Limera1n vs greenp0ison

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bunger, Oct 10, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

Aside from the question os "who is more ethical", what are the technical differences between these two exploits? In other words, why wait for greenp0ison, especially if they are shelving shatter until Nov and incorporating limera1n (technically speaking)

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

http://www.iphone4forum.net/forum/iphone-4-hacking-17/greenpois0n-limera1n-3769/
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315663
    http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?p=291990#post291990
    Just what I found with a fast google search.... it's your friend give it a shot.

There is no ethical issue at all. Those that are crying because GH put out his ra1n are just sour grapes. CD was going to put out a jb that only worked on products with a4 chip leaving all 3g 3gs's and several touch models out in the rain. There is no reason to wait for GP. I JB the wifes i4 with lr without issue. Worked great and she is happy to finally be jb.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Did you have to have iTunes installed on the Windows machine from which you ran limera1n ( for the iPhone drivers )? I only sync my i4 with a Mac, but have a clean Windows box from which I can JB - just not sure if I can load limera1n on it and jb away.

On a side note, I have read that the ra1n exploit will likely be a short term break that apple will patch with ios 4.2. however, i don't know if ra1n is a bootrom exploit, which would nullify that theory...

4. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

It seems to be a dog eat dog or a Dev eat Dev world out there without much in the way of honor among 'em from some camps.

But I'm just an end user with an opinion (mostly uninformed) but from what I can gather there are 2 differences.
    One is as droid said, the GP JB was for iP4 only. Although, aren't there already JB tools for earlier iPhones?
    Two, I'm guessing that the GP JB was at least tested to the point where CDT felt comfortable releasing it on the public at large. It's looking like the LR JB is still in 'beta' & not quite ready for release.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

big difference between the camps Chronic or Dev team doesn't release beta stuff they try to get it right 1st. yes they might improve stuff but they try to get it working as good as possible. Geohot seems more bent on being 1st on the block. this just has me ticked this morning.

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

For me at least it's a good thing Geohot released Limera1n. I have a 3GS, and have been waiting for over a month to jaibreak since I upgraded to 4.1. Only to find out that SHAtter is limited to an A4 chip exploit...

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Devteam seems to be more bent on doing things their way then what's good for all. Could go either way.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually the exact opposite.
    They do things their way so it benefits many instead of the few.
    They're not self centered divas or attention seekers.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

disagree go back a look what Geohot was tweeting before he left the community I think he is only interested in his ego! I think this is the main reason he left or was asked to leave the Devteam. the Devteam tries to release stable jailbreaks the down side is this means longer wait times the up side we don't get betas and we get support. to me that is good for all bit bad for the have to have it now group.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Well why would you upgrade to 4.1 then? Seems to me there can't be that many people who have 3GS and want to jb but can't. Don't hate on jb makers because you screwed something up and upgraded when you weren't supposed to

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

People like him will never stop clicking update first and asking questions and crying later:D

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

from what I read I think you might have that backwards. it is the same type of exploit and that is why everyone is mad. It is said to be a permanent jb. but regardless the dev is saving theirs until 4.2 so even if limera1n is a temp solution it will be fixed by the dev when 4.2 is released. and there was no solution for the 3gs or 4 on 4.o.2 or 4.1 for the last month or so. you could still do the 3g. and there are alot more people that have no clue on how to wipe a phone before they sell it and end up upgrading the firmware so yes there will always be a huge number of people with a 3gs that will need to have a solution to JB. not just a few like was said on here.......... I buy and sell iPhones and have several instock that I was waiting on the JB so I could sell them. I did one last night and it went perfect.

13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Both exploits are bootrom and unpatchable by apple. Apple can NOT fix a bootrom exploit without changing the hardware so this jb will work on all devices out now for any future firmware updates including 4.2 and 5.0. IF apple changes the hardware and bootrom a new exploit, like shatter, will have to be used or found. I feel like we need a sticky with all of the jb terms for these noobs not understanding what is going on and screwing things up all the time. It's just sad how many times the info is posted here but people choose not to read it and just jb or start updating things and then post about their problems and complain that they need a new jb and unlock. Well if you rely on a jb and unlock quit clicking **** if you don't know what it is.

I can already see how many posts we are gonna get complaining about how they can't unlock because they chose to update to 4.1 so they could have hdr and gamecwnter. Once again, quit clicking things you don't understand.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

In making a Judgment call on this one you have to imagine a Scenario where Cronic Dev team announce a release date of 10/10 and at the same time announce it only works on the A4 Chip. They get a call from Geohot who says. “Here is my alternative Bootrom exploit, it works on all devices and I think apple is already aware of it and will fix it with the next hardware release.” Why not use mine in Greenpois0n and delay the 10/10 release date so you have time to make the change.

Geohot is pretty adamant that this is the right approach, and that Shater should be saved for the future, but gets rebuffed from Cronic Dev because they do not want to delay Geenpois0n. They “CronicDev” have taken a lot of criticism in the past for their inability to deliver and feel that missing the ETA will hurt their reputation even more. They decline to go along with Geohot.

Geohot is convinced that his approach is right and feel the only way to get the right end result is to force the issue. He is aware this is going to make him unpopular with a section of the community but does it anyway.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

An excellent summary. Everyone should read this before commenting.

16. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Thank you! More people need to read this and be informed before vilifying Geohot for no reason at all. Do they really think he was just doing it to be a d*ck?

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Don't released freaking untested and broken tool, publish the exploit in the wiki page would have the same effect without the issues. Still a dick move!

18. TehReaper macrumors regular

Lol people will QQ for about anything these days. Geohot did the right.

19. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

How is that an excellent summary? Its speculation.

Imagine this:

Chronic Dev Team has an exploit ready to be released for PC, Mac, and Linux. Geohot has another one that he was working on, but wasn't talking about. He tricks Comex to give him part of their exploit so he can make his untethered, and releases it a day before Chronic releases theirs, so he can put a paypal button on his page and try to get donations.

An excellent summary. Everyone should read this before commenting.

20. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Hmmmm, this sounds so familiar, where have I heard of this before?

Who is it that is forcing something onto a great majority of people who are completely against a policy or a plan of action of some kind.
    Where is a large group of people having a something or other rammed down their throat even though they have specifically said that they dont want it?

Hmmmm, who, who, who...?:rolleyes:

21. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Would be cool if it was true, but it's not so quit commenting on things you aren't informed of.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Geohot released beta software at the last minute to force SHAtter to be used for 4.2.

Still can't decide whether that's good or bad. Still got 4.0.1 so I am happy for now.

23. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Good point, except that had nothing it do with anything. Geohot tried to give ChronicDev the exploit and let THEM release it. This isn't about stealing donations, he wanted them to have it! They refused to push back their announced launch date. They were going to burn the SHAtter exploit for no reason and Geohot simply did the only thing he could do to prevent it.

24. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Shatter doesn't have to and better not be used for 4.2. We need to quit wasting exploits on point releases. The limerain exploit is bootrom so all devices out now will forever be jailbreakable via this exploit even when 4.2, 4.3, and 5.0 are released. A new exploit will only have to be used for future hardware when apple changes the bootrom which could happen in the coming weeks for the iPhone4 or it may not happen until iPhone 5

25. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I think you forgot to end your comment with, "you stupid dickhead!".

I mean, if youre gonna talk down to him you should go all the way...:D