Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no need to justify it. People are free to spend their own money any way they see fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

btw, I have a 10.5 IPP, and I have no desire to buy the 11" but that's me and my personal decision. There's no harm in another person deciding to use their own money to buy one.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This was my plan but then after tax....apple care and case it more like an additional $400 and not $200. Its not that i dont have the money....i just feel like im just buying into the marketing.

That’s fair. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what they want to spend their money on. I am very happy with the upgrade.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not looking for annual salaries...won the lotto....elitist....just good compelling reasons why you dropped the cash.

What’s the justifiable reason NOT to do so?

Silly thread is silly. Upgrade or stay satisfied with old tech. My dad owned and drove a 1968 Rambler until last year. He just didn’t give a crap about spending money on something new. Others quite obviously do.

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
- 11’ is beter than 10.5’ for reading and browsing
- faster
- more beatiful, with smaller bezels, and a mackbook look.
- Better Pencil for noting
- i like the gestures of a homebuttonless device, like my iPhone X.
- because I can afford without financial effort

Clearly under Apple's deep hypnosis.o_O Hopefully his family soon realizes this and gets him the help he needs to come out of it. Let us all take a moment to pray for him.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yes tell me more about your tin foil Apple is manipulating ppl stories. We love those! lol

I believe you started to claim the new iPad as bezel-less. Maybe own that mistake, adjust your wording instead of trying to find something else to ridicule a person who gives you feedback.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Apple Pencil 2, USB-C, LTE version, larger display, Face ID. I use my iPad as a notepad in class and display monitor at home. It’s a multipurpose for me, but the 12.9 becomes an appleTV IMO. Just too big. My ideal size would be a 12” with the same aspect ratio as the current 11”.

Reactions: IowaLynn

mlourenco9

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Clearly under Apple's deep hypnosis.o_O Hopefully his family soon realizes this and gets him the help he needs to come out of it. Let us all take a moment to pray for him.

Lol!
do not worry about me and my family we love Apple hypnosis. but I think you should cure yourself of stupidity. It is by far more expensive.

Reactions: pdaholic

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I’m a very big proponent of handwritten notes. I just tend to remember things better when I write them. I was disappointed at my last meeting on Friday because there was nothing worth writing down and I wanted to use my new Pencil more!

It's scientifically proven that you remember things better when your handwrite them versus typing them

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My iPad 10.5 256gb only cost me £400 and it has AppleCare till August 2019. I bought it 6 months ago used. I will look for a similar good deal on this in a few months.
Where was this from? Very good price was this new, or from where? I have a 10.5" 64Gb like the look of the 11" but can't really justify it, but I want more storage, 256Gb so looking for deals and to sell my 64Gb

Thanks

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I believe you started to claim the new iPad as bezel-less. Maybe own that mistake, adjust your wording instead of trying to find something else to ridicule a person who gives you feedback.
I have no idea what you mean. But someone took a dig at me, and said that Apple likes to hypnotize ppl into thinking stuff. They been trolling everyone here. So I thought it was funny he had this tin foil theory about everyone and made a comment about it.

And I never meant there was no bezels on the iPad. I said I liked the iPad cause of its smaller bezels. And Faceid. You guys spend too much time on here. lol

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
Good question.. I did because I couldn’t stand the weakened oleohobic coating on my last one and the annoying white spot inches from the lightning connector.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It's 2x faster.

Big upgrade. Very advanced stuff. Pencil, cpu, USB-C.

And then you get the bill..... :D

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Where was this from? Very good price was this new, or from where? I have a 10.5" 64Gb like the look of the 11" but can't really justify it, but I want more storage, 256Gb so looking for deals and to sell my 64Gb

Thanks
Apple offered $325 for my 10.5. That helps.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Saw one in person yesterday. Really liked the design and I wanted one, but price and feature don't justify an upgrade from my 10.5". I may reconsider when it goes on sale for $150-200 off, but even then it's probably not worth it for me. And this is coming from someone who owned all iPads except for the 4.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
10.5 to 11 inches isn’t drastic to me, but I think the 12.9 iPad is far to large and unwieldy. Aside from the new display size, Im still contemplating the Apple Pencil 2, even though my uses are limited, its enticing enough for notes and I like the charging capabilities that it’s now capable of.

