Link bracelet WAY too light

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Andy0568, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Andy0568 macrumors regular

Arg!!! The link bracelet feels WAY too light. It feels like a Fossil watch I got from Macy's when I was 13. It looks beautiful but it has such a tinny feel. For a thousand bucks I want some heft in my bracelet!

Really wish I hadn't canceled my 42mm space gray sport, but I don't want to lose my May 14th shipping date for the SS

2. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Don't know really- I have a Tissot T-Touch expert in steel with a link bracelet... as a weight, in survival situation you could dispatch reasonable sized game with it. You get used to that weight but currently I'm wearing a HUGE Casio ProTrek with a Titanium case and strap and it's light as a feather - once you get used to it it really makes no difference.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It felt cheap to me too in person.

Actually, all the bands felt cheaper than I had imagined. Especially the milanese loop.

4. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I thought it was a bit light as well. I'm glad I did not end up ordering this but would say that the design and engineering are excellent. Many people will be very happy with it I'm sure.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you now want the lightest Apple Watch out there (Space Gray Sport) because the link bracelet is too light for you?

I know what you're saying, but the link bracelet is thin by design (taken after Marc Newson's Ikepod Megapod). Thin = less weight. Unfortunately, it's the heaviest Apple band you can get and some people are actually of the opinion that it's heavy so I guess it depends on perspective.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. I thought it was a bit heavy myself, but I've always preferred leather and mesh bands. I did order the link along with the classic and Milanese.

7. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

just want to make sure you guys know that the link bracelet can be adjusted several different ways to fit your arm. Fine and coarse adjustments if I'm not mistaken. Adjusting takes seconds and no tools. So ummm yeah I don't think it is tight...or loose...

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Ha. Who said anything about tight? He said...it does not weigh enough.

9. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

There is no fine adjustment.

You can remove some links from the bracelet easily, with no tools. On the 38mm bracelet, you can remove up to 8 links. I think you can remove up to 10 links on the 42mm bracelet, but that's based on a glance and not a careful count. All the removable links are the same size.

10. Glene, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Glene macrumors 6502

gotta agree - had one on order until I tried it on yesterday...just not $449 worth...looks too much like the stretchable speidel's I grew up with....Look for some killer bracelets in the next 6 months from others...."fossil-ish" is so true....

11. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I agree with the OP, i would highly recommend watch enthusiasts check the band out instore before ordering. I thought it was going to be a heavier traditional stainless steel but it is incredibly light and very fossil-ish. TBH I bought the SS with Sport Band, figured I could validate the watch and decide on a band later. Sure it might cost me a few extra dollars, but I would have wanted a sport band anyways.

12. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Got to agree, I have rather egg shaped profile on my wrists and all the link bracelets that I own are much shorter on the top of the wrists than the bottom.

If not correctly balanced it throws the watch off to the side, maybe not on immediate try-on but, very soon after wearing.

A traditional link bracelet has big links that can be removed on either side and some micro adjustment (typically about 2mm on each increment) in the bracelet.

Not sure what the Apple link bracelet offers here..?

13. Andy0568, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Andy0568 thread starter macrumors regular

I would have rather saved the $600.

There's a weird dichotomy with the Apple watch. Generally we all want thin, light, tech items. But with watches, heavier cases and bracelets are usually perceived (correctly or not) as being higher quality. The Apple watch link bracelet is beautifully designed and engineered, but for my taste in jewelry, if I spend $1000 I want it to feel more substantial. All IMHO

On a more positive note, the Apple watch try-on experience was AWESOME at my store in Sacramento, so it's definitely worth trying on all the models if you're unsure about your purchase.

14. BSben macrumors 6502a

I am not quite sure what you all mean, are you saying it is hollow, or should they add lead to weigh it up? I really don't understand what you mean.

15. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

my wife and I went and were both shocked at how it felt. I know it isn't cheap, but it felt cheap. Love how it looks, but not how it feels.

16. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Since when did "light" equal "cheap" with watches and watch bands?

I thought it was going to feel heavier, but that doesn't make it cheap.

17. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

If it were heavier there would be a thread about how ridiculously heavy it is. I think the weight is great especially for daily wear! Who needs the extra bulk anyways? It's not like I'm throwing the thing around. They engineered it to take the weight out is my impression!

18. JayLenochiniMac, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, the link bracelet is heavier than any of the $10,000-17,000 Edition models so spending 10-17 times more doesn't get you more weight. So much for that :)

19. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Definitely light and thin.

I got the impression right away that corners had been cut to reduce the amount of material on the links. Maybe I'm used to the Tag links that give a much higher quality feel. I'm sure the Swiss watch makers are having a good laugh at that bracelet. Not much competition for them to worry about.

I am going with the leather loop and sport band combo, leather loop is the best band imo.

20. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

As long as it's as durable as a Swiss made heavy bracelet, light weight is welcomed.

21. Andy0568 thread starter macrumors regular

Those are leather bands, though.

22. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Weight seems a silly thing to complain about. It's something you wear, you don't want anything dragging you down. What's next, concrete boots?

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True. I'm only speaking in the strictest sense of more $$$ = heavier.

24. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

It's not just the weight... I recommend you go try on a Tag Heuer Carrera link bracelet so you can see what all these people are complaining about, heck even Tag formula 1 links are higher quality than the Apple Links

25. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Everyone has said it looks high quality, it's just light. So the point still stands.

You also get what you pay for. It costs just under £400, most link bands for reputable watches cost upwards of £800.