http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

The Sendstation was by idea for connecting to my car. The audio out works, but the charging does not. It starts to charge for a second, then the screen comes on and says "This device does not support charging." A HUGE disappointment to me.

Actually, it's a different product from Sendstation...

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html

jabij1

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Works with my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Tech, 17-speaker Lexicon with DIS (not touch screen).
Tested iTunes, MOG, charging, and steering wheel controls - all work.

Works with 2012 Audi. Car display shows song names, play lists, etc., just like on other iDevices with a 30 pin connector.

This is great news considering these features were meant to lose support with the adapter. Hope I get the same results.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is great news considering these features were meant to lose support with the adapter. Hope I get the same results.

People are confused about what that actually meant.

Some cars (e.g. from BMW) supported a feature where the iPhone would effectively output a video signal that could be put onto a screen by the car and would show the user their iTunes library in a similar manner to the classic iPod UI.

This Engadget article shows the UI on the screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/bmw-supports-ipod-out-fills-your-2011-auto-with-2001s-finest-u/

The current Lightning adaptors don't currently support video output, or this feature specifically, so that won't work.

What WILL work and is far more common, is basic text output - track names, playlist names etc.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I tried using my coworker's old iLive dock. I already knew it wouldn't charge the phone, since the dock is one of the older ones that uses the firewire pin to charge and not the USB pin, and iPhone lost firewire charging in the 2nd or 3rd gen (can't remember). It still played music flawlessly though!

jabij1

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
People are confused about what that actually meant.

Some cars (e.g. from BMW) supported a feature where the iPhone would effectively output a video signal that could be put onto a screen by the car and would show the user their iTunes library in a similar manner to the classic iPod UI.

This Engadget article shows the UI on the screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/bmw-supports-ipod-out-fills-your-2011-auto-with-2001s-finest-u/

The current Lightning adaptors don't currently support video output, or this feature specifically, so that won't work.

What WILL work and is far more common, is basic text output - track names, playlist names etc.

Hmm you're right. I misread the part about iPod out and steering wheel controls not being supported. I mistook that for being any kind of output to your car (including song info as plain text). Thanks for the clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.