Lining up at AT&T at 4AM good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, i lined up at this AT&T store for the 3G (when the servers went nuts and caused an even longer wait). I was like 16-17th in that line, and they ran out of 16GB by that time and i got 8GB. Now i need to get a 32 GB and my friend i'm lining up with is getting 16. That time i went to the store at 7 i think and it opened at 9 or something, this time though i'm planning on being there by 4AM (store opens at 7). Any word on inventory at AT&T (didn't pre order), and is that early enough to guarantee me an iPhone?

Thanks guys :)

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

3. agoat macrumors regular

Do they allow folding chair or have to stand?

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Go to apple store at 4am and you have much better chance.

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

the first iphone had people lined up at AT&T stores overnight. I suspect somewhat similar demand. Maybe more.

4am could be a bit late given limited quantities stores might have.

6. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm i'm not sure what to do, i actually have to go to AT&T cuz they screwed up my contract and crap but i'm going with 2 friends and theres 2 AT&T stores by us, we were gonna split at 3:30-4ish and check both, and whichever had the least amount of people we'd go there. but argh i'm thinking if i should risk 4 or not.

EDIT: I should add i'm in a suburban town like 40 minutes out from Detroit, if that gives perspective at all as to how many people are around lol

7. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

why wouldn't they? AT&T could care less if you stand or sit. either way they will get their money when u come through their doors.

8. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

At my local AT&T during the 3G launch, there were at least 50 people in line by 10pm the night before. It was nuts. You're mileage will vary, but I'd say the earlier you get there the better. Good luck. :apple:

9. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I guarantee there will be people lined up the night before where I live. Only have best buy, and att store. I'm hearing there is going to be people there lunchtime Wednesday and staying the whole night at the ATT store.

10. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

**** you guys are scaring me lol i want my phone bad.

for the 3G over here only like 2-3 people were out at 11PM (we drove over and checked lol) i guess we'll check the night before as well and double check but man, if they run out i'm gonna be pissed.

Basically what happened was i switched away from AT&T, and on the 6th i switched back (already had the iPhone so just had to sign up for service again, no contract since i didn't buy a phone) and it showed that i AM on contract, so it wouldn't let me pre order. By tomorrow it should be in the whole system that i'm not on contract again so now if i don't get my phone after visiting AT&T 5 times and having Apple give me errors, i'm gonna be pissssed lol

11. SeanATX macrumors newbie

For the first iPhone I got there 3 hours before (@AT&T) and I was 18th in line and had to get the 8gb... but that was in Utah :eek: LOL For the 3G i got there at 5AM (@AT&T) and was FIRST in line and nobody showed up for another 30-45 mins. The 3GS I was out of the country and had to get @ Apple like 2 weeks after launch. I'm guessing I'll get there @ 1-2ish @ AT&T (5-6 hours before launch) since I'm sure more ppl will be wanting this one. :D

12. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

At my ATT store, I got there at 5am for the 2g launch.. I was 1st in line, others came a lot later, then the line got huge 1 hour - 30 min before launch time. The 3g was not bad either. The 3GS, people started coming in like an hour and 30 min before. Im guessing if you get to my store between 3 and 4 you should be good.

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I plan to get off work around 3:00AM E/T on the morning of the 24th. There is a very popular ATT store that is right around the corner. It is normally a pretty good indicatior of what the lines at other stores will look like. It's in midtown Atlanta (Atlantic Station). I plan to take some pictures of the crowd and post them on MR.

14. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I think it just depends on where you live. I'm still trying to decide what time to go too. Maybe 3-4am

15. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Anyone know if AT&T will have a 1 phone per person limit? Apple stores are allowing 2 per person and I wanted to get two, one for my wife and one for me but we both can't go (someone must stay with the kids)

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

How badly does someone need a phone that they are willing to waste several hours of their life standing in line?

17. Loki666 macrumors member

I couldn't get it shipped so i have to get in line. With that said, i have an apple reservation and will get there between 4-5

18. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Some of us enjoy the experience. Hell, I have a reservation but I'm still showing up at 5am. It's just fun for me.

19. Wailord macrumors 6502

It's a very fun experience. :)

20. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

Did anyone here have a reservation for the 3GS? Did the Apple store have separate lines for reservations?
    I'd like to go early to get it done and would like to be there when doors open, but I've got to be out by 7:45.

21. BConvery macrumors regular

I think it would suck...I'd rather be sleeping.

22. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I didn't get my 3GS on launch day, so I can't say. However, more recently was the iPad launch and there were two separate lines for that. Apple will sell many more iPhones on launch than they did iPads, so you can pretty much guarantee they will have two lines again.

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I was thinking of cruising by my local apple store wednesday night just to see how bad it is. I ordered online, but I think it might be interesting to see what the line is looking like late Wednesday/Early Thursday.

24. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would camp out in front of an Apple store, but not an AT&T store. Unfortunately there isn't an Apple store nearby, so I won't be camping out at all.

25. Singin Hobo macrumors regular