Likelihood of 17" Retina Display MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidhunternyc, Jun 11, 2012.

1. davidhunternyc macrumors member

Now, just after the announcement of the new 13" and 15" MacBook Pro's with retina display, how likely is it that we will get a 17" retina display Mac Book Pro? I do hope that Apple will continue to offer a 17" MacBook Pro. I am now worried with fingers crossed behind my back...

2. Exio macrumors regular

3. Silver5656 macrumors member

i seriously doubt a 17" (either normal or retina) will be available anytime soon as most major news outlets have come to the conclusion that the 17" has been permanently dropped

4. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The retina 15 inch is able to scale to the 17-inch resolution of 1920x1200, so it was likely seen as redundant.

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

It does seem to be gone. My guess is that the people who want a 17" laptop mostly want a much bigger machine than Apple was making -- people don't get a 17" machine because they are desperate for the thinnest machine they can get, they get it because they want more ports and features.

6. davidhunternyc thread starter macrumors member

...either that or we just want larger screen space. A retina display on a 17" MacBook Pro could scale up to a 21" screen size. I am disappointed that Apple dropped the 17" MacBook Pro from its lineup. Until Apple comes out and says that 17" laptops are unnecessary then I will hold out hope that, once retina display technology becomes cheaper to manufacturer, we will get a 17" MacBook Pro.

7. iMusings macrumors member

You are using it wrong, just get the 15 incher RMBP and sit closer. It will feel like Retina, I assure you.

8. mrbutters macrumors regular

No one is spending $4k on a laptop. Apple will already have a hell of a time getting people to shell out $2800 or even $2300 for what is essentially a netbook with a better quality screen.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

"Essentially a netbook" So it has a miniature keyboard, a basic version of an OS, extremely underpowered specs, and is basically useless? No.

10. mrbutters macrumors regular

It doesn't even have an optical drive or ethernet port which is a joke. Even $500 laptops have Blu Ray drives and ethernet ports. Apple needs to stick to MP3s and phones, they clearly have zero clue what they are doing with computers.

11. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Apparently you haven't seen the 2-3 week shipping times on these "netbooks with better quality screens" :rolleyes:

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I predict there will be a 17" again once 3840x2400 screens are available :)

13. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yeah, I'm so irritated they didn't add a Floppy drive either! That was the deal breaker for me, since this is 2001 and all...

14. mrbutters macrumors regular

You know how many people watch movies on their laptops? You know how many business still use ethernet ports? If you think everyone streams everything from the cloud and has access to high speed wifi everywhere you are sadly mistaken.

15. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Carrying around a binder full of DVDs isn't exactly optimal for "portability"

And for every person that does uses Ethernet/Optical drive daily, theres at least 50 people that don't. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. That is why there is USB optical drives and Thunderbolt -> Gigabit Ethernet.

Also, do you realize how bad a standard DVD movie will look on that high-res screen?

16. Martialis macrumors member

[​IMG]

17. mrbutters macrumors regular

LMAO. If you believe everyone has high speed wifi access everywhere they go and can access the cloud to magically watch all their movies in high def from anywhere, you must also live in a land with unicorns and rainbows all the time too! Wow, just stop.

18. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Did I say everyone? No, I said most.

19. davidhunternyc thread starter macrumors member

As to the first quote, sitting closer to the screen isn't the solution. Even with my current 13" MacBook Pro, I don't like to be physically close to the screen. The back lighting hurts my eyes. As to the second quote, I hope you are right. Please, Apple, don't give up on the 17" MacBook Pro! I want to be able to edit photos without compromise and with the largest amount of screen space possible. Does anyone know that Nikon has introduced a DSLR with 36mp! A retina display at 17" would sure make photo editing easier.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

21. Tralmek macrumors member

Nixing the 17" makes me unhappy. I certainly won't be buying a new MBP until they return the 17" option to their lineup.

No optical drive: I expected that, and I don't care too much, although it is nice to be able to make DVDs on the go.

No matte option: Color me unhappy again. I much prefer it to having the glass.

No Firewire port: Unhappy, but I should be upgrading to TB anyway.

Addition of HDMI port: Yay!

Flash-only storage: Sweet!

Overall, this gen is a no-go for me. I'll tough it out, wait and see if a 17" gets introduced in the future.

22. newbieOSX macrumors newbie

Back in 2008 only the 13" & 15" unibody Macbook Pro was immediately available, it was a few months later in early 2009 the 17" unibody was released.

During this time Apple was still selling the older model aluminum chassis 17", with the same cpu/gpu ingredients I think.

It's too early now to say 17" are out... wait a couple more months and then I'm sure it can be fully confirmed.

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What crazy world do you live in where net books have quad core CPUs, 8 GB of RAM and SSDs? Are there unicorns and leprechauns there?

24. mrbutters macrumors regular

There are already sub $1k ultrabooks with quad cores and the netbooks are on their way, start coming next year.