Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
My closet apple store is not really all that close, I am wondering if anyone has had luck at their local best buy/target/Cellular service store on finding the standard lightning usb cable. I know the Apple store has them, but would rather avoid the drive for just a cable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been to two Apple Stores and both had them in stock. My wife picked up some yesterday and I saw them over the weekend.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I don't think that the Apple store even has them. Apple gets a big fat FAIL for changing the charging method without giving consumers access to the damn cables or adapters at launch (outside of the ONE that came with the phone). They should've had millions of the damn things ready to go instead of them being back ordered from day one.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I don't think that the Apple store even has them. Apple gets a big fat FAIL for changing the charging method without giving consumers access to the damn cables or adapters at launch (outside of the ONE that came with the phone). They should've had millions of the damn things ready to go instead of them being back ordered from day one.

My 2~3 week estimate cable ended up shipping 1 week after I ordered it. They are making these things pretty quickly - supply should be ok soon.

In fact - the new estimate has been recently falling in the online store.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
My 2~3 week estimate cable ended up shipping 1 week after I ordered it. They are making these things pretty quickly - supply should be ok soon.

In fact - the new estimate has been recently falling in the online store.

I'm headed to Orlando in a couple of weeks to take my little munchkin to visit the mouse. I'll drop by an Apple store while I'm there and see if they have any in stock. I sure wish we had a store closer to me, but 4 hours is a bit far to drive for a cable, IMO.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
My closet apple store is not really all that close, I am wondering if anyone has had luck at their local best buy/target/Cellular service store on finding the standard lightning usb cable. I know the Apple store has them, but would rather avoid the drive for just a cable.

You could simply call your local stores and ask.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Apple store in Pasadena, Ca has tons. Bought one last Sundy to carry around.

As a resident of Pasadena, and frequent visitor to this store, they always have everything, never a clear shelf or product, it's my go to store!

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
What did it say before you edited it? I'm curious ��

i replied to the second post, just saying how no one really read the OP. most replies are about the apple store, when he stated he knows they have it at the apple store and is curious to third party retail stores.

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
My Best Buy had a whole shopping cart full of USB to lightning cables about 15 minutes ago. No 30 pin adaptors though

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Go start to buy one on Apple.com

Then click 'pick up' instead of shipping and it will show you which local stores have them in stock:

applestores.jpg

You don't have to finish buying it online at that point if you don't want to do that...you can just quit the browser and head off to the store.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
ffs people. hes not asking about the apple store.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
ffs people. hes not asking about the apple store.

Yeah cool and all, but people are trying to help other and let them know what stores may have what, regardless of the OP.

But thanks for the thoughts hall monitor!

NSTforYoMama

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I have a Belkin Car Charger. Can I plug the USB end of the new lightning cable into the car charger and have it work properly? Don't want to hurt anything.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I have a Belkin Car Charger. Can I plug the USB end of the new lightning cable into the car charger and have it work properly? Don't want to hurt anything.

Yes. Anything with a USB female connection will work fine with the lightning cable.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Why do people keep posting about the apple store when the OP made it clear he was too far from the Apple Store?

Reading ability should be an entry level skill before joining message boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.