Likelihood of 17" Retina Display MacBook Pro?

davidhunternyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Now, just after the announcement of the new 13" and 15" MacBook Pro's with retina display, how likely is it that we will get a 17" retina display Mac Book Pro? I do hope that Apple will continue to offer a 17" MacBook Pro. I am now worried with fingers crossed behind my back...

Silver5656

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
i seriously doubt a 17" (either normal or retina) will be available anytime soon as most major news outlets have come to the conclusion that the 17" has been permanently dropped

Comment

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
The retina 15 inch is able to scale to the 17-inch resolution of 1920x1200, so it was likely seen as redundant.

Comment

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
It does seem to be gone. My guess is that the people who want a 17" laptop mostly want a much bigger machine than Apple was making -- people don't get a 17" machine because they are desperate for the thinnest machine they can get, they get it because they want more ports and features.

Comment

davidhunternyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
The retina 15 inch is able to scale to the 17-inch resolution of 1920x1200, so it was likely seen as redundant.
It does seem to be gone. My guess is that the people who want a 17" laptop mostly want a much bigger machine than Apple was making -- people don't get a 17" machine because they are desperate for the thinnest machine they can get, they get it because they want more ports and features.
...either that or we just want larger screen space. A retina display on a 17" MacBook Pro could scale up to a 21" screen size. I am disappointed that Apple dropped the 17" MacBook Pro from its lineup. Until Apple comes out and says that 17" laptops are unnecessary then I will hold out hope that, once retina display technology becomes cheaper to manufacturer, we will get a 17" MacBook Pro.

Comment

iMusings

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
You are using it wrong, just get the 15 incher RMBP and sit closer. It will feel like Retina, I assure you.

Comment

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
No one is spending $4k on a laptop. Apple will already have a hell of a time getting people to shell out $2800 or even $2300 for what is essentially a netbook with a better quality screen.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
No one is spending $4k on a laptop. Apple will already have a hell of a time getting people to shell out $2800 or even $2300 for what is essentially a netbook with a better quality screen.
"Essentially a netbook" So it has a miniature keyboard, a basic version of an OS, extremely underpowered specs, and is basically useless? No.

Comment

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
"Essentially a netbook" So it has a miniature keyboard, a basic version of an OS, extremely underpowered specs, and is basically useless? No.
It doesn't even have an optical drive or ethernet port which is a joke. Even $500 laptops have Blu Ray drives and ethernet ports. Apple needs to stick to MP3s and phones, they clearly have zero clue what they are doing with computers.

Comment

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Apparently you haven't seen the 2-3 week shipping times on these "netbooks with better quality screens" :rolleyes:

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
It doesn't even have an optical drive or ethernet port which is a joke. Even $500 laptops have Blu Ray drives and ethernet ports. Apple needs to stick to MP3s and phones, they clearly have zero clue what they are doing with computers.
Yeah, I'm so irritated they didn't add a Floppy drive either! That was the deal breaker for me, since this is 2001 and all...

Comment

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, I'm so irritated they didn't add a Floppy drive either! That was the deal breaker for me, since this is 2001 and all...
You know how many people watch movies on their laptops? You know how many business still use ethernet ports? If you think everyone streams everything from the cloud and has access to high speed wifi everywhere you are sadly mistaken.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
You know how many people watch movies on their laptops? You know how many business still use ethernet ports? If you think everyone streams everything from the cloud and has access to high speed wifi everywhere you are sadly mistaken.
Carrying around a binder full of DVDs isn't exactly optimal for "portability"

And for every person that does uses Ethernet/Optical drive daily, theres at least 50 people that don't. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. That is why there is USB optical drives and Thunderbolt -> Gigabit Ethernet.

Also, do you realize how bad a standard DVD movie will look on that high-res screen?

Comment

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Carrying around a binder full of DVDs isn't exactly optimal for "portability"

And for every person that does uses Ethernet/Optical drive daily, theres at least 50 people that don't. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. That is why there is USB optical drives and Thunderbolt -> Gigabit Ethernet.

Also, do you realize how bad a standard DVD movie will look on that high-res screen?
LMAO. If you believe everyone has high speed wifi access everywhere they go and can access the cloud to magically watch all their movies in high def from anywhere, you must also live in a land with unicorns and rainbows all the time too! Wow, just stop.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
LMAO. If you believe everyone has high speed wifi access everywhere they go and can access the cloud to magically watch all their movies in high def from anywhere, you must also live in a land with unicorns and rainbows all the time too! Wow, just stop.
Did I say everyone? No, I said most.

Comment

davidhunternyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
You are using it wrong, just get the 15 incher RMBP and sit closer. It will feel like Retina, I assure you.
I predict there will be a 17" again once 3840x2400 screens are available :)
As to the first quote, sitting closer to the screen isn't the solution. Even with my current 13" MacBook Pro, I don't like to be physically close to the screen. The back lighting hurts my eyes. As to the second quote, I hope you are right. Please, Apple, don't give up on the 17" MacBook Pro! I want to be able to edit photos without compromise and with the largest amount of screen space possible. Does anyone know that Nikon has introduced a DSLR with 36mp! A retina display at 17" would sure make photo editing easier.

Comment

Tralmek

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2009
Nixing the 17" makes me unhappy. I certainly won't be buying a new MBP until they return the 17" option to their lineup.

No optical drive: I expected that, and I don't care too much, although it is nice to be able to make DVDs on the go.

No matte option: Color me unhappy again. I much prefer it to having the glass.

No Firewire port: Unhappy, but I should be upgrading to TB anyway.

Addition of HDMI port: Yay!

Flash-only storage: Sweet!

Overall, this gen is a no-go for me. I'll tough it out, wait and see if a 17" gets introduced in the future.

Comment

newbieOSX

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Back in 2008 only the 13" & 15" unibody Macbook Pro was immediately available, it was a few months later in early 2009 the 17" unibody was released.

During this time Apple was still selling the older model aluminum chassis 17", with the same cpu/gpu ingredients I think.

It's too early now to say 17" are out... wait a couple more months and then I'm sure it can be fully confirmed.

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
What crazy world do you live in where net books have quad core CPUs, 8 GB of RAM and SSDs? Are there unicorns and leprechauns there?

Comment

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
What crazy world do you live in where net books have quad core CPUs, 8 GB of RAM and SSDs? Are there unicorns and leprechauns there?
There are already sub $1k ultrabooks with quad cores and the netbooks are on their way, start coming next year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.