Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Starting a thread so folks can report whether the Rev C they bought has the infamous lines.

I just received my 2.13 w/SSD from FedEx and it does have the lines. :( They are a little bit lighter than the ones on the Rev B I bought and returned in February. This one is going back as well. Now I'll have to ponder whether to wait for Rev D or switch to a MBP 13"...

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Starting a thread so folks can report whether the Rev C they bought has the infamous lines.

I just received my 2.13 w/SSD from FedEx and it does have the lines. :( They are a little bit lighter than the ones on the Rev B I bought and returned in February. This one is going back as well. Now I'll have to ponder whether to wait for Rev D or switch to a MBP 13"...

Well there we go. What a crock of sh*t and as I suspected/feared. No 'new display' announced said it all - I for one didn't believe they'd silently fix the issue without using a new display.

For curiosity's sake, what screen model is in there - the same 9C9A found in the rev.B SSD?

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
For curiosity's sake, what screen model is in there - the same 9C9A found in the rev.B SSD?

Sorry, I didn't take a look and its now reboxed it in preparation for its journey back to the mothership. Its all very sad, I really like my MBA rev A and its line free screen but would like some more power under the hood.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Sorry, I didn't take a look and its now reboxed it in preparation for its journey back to the mothership. Its all very sad, I really like my MBA rev A and its line free screen but would like some more power under the hood.
Oh come on....just whip it out, boot up and take a quick look. Only take a minute or two, less with the SSD ;)

So I take it you'll be going the 13" MBP route?

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
They are not coming from China this time, Mine will be here tomorrow so they have to be in the states. apple said all orders leave today and i have overnight shipping.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I doubt it.
Maybe he's in Shanghai or HK or SGP?

Bit sad if he's telling fibs now isn't it - anyway what does he get from lying about it? :confused:

Give him the benefit of the doubt - he says he has a new 2.13 SSD and it HAS screen lines. That's quite a damning (if predicted) verdict in context.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Wait. Did the specs on Apple's site say that the MBA is now GLOSSY? I thought that the MBA was the last bastion of non-glossy screen goodness. :confused:

....there truly is no replacement for my beloved 12" Powerbook..... :(:(

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Wait. Did the specs on Apple's site say that the MBA is now GLOSSY? I thought that the MBA was the last bastion of non-glossy screen goodness. :confused:

....there truly is no replacement for my beloved 12" Powerbook..... :(:(

It was always glossy, just not glassy. Although a rev B with the lines sometimes gave the impression of a grain or texture that, when compared to one of the glassy screens, made it SEEM like you were looking at a matte screen.

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
What a disappointment. Perhaps the MBA just isn't the way to go after all.

I agree, if the lines really does bother me, then I will probably go with a 13" MBP. But I'm still planning on a MBA and will return several if I see lines.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Let's not go calling people liars. Yet the nature of these reports from haters who are furious about experiences could incorrectly impact our view. This is a site where people often report incorrect info to mislead some. Rather than calling someone a liar, let's let at least a few days of "reports" or information trickle out to give ourselves a fair assesment/decision of the true nature of the new MBA's display status.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Let's not go calling people liars. Yet the nature of these reports from haters who are furious about experiences could incorrectly impact our view. This is a site where people often report incorrect info to mislead some. Rather than calling someone a liar, let's let at least a few days of "reports" or information trickle out to give ourselves a fair assesment/decision of the true nature of the new MBA's display status.

Scottsdale, do you still plan to try to acquire one today?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Scottsdale, do you still plan to try to acquire one today?

Going to have one at the latest on Friday. Will try calling stores in my metro today. If a store has one, I will report the model number and status. It does concern me when lines are reported yet no model or manufacturer info is included. Raised a red flag, but we will see. I don't want to call anyone a liar, and I don't want one report, whether true or not, influence my opinion of Apple and the new MBA. Will report back in a few hours.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Should clarify that I will buy one today if at one of local Apple Stores. If stores don't have by tomorrow, I will have one overnighted to ensure weekend "play."

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Should clarify that I will buy one today if at one of local Apple Stores. If stores don't have by tomorrow, I will have one overnighted to ensure weekend "play."

Do keep us posted. I'm sure there are many of us anxious to hear if the Rev.B lines made it into Rev.C in the supposed "updated display".

It was always glossy, just not glassy. Although a rev B with the lines sometimes gave the impression of a grain or texture that, when compared to one of the glassy screens, made it SEEM like you were looking at a matte screen.

Thanks for the clarification. Wow. It really did seem like a matte display - well, the display models @ the Apple Store and WorstBuy...

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Thanks for the clarification. Wow. It really did seem like a matte display - well, the display models @ the Apple Store and WorstBuy...

I can confirm Air's screen is much less reflective than glossy displays found in some Asus or Dell laptops, and these are still far from glassy MacBooks Pro. I think it's a very good balance between matte and very glossy, both of which are practically unusable in certain light conditions.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Do keep us posted. I'm sure there are many of us anxious to hear if the Rev.B lines made it into Rev.C in the supposed "updated display".

This isn't a rev C MBA... It's a version 2,2. That means it's the same rev B MBA with a few minor adjustments. Not enough to be a revision. The next revision will hopefully be a rev C and a true version 3,1.

I AM GETTING MY VERSION 2,2 MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU and 128 GB SSD TOMORROW AFTERNOON. I set a personal shopping appointment, and the manager promised to hold one new high end MBA for me. My appointment is at 4:00pm MST (Arizona). I will post over the Internet from within the Apple store as to the status of lines by 4:30pm MST (now same as Pacific Daylight Time). Hopefully there will be more reports of MBA displays being perfect by then, and my report will be further clarification of a perfect MBA display! I did have a perfect display in my v 2,1 MBA 1.86 GHz SSD. But with the late reports of the rev B, I am nervous.

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
This isn't a rev C MBA... It's a version 2,2. That means it's the same rev B MBA with a few minor adjustments. Not enough to be a revision. The next revision will hopefully be a rev C and a true version 3,1.

I AM GETTING MY VERSION 2,2 MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU and 128 GB SSD TOMORROW AFTERNOON. I set a personal shopping appointment, and the manager promised to hold one new high end MBA for me. My appointment is at 4:00pm MST (Arizona). I will post over the Internet from within the Apple store as to the status of lines by 4:30pm MST (now same as Pacific Daylight Time). Hopefully there will be more reports of MBA displays being perfect by then, and my report will be further clarification of a perfect MBA display! I did have a perfect display in my v 2,1 MBA 1.86 GHz SSD. But with the late reports of the rev B, I am nervous.

You are awesome Scottsdale. This is exciting to find out.

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
is it even possible for someone to have one today shipped from china yesterday?

I live in CA and mine shipped from Elk Grove, CA.

Attachments

• IMG_0034a.jpg
    IMG_0034a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0035a.jpg
    IMG_0035a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 147

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Oh come on....just whip it out, boot up and take a quick look. Only take a minute or two, less with the SSD ;)

Oh all right...let's see here:

Manufacturer: 610
Model: 9C90
Manufacture Date: C2486D00

So I take it you'll be going the 13" MBP route?

Now that I've got it out of the box again I'm going to try to use it for a while longer to see if I can ignore the lines. I tried that last time and it was too distracting when reading web pages...my eyes would focus on the lines involuntarily. If that doesn't go well, I'll have to think about it. I may stick with my rev A for a while longer...I'm a big fan of the smaller form factor of the Air, but I may eventually give in for greater power (and screen) of the MBP 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.