Lightroom 4 Released (and cheaper!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phrasikleia, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Yay! Does that mean CS6 will be out soon too?

I'm about to graduate, and was really hoping that both LR4 and CS6 get released before I lose my academic purchasing privileges. :)

2. TheDrift-, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Darn it...i just finally got enough courage to leave comfy ol aperture and get up to speed with LR...been login it at last...now theres a new one :roll eyes:

Is there an option to upgrade from LR3?

**Edit**

Just ordered mine upgrade in Uk is £60.57 for digital and (strangely) £59.09 for them to send you the disk in the box,

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yes, it's about half the (new) price for the upgrade.

Edit: One minute too slow with my reply. :D

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Doesn't seem a bad price from Adobe, I normally wait for Amazon to stock the upgrades. Think I'll order direct from Adobe this time (unless Amazon offer it much cheaper in the next week or so).

5. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Kawabonga !! :)

6. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Now we need a Camera Raw update so that I can export from LR to CS5 using Smart Objects.

7. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

You can already do this cant you...right click image > edit in > open as smart object in photoshop?

8. Edge100, Mar 6, 2012

Edge100 macrumors 68000

Yes, but you can't use the 2012 Raw process engine in CR 6.6, so the sliders are completely different (i.e. they're the ones from LR 3.6). This means all of the processing benefits of the 2012 process are lost, which means I might as well use LR3.

In the image below, I've shown a photo of my son processed in LR4 (right) and then exported as a Smart Object to CS5.1 (left). Basically, the photo gets reverted back to it's SOOC form when exported using the LR3/CR6.6 Raw process.

Attached Files:

9. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

ahh my bad didnt quite get you, i've not used LR4 yet...I take it you could get round this by making the adjustments in LR (on a Virt copy if needed) and opening up a seperate file in CS5 and copying that over to your working file in CS5?

I always tend to do the double raw conversions rather than smart objects anyway

edit** or is this everytime you export it uses the old engine?

10. Edge100 macrumors 68000

You can render the image in LR and then edit in CS5.1, no problem.

But then this defeats the purpose of Smart Objects, since once you render the image to a TIFF or PSD, you lose the ability to edit the RAW.

I prefer to leave the rendering until the last possible moment, to avoid having to go back and 'develop' my RAW multiple times.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm quasi tempted for the upgrade. I'm generally pleased with LR3 and to be honest I don't think I really use the editing capability of the app all that much. Just minor touch ups.

I'm not planning on upgrading my photoshop so with LR4 using PV2012 I may run into issues with its integration of PS as well.

12. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I have a bad habit of making a layer stamp ontop of my adjustment layers which kinda negates using smart objects anyway....so no prbs for me..still you would have thought they would have sorted this for the release

13. Edge100 macrumors 68000

This is typical; CR updates have traditionally lagged behind LR updates by a few weeks. I can manage until then; I don't do a ton of editing in CS5, anyway.

14. cr2 macrumors regular

How will you upgrade Aperture Library to LR4 or CS6?

I have a big library in Aperture and I don't know what is a the best way to get rid of Aperture and move to LR4 and CS6. Any suggestions?

15. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I used the sophisticated method of abandonment :eek:

I still have aperture so I can go back and export any photo's I want..anytime..I have also exported and regually backed up my photo's to a network drive. So I could also go there to get my pictures too.

A fresh start and a nice neat file structure is working wonders for me at the mo:)

I tried a couple of times to make the move before and went straight back to Aperture after about 20 mins of LR..finally got the Scott Kelby book to hold my hand and help make the change...pleased I did but took a coupe of hours a day for a week or so to finally start to click with it...I found it no where near as intuitive as A3 to start with

Edit** I do mean to go back sometime and maybe export my favourites to LR3/4, will probably do next time I want one exporting

16. sananda macrumors 68020

I know whether to get a download or box. With Apple, I don't worry because redownloading from the App Store is easy. But I don't know about Adobe.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Once you get the license # from adobe, you can re-download as many times as you need. Just download the demo and plug in the license #

18. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Options:

1. Burn a copy (or four) of the downloaded disk image
    2. Store a copy of the downloaded disk image on an external HD
    2. Store a copy of the downloaded disk image on Dropbox

Problem solved.

EDIT: See ^^^

19. sananda macrumors 68020

Thanks!!

20. someoldguy macrumors 65816

The price might make it worth trying LR again . Tried LR when it came out initially (LR1) and couldn't stand it . For me , the learning curve was a learning wall.
    Maybe this time........

21. Edge100 macrumors 68000

LR4 is nearly a completely different program from LR1.

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Last week I had purchased LR3 at the discount price hoping to see a decent upgrade price that would of course be less than a new price. Well, looks like it isn't any less :(

LR3 $70, LR4 upgrade $80 = $150. The same price as LR4. dang it.

23. John.B, Mar 6, 2012

John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Run both? :cool:

I can't imagine re-converting every image, just for the sake of getting rid of Aperture. I always keep the raws, the edits (in whatever program), and export all of my "keepers" to JPEGs (or sometimes TIFFs) in a separate library.

The only way I'd revisit an individual image would be if I thought it could make use of improved noise reduction, etc.

YMMV.

Contact Adobe Customer Support with all the pertinent details: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

I'd be shocked if they didn't get you fixed right up. :)

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Ok, just found this after reading a flickr discussion

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html

I will be checking this out for sure.