Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I really love the Link Bracelet but wondering if it is a bit too masculine for a petite woman (38mm takes up just about all of the width of my wrist). Options are so limited for the 38mm (modern buckle has not ever been available separately). Thoughts?
BTW, any other ladies find it offensive when men refer to their wives as "the wife"...or am I overly sensitive?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't think it's too manly. It's a plain design looks unisex to me.

On the other side, curious to why you take offense to "the wife."

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I don't think it's too manly. It's a plain design looks unisex to me.

On the other side, curious to why you take offense to "the wife."

Makes her sound like an object. Also without adding "my" to wife, it sounds like she does not mean much to the guy. It sounds like a distance is being created.

Reactions: flur

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Makes her sound like an object. Also without adding "my" to wife, it sounds like she does not mean much to the guy. It sounds like a distance is being created.

Oh, ok. I see where you are coming from, but without looking at the overall statement and context I don't think one can come to that conclusion.

"My" may already be suggested or expected in my opinion so they can be used interchangeably in situations. I just put "the kids" to bed.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I really love the Link Bracelet but wondering if it is a bit too masculine for a petite woman (38mm takes up just about all of the width of my wrist). Options are so limited for the 38mm (modern buckle has not ever been available separately). Thoughts?
BTW, any other ladies find it offensive when men refer to their wives as "the wife"...or am I overly sensitive?

I don't think it's too masculine, so give it a try.

That being said, it's your watch, wear what makes you happy.

Many lady's Rolexes and Omegas have metal link bands...

RunningOne

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
MN

If you decide to try the link bracelet please post pictures. My wife is wondering the same thing, and we don't have an Apple store nearby to do a try on. Thanks

*GeekChic

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Hope not, but I really don't care if it looks masculine...I love my heavy Fossil and Michael Kors metal link bands and have a mesh and link band for the Watch on the way. Just go with what you like!

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
Hope not. I have really small wrists, 135mm, and my link bracelet arrives tomorrow. If UPS can get their act together. They already left it in Kentucky once over the weekend. Says it's back on track for tomorrow, we'll see.

Almost all of my watches have link bracelets, and I love them. This one will definitely be the widest of them.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ

It's a term of affection and not meant to be demeaning. If anything a husband is referring to "the wife" as "the boss". I have to ask "the wife"...

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
My link bracelet arrived. I took out all 8 removable links and it fits perfectly. I don't find it to be "too" masculine at all, but I think that will ultimately be up to the individual. I'm really loving it, so much more than the sports bands. I'm sure I'll switch it out on occasion, but I'm guessing not as much as I switched between the different color sports bands when that's all I had. This is just so... classic watch... now.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
It looks wonderful on you!

Thank you! I can't stop admiring it. lol

It really just fades away a lot more than the sports bands do. Don't get me wrong, I do like the different colors and the sports bands themselves are pretty comfortable, but I had the same fear you did about it maybe being too masculine. This is definitely NOT my fathers watch. Would I wear it with a cocktail dress? No, definitely not. I would wear it to work with skirts though. I'm hoping a modern buckle (if they ever make them available to purchase separately) might do the trick for a formal occasion. If not, well I guess I'll just have to go without a watch, or fall back on one of my dressy dumb watches.

Wsidewarrior07

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
My link bracelet arrived. I took out all 8 removable links and it fits perfectly. I don't find it to be "too" masculine at all, but I think that will ultimately be up to the individual.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. It looks just fine, is it big? Sure. But I've got huge wrists and it still looks big on me. It's just a big watch by nature. On another note, you've got to wonder what's the holdup with the Modern Buckle? Is it so Modern they don't know how to produce it yet? :D:D

By the way, can't blame me for asking... Would you be willing to sell any of your extra links? Maybe just one or two? :cool:

sdallnct2

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
No, I don't think so. I had a female friend introduce me to Michael Kors (made by Fossil) watches. She had quite a collection and almost all had link type bands. In fact most every MK watch she had was bigger and bulkier than AW + the link band.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Looks great on a dude!
For a woman, I honestly thought it wouldn't look right.
Thanks for posting the Picts, that band look very nice for/on a woman.

----------

My link bracelet arrived. I took out all 8 removable links and it fits perfectly. I don't find it to be "too" masculine at all, but I think that will ultimately be up to the individual. I'm really loving it, so much more than the sports bands. I'm sure I'll switch it out on occasion, but I'm guessing not as much as I switched between the different color sports bands when that's all I had. This is just so... classic watch... now.

[url=http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/kmustack/IMG_1003_zps5kujfmuc.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/kmustack/IMG_1001_zpsofjv6gh8.jpg]Image[/URL]

Now to upgrade that ring finger to platinum :)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't think any of the bands can look too manly just because of the the way they attach. They're very intentionally unisex.
That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Click adapter.
To me, a watch without lugs just doesn't look like a man's watch.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
Looks great on a dude!
For a woman, I honestly thought it wouldn't look right.
Thanks for posting the Picts, that band look very nice for/on a woman.

----------

Now to upgrade that ring finger to platinum :)

This ring has been on this finger for over 20 years. I wouldn't switch it to platinum for all the money in the world. It's not even my real engagement or wedding band ring, but it means more to me than anything. Besides, I don't mind mixed metals. ;)

Reactions: PirateP

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
I don't think any of the bands can look too manly just because of the the way they attach. They're very intentionally unisex.
That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Click adapter.
To me, a watch without lugs just doesn't look like a man's watch.

I do agree that Apple did more than a solid job at making all the band options suitable for both men and women. As far as the Link Bracelet goes, while it is more so designed after a men's style watch band, there's just something about it that doesn't overtly make it for men, in my opinion of course. And while the Modern Buckle's design appears to be the most influenced by women's watch fashion (IMO), I think it too works for men.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
This ring has been on this finger for over 20 years. I wouldn't switch it to platinum for all the money in the world. It's not even my real engagement or wedding band ring, but it means more to me than anything. Besides, I don't mind mixed metals. ;)

I was just kidding.
I had no intention to reset my wife's diamond.
Due to an unfortunate accident the setting was damaged. The jeweler was showing me settings and the platinum was very nice.
My OCD kicked in and replaced the band as well.

I was thinking about trading the her settings and diamond in for a gold apple watch with the gold link band. For some reason I don't think she will go for it.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
depending on the woman, the link bracelet could work very well!

i think men who refer to their wives as "the wife" are objectifying them - like "the car", "the TV", etc. as if a wife is something he just has, and anyone can have.

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
All up-close pictures of just the watch and wrist make it look clunkier than it is. here is Beyonce wearing the link bracelet in yellow gold

Attachments

• Unknown-11-1429633778.jpeg
    Unknown-11-1429633778.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 447

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong

Looks great!!!

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007

WOW, looks GREAT on your wrist, very classy ! Good choice.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

Best to be sparing in the offence you take online. It's a common term of affection in my part of the world. The internet is a melting pot and things can have different meanings in different contexts and cultures.

Reactions: PirateP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.