Mac2Crack

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2009
Winnipeg,Canada
I sold my 10.5" Mint condition and a couple of cases for just shy of $700 rolled it back into a new 11". Why? I really fell for the new design and A12Bionic. No regrets here at all. I figure I will get more longevity out of the A12B.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
There probably isn’t a justifiable reason to upgrade from the 10.5 to the 11. That being said the new iPad Pro 11 is a compelling re-design so if you can find a deal then go for it.

I personally have a 10.5 and I was hoping for a backlit type cover, so I’m holding off until an aftermarket backlit keyboard comes out that I like.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I bought the 11 inch to replace my 10.5 based on the reviews and the bigger screen size. However I have decided to return it and keep my 10.5 for the following reasons.

It feels uncomfortable to hold and type on without a Smart Keyboard. The new design which did away with the curved edges has made it slightly more uncomfortable to hold. For those of us who remember switching from the iPhone 3/3gs to the iPhone 4 will understand.

The screen is dimmer than my old 10.5 when on the same auto brightness. Not a major issue but certain videos still pop a little more on the iPad 10.5

Face ID when holding the iPad naturally gets covered up for me. I have to move my hand and it just irritates me. For the price I don’t see why they didn’t place another one for when in use in landscape mode.

Performance. All the games that ran slightly sluggish on my iPad 10.5 still do the same on here. Life is Strange is an example. They need to be optimised not the hardwares fault.

The biggest reason by far. The apps that are not updated to support the full screen. I’ve had to deal with this issue in the past when we switched from the iPhone 4 to the 5 and then again through the following phones. On the iPhone X when I got it on launch day I justified it because the overall phone made the waiting worthwhile. But even then it took almost 9 months before all the apps supported the new format, this includes google inbox and gmail. On this iPad I can’t justify waiting for all the apps to get updated and use them in a limited fashion.

If you are seriously looking to update from the 10.5 to the 11 I would advise you to wait just a little bit for everything to get optimised and then purchase it. This is my own personal opinion. I will be buying this again in a few months when all the apps are optimised. This will also allow give me the option to buy a used one if I want.

My iPad 10.5 256gb only cost me £400 and it has AppleCare till August 2019. I bought it 6 months ago used. I will look for a similar good deal on this in a few months.

Couldn’t agree more. Not being as comfortable (compared to 10.5) to hold was my biggest gripe. Along with the app resolution issue, I hated the new software keyboard and that the Photos app cropped your photos by default in order to show off the curved edges of the display. There should be an option to not crop and I bet they’ll eventually add that as a Photos setting. In the end I returned mine after 4 days and will wait until next year when I get a little more for my money. I can only hope that maybe next year they’ll make it 10-20% lighter and easier to hold. Unlikely but Air to Air 2 gives me hope.
[doublepost=1541996842][/doublepost]
Face ID. Total pain having to manually enter passwords for apps/websites etc. TouchID stopped working due to fingertip rash.

A rash on all 10 of your finger tips?? If not you can enroll multiple fingers if you didnt realize it.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I just sold my 10.5 iPad pro. Two reasons. Firstly I had bought a keyboard and pencil with the 10.5, but I never really used them, so I figured I better sell the lot now while the 10.5 is still a current model and I could get a decent price for the lot... Secondly I wanted more storage so went for the 256G, the 10.5 was 64G.... and also I liked the idea of a larger screen... nearly went with the new 12.9 but that's still too big...

calexandre

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Like many posters who've already commented, the new pencil and keyboard cover design plus USB-C caught my attention. The pencil and keyboard make up the bulk of my usage, and I'd like my iPad to be able to seamlessly share my MacBook Pro's higher-wattage power brick for faster charging. What helps push me over the edge is that I'll be selling my 10.5 in the UK (where prices are higher) and buying the 11 in the U.S.... and the iPad is absolutely essential for my work, so I feel just fine about putting it on a frequent upgrade schedule. Now I need to talk myself into the iPhone XS from the iPhone 7, which is proving tougher....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.