Lines on Screen Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AndrewPistachio, Apr 15, 2013.

1. AndrewPistachio macrumors newbie

Hi! I have a late 2006 black MacBook 2,1 and whenever I boot up after a night of it being off, these lines appear on the screen. I can move the display back and forth and they'll move and some go away but I usually have to do that several times, lightly push one corner of the screen back and pull the other corner of the screen forward to get the to go away, sometimes i have to tap on the bezel around the screen and they'll go away, sometimes pushing down on the display will make then go away, and sometimes its just shear luck. Has anyone had this problem, heard of this problem, and more importantly know how to fix this problem? I'll take a couple of pictures when it happens. I know it's not the video card as the screen shots look normal. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attached Files:

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

It's probably a graphics card issue.

3. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Yep, and the problem is going to get worse and worse until you can't see the screen any longer, sadly enough. Happened to my ex's Penryn MBP.

Another theory (if you're lucky) is that the LCD is either bad and/or loose. Could also be a bad inverter, which (potentially) luckily for you I think the original style Macbooks have separate from the LCD, the newer models have them attached. (at least I am pretty sure they are)

I would take it into an Apple Store and see what they say, but there is a big chance it will be your graphics card, although for some reason my ex's would work completely fine on an external display which seemed to go against the idea of a graphics card issue, since it would still be displayed through that for an external. But her specific model had a graphics card recall, but they wouldn't do anything about it due to the laptop being extremely beat up.. Didn't agree with that at all. (I agree that it was super beat up, but that shouldn't depict their service acceptance when that model has a policy on the issue she was experiencing)

But in any case, Apple should be able to help. if you're lucky, it will be the LCD or the Inverter.

4. AndrewPistachio thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's the graphics card because if it was, the lines would appear on the screen shot as well

5. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I don't know. I had it happen to me and it wouldn't appear on a screen shot, and when I plugged a new LCD into it, it still did the same problem. Only other thing it could really be then would be the actual port that the display connects to I would think.