Line Ups Next Friday

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Redsfan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

The good father that I am is going to pull his 11 year old from school in the Morning next Friday...how early should we line up at the Apple Store?

:eek::eek::eek:

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Go 5am! Not waiting too long and should be close enough to the front to almost guarantee you one.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Really depends on the traffic at your store. If its in a dense urban area, go around 3-4am. If its in the suburbs, 5-6am is my suggestion.

5. token787 macrumors regular

token787

^ This

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

That's a pretty cool dad

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That should up his cool factor in school. Could you at least lie to his friends and tell them you're bringing him to a whore house to lose his virginity as your father did with you and his for him? I lined up one hour before opening when the iPad 2 came out in the garden state plaza one week after they came out and got one. I'm guessing two hours would be good but can't u do a drive by a few hours before to see if the line started yet?

8. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Why line up when you can buy online and your son doesn't have to miss school and still receives on launch day.

9. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

Agreed. That's an awesome dad. As long as you make sure he doesn't have any tests that day and all his homework is completed, I don't see any problem with this.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's fun to play hooky occasionally, even more so with your cool dad. :)

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Because the preorders (white) are sold out already, is my guess

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Will it be difficult to keep your 11 year old entertained while waiting for the store to open? Why not just order it online, the black model is still available for delivery on Friday - that way there's no problem in pulling him out of school just to buy a tablet.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

What time is Apple opening. I've only done two lines -- when there was no online preordering. First was the original iPhone. Second the iPad 2. In both cases it was a 5pm or 6pm on sale time and I got in line around 3pm.

If it's a early AM opening then all bets are off. Mall security is different at every mall. Some let you stay in your car all night if you want, other start handing out line# tickets at 2pm and tell you to come back a 5pm. So call the mall security you are going to and ask if they have a procedure.

14. dthree36 macrumors regular

I don't know how big the lines will be for the mini. I don't remember the iPad line being as large as the iPhone lines. I do recall that the first iPad was so hard to get for a few months. Seeing how the ones in the stores on launch day will only be wifi only, I wonder how fast they will get cleaned out.

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, the lines for the iPad are nowhere near the lines for the iPhone. You can probably walk in at noon and pick one up without waiting at all.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

At the risk of sounding moralistic...it seems to me one could question dad's priorities. Getting an electronic device is more important than school. I realize we're only talking one day...but I'm questioning the message given to the child.

Yeah...I guess it sounds moralistic. :p

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

You also have to take into account that the iPad 4 is being sold on November 2nd as well. Not everyone got an iPad 3 and skipped it for the 4. So, two new iPad's are launching on that day. The line could be pretty long.

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The guy just wants to have a good day with his kid to buy an iPad Mini.

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yikes, I was kidding. I'm sure he's Dad of the year. Or at least, good for business

:)

20. jabij1 macrumors member

Occasionally, the father/son bonding experience can come at the cost of missing one school day (or half). The profound effect these little things can have on the parent/child relationship is well worth that missed amount of time at school.

21. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, I guess. Also, the reason iPad lines move faster is because they can bypass the carrier setup stuff. You walk in, you point, you pay, you walk out.

22. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

well he is a she, and one of my 3 so tee hee!!

Umm, moralistic? Probably....guess I should tell the school she is having braces put on or something not waiting in line?

Yes, they are sold out online for 2 weeks and she has the patience not unlike her Father of The Year...

Was thinking just take her after school but she will drive me nuts for this thing, and doesn't want Black...

True the 4's are offered the same day. We could do Best Buy but have Mall gift cards to burn...

No problem keeping her entertained will give her a 1 Direction poster to gaze at...

Have to find out when the Mall opens and see if I am dumb enough to go through with this...

Miss a day of school? We are taking her out of school for an 8 Day Cruise in December so this just means more catch up!!

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure standing on line (in line, queued up) at a store qualifies as a profound parent/child bonding experience. Maybe missing a day of school to do something together is defensible, but to give the message that missing school to line up outside a store to spend money on an electronic device still seems to me to be teaching a lesson about which is more important...education or consumerism.

OK, OK...I'm overdoing it! It's not the end of the world. I just had an uncomfortable feeling about it. I'm probably making too much of it.

Just an (somewhat overwrought) observation...:D

24. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Perhaps you should merely tell them the truth, that'd be a great example you set, wouldn't it? If the school doesn't like it, then perhaps they're the ones that need to change, not you? But until you change the school's attitudes about this event, why insist they are wrong and teach your child that lying is the way around this so called, "injustice"?

Think it won't come back to bite you in the arse in the future? Or worse, think it won't bite the rest of us in our collective societal arses when your child grows up finding another case where lying is acceptable? (as if there aren't enough society teaches children where lying is okay)

Just thought you'd appreciate a few more things to ponder<wry grin>, contradicting the "you're the best dad in the world" comments from the other 99% all of which amount to nothing more than supporting your rationalisation.

25. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

its your kid - if you want to pull him out of school - go for it.

Have an enjoyable time with him!