Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Why didn't you tell them the truth?
If you didn't find the line on your MBA on the first 5 min, let it go...

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Why didn't you tell them the truth?

Because the :apple: rep there @ 5th ave :apple: is a joke. Told them about lines and they said never heard of or not an issue now, due new displays are in :confused:. . On top of that I got 3 :apple: rep telling me I can upgrade SSD to a larger one through website, they swore by it until i showed them it can't.

If you didn't find the line on your MBA on the first 5 min, let it go...
I stayed there cause I had time to kill and also a lot of eye candy during the summer :D

etaylor3971

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Ditto...

Just to add my observations..

My New MBA v.C is a 9C90 and has no visible lines.

I had a MBA v. A and had it repaired twice via Apple Care (broken fan, loose hinges, video issues resulting in logic board replacements x 2 ).

On my third visit to the Genius Bar 2 days ago (one hinge was loose again and the MBA wouldn't always sleep when I closed the lid), they offered a "product replacement" - gave me the new MBA Rev C - 1.86 ghz :D

I never saw lines on my old MBA or my new one. As with the poster I quoted, my new one is a 9C90 (don't know what the old one was).

My newest MBA came from a San Diego Apple Store :apple:

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I received my replacement 2.13ghz Rev C today. This one has lines as well. It is a 9C90 like my first one. The lines are light and switching to the 2.2 gamma makes them even less noticeable. But its still too distracting to read text on for any length of time. Its going back tomorrow...

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Apple agreed to give me a full refund when I ship this one back. The tech support folks said they found an article in their knowledge base that acknowledges the lines issue and treats it "as designed"--they know its there but they have no plans to address it. I can only guess that they made some tradeoff (to improve battery life, reduce heat, save money or address some other need) figuring most people wouldn't notice or mind the lines. And they are probably right. :p

For my part, I'm hoping they decide to design the Rev D without lines. And lesson learned--next time I'll only buy one after I've first checked the model out in a couple Apple stores and found it to be consistently line free.

macinsomniac

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
As I have reported already, my 2.13 MBA has no visible lines.

I have not had time to put my new MBA through it's paces since I have been so busy this week, but I have noticed that when browsing and scrolling, dark elements on the page seem to flicker as the page scrolls, until it stops scrolling. Otherwise, the screen is crystal clear. Is this a MacBook Air screen issue? Is it present on all MBA screens, only affected screens, or is this common on laptop screens in general? It has been so long since I have used a laptop, it's difficult for me to remember.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
My latest MBA replacement (my fourth machine) doesn't have the lines. It's the 9C8F model. Let's pray I don't have any other issues that cause me to have to roll the dice.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
My latest MBA replacement (my fourth machine) doesn't have the lines. It's the 9C8F model. Let's pray I don't have any other issues that cause me to have to roll the dice.

Rev C? or the one from your signature?

macinsomniac

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
As I have reported already, my 2.13 MBA has no visible lines.

I have not had time to put my new MBA through it's paces since I have been so busy this week, but I have noticed that when browsing and scrolling, dark elements on the page seem to flicker as the page scrolls, until it stops scrolling. Otherwise, the screen is crystal clear. Is this a MacBook Air screen issue? Is it present on all MBA screens, only affected screens, or is this common on laptop screens in general? It has been so long since I have used a laptop, it's difficult for me to remember.

(Quoting myself here for context)

I am noticing that this issue is fatiguing my eyes to an extent that is intolerable to work with for an extended period of time. As a result, I did some research and discovered the issue of "screen tearing" (first found on MacRumors here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/594493/ - noted at bottom of page). Continuing to search, I landed on this page on Apple Discussions: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8939618

These comments seem to closely describe the issue that I am experiencing on an otherwise crystal-clear display (with no lines). I have found that it is by far most pronounced when using the two-finger trackpad gesture (not as prevalent when scrolling with mouse trackwheel. It results in an overall choppiness, font blurring / color-shifting (lighter), and sometimes a wave-like effect three quarters from the top of the screen.

Someone commented that this screen tearing is common with intel chips, and another that it could be a gpu driver issue. Anyone aware of this and/or experiencing it?

Note: Let me know if it's worth moving this to it's own thread. Thanks!

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Sounds more like a hardware (or firmware) as I can see (if I look very close) the lines on boot up Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.