Linking to "patches" on the front page?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by *LTD*, Nov 20, 2009.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Mod Note: These posts where moved from this thread and are referring to the story contained there.

So . . . we're going to discuss piracy and warez now?

2. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

This could have simply been reported without any reference at all to "hackintoshes" or "create their own netbook Macs."

As it stands, it's now a discussion about piracy.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

So telling people that support has been re-enabled for a hack whose "purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods" and pointing them to the website where they can be instructed on how to deploy this "workaround" is what?

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Hit the report post button and see what happens! [​IMG]

4. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Not much else you can do.

5. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

someone call the frick'n wambulance.

jeeeez...

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Would be interesting to see what would happen but you're right. :)

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Thank you! This is the most ridiculous header to put on front page news. Gimme a break, are we now accepting piracy and hacking of software as "acceptable"? What's next, serial keys posted on MR's front page news? Why don't these hackintosh people let this go, Apple's OS wasn't made for their computer of choice so move on and stick with Windows.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

So how does freedom of speech come into all this? Maybe newspapers should stop reporting on crimes and murders? I mean how dare they report on how a crime was committed, is that not like telling you how to do it. There is a difference between reporting news and carrying out the crime.

9. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

The MR article does much more than simply post news about the subject. I'll repost:

This could have simply been reported without any reference at all to "hackintoshes" or "create their own netbook Macs."

As it stands, it's now a discussion about piracy.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

So telling people that support has been re-enabled for a hack whose "purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods" and pointing them to the website where they can be instructed on how to deploy this "workaround" is what?

The "workaround" link in the article goes directly to insanelymac.com.

10. Povilas macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Double standarts.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I call it information and news. No one is forcing commit the act. I do not even have an atom processor, I opened the link and read it. People who want to learn how to build a hackintosh are not going to be coming to macrumours. They will go to these sites directly.

I am sure a number of you will get this link removed soon, I really think its an non event, and just news.

One thing that everyone is overlooking is that this is not piracy, you go out, but a copy of OS X and install it.

12. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

No, the purpose of the hack is not to “break or bypass software licensing methods”. The purpose of the hack is to create a kernel that can work on an Intel Atom processor. Or are people not allowed to modify their kernel now, too? The fact that no Apple branded computer uses an Atom is besides the point. This is merely kernel modification, and kernel modification is completely legal.

But really, you’re just being pedantic.

13. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

Who cares?!? Why don't you report the bot that posted it? Obviously the mods and arn don't care and I'm sure they are pretty well of the forum rules....:rolleyes: too many people here trying to "police" a site that they only visit.

14. TennisandMusic

Do you even know what piracy and warez are?

15. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

.. . .. ..

See above, and see the relevant section in MR's forum rules.

16. Povilas macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Right :D. Every single Hacintosh owner has actually bought a legal retail version of OS X? No one is forcing? So how is this different from providing google link where first link is k'ed app download? No one is forcing a lot of things, but that's not the point.

17. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

This arguably does the same thing: http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

Is that “piracy” and “warez” too?

By your logic, discussing VCRs is against forum rules since I can use one to tape movies off TV.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

About as likely as every single mac user having purchased their copy of SL they are running. Do not confuse piracy with hacking.

Geez let me think really really hard about this one, what is the difference between clicking through to a forum and reading about a hack, while not owning an Atom processor and having no intention of running a hackintosh and clicking on a link that downloads an illegal copy of software that you did not pay for???? Care to have a think about it?

19. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Don't dodge the issue with unrelated analogies. "Argubaly" and VCRs don't count in any way, shape, or form.

We're talking about software here and specifically, the software license agreement, and how MR's article violates its own forum rules, which it clearly does.

Again:

". . . obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation."

Which means, you are using OS X in such a way that it violates its license. And MR is pointing you to the site showing you how to do it, which is expressly forbidden in MR's forum rules.

Here is the section in full:

"Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help."

20. jciapara macrumors regular

Jeez! You give yourself a break. You act like you own Apple and this really affects you. Personally I wouldn't hackintosh a PC to use OS X, I prefer to run it in a Mac. But to each his own.

21. cumanzor macrumors 6502

cumanzor

Ok LTD, how exactly does this affect you? Do you think that a handful of hackintosh users are going to bring Apple sales down in any way? They won't. Just let this go, this is nothing more than news on a topic many people are interested in.

22. Bafflefish macrumors 6502

23. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Affecting me or not affecting me isn't the point. Nor am I concerned about Apple's sales. I'm concerned about the integrity of MR as it relates to its own rules.

24. BigJimmyC macrumors regular

+1. LTD, it's time to get over this. The site isn't endorsing hackintoshes, it's merely discussing them. Did you complain when macrumors posted information about PsyStar? Because by telling us that they existed, it provided the opportunity for us to go buy one of their products, and violate the EULA. This site is dedicated to reporting on apple-related news, and this is in fact apple-related news. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm aware that you keep referencing a bunch of rules as to why they shouldn't post this, but why do you care so much? You sound like a bureaucrat who wants rules to be followed without question, and without regard to their original intent or efficacy. Nobody visits macrumors to learn how to make hackintoshes. If you don't like what they post on this site, go to another site and stop complaining here.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I like the way your are hiding behind the licensing, the MR rules are in place to stop piracy. The techniques you describe about are to stop people getting free/pirated software may be via keys or cracks.

I wonder how many more times your going to repost em..... at least you have not mentioned record Apple sales in a recession yet... yet..