Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Linksys today announced the launch of a new WiFi 6 router, adding the Max-Stream AX1800 Mesh WiFi 6 Router (MR7350) to its router lineup.

linksysrouterwifi6.jpg

Priced at $149.99, the Max-Stream AX1800 router is Linksys' most affordable WiFi 6 option. WiFi 6, otherwise known as 802.11ax, is the newest generation of WiFi, offering faster speeds and better coverage for homes with many connected devices.

Many smartphone manufacturers have been rolling out WiFi 6 support, though it's still in the early stages of adoption. The iPhone SE, the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPad Pro all support WiFi 6.

The Max-Stream AX1800 Mesh WiFi 6 Router offers speeds of up to 1.8 Gb/s and coverage of up to 1,700 square feet for connectivity across the home. It is compatible with the entire Linksys Velop line, and can be used in addition to any Linksys mesh product to amplify WiFi coverage, either as a primary router or secondary node.

Linksys also announced the availability of the more expensive $400 Max-Stream Dual-Band Mesh WiFi 6 Router (MR9600) that was announced earlier this year. The MR9600 offers speeds up to 6Gb/s and up to 3,000 square feet of coverage.

Both of the new routers can be purchased from the Linksys website starting today.

Article Link: Linksys Launches Affordable Max-Stream AX1800 Mesh WiFi 6 Router

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
I wish Apple still made Airport routers. I've had Linksys, Sitecom, TP-Link, and Asus routers, but none of them are as stable as the latest Airport Extreme. The coverage is not great by 2020 standards, but it's incredibly stable and super-easy to configure. Sooner or later, I need to replace it, but since Apple doesn't seem to care about WiFi 6 in their MacBook line-up, I couldn’t care less.

Last edited:

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Give
I wish Apple still made Airport routers. I've had Linksys, Sitecom, TP-Link, and Asus routers, but none of them are as stable as the latest Airport Extreme. The coverage is not great by 2020 standards, but it's incredibly stable and super-easy to configure. Sooner or later, I need to replace it, but since Apple doesn't seem to care about WiFi 6 in their MacBook line-up, I could care less.
I too mourn the loss of the Airport Routers. Give the Ubiquiti products a try. They take some configuration, but then just work.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I am interested in buying this. I have an AirPort Extreme and Airport Express. Could I use them with this router?? Been looking for something that will work with Express and Extreme.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I wish Apple still made Airport routers. I've had Linksys, Sitecom, TP-Link, and Asus routers, but none of them are as stable as the latest Airport Extreme. The coverage is not great by 2020 standards, but it's incredibly stable and super-easy to configure. Sooner or later, I need to replace it, but since Apple doesn't seem to care about WiFi 6 in their MacBook line-up, I could care less.

I feel the same way about Apple's decision, and the irony is incredible. Tim Cook and his motley-crew have talked about a wireless future, and yet they gave up on the one product that stood to champion their initiative. Furthermore, it was one of the standout products that Apple got right. I'm still using mine as I type this, and for the same reasons that you mentioned.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Pretty sure I’m going to wait for WiFi 6e (6Ghz) integration before upgrading from WiFi 5. I know it won’t be of much use to start, but future-proofing is how I like to roll. With 20+ devices fighting against the neighbors I’ll welcome the new protocol and eventually have a leg up on everyone else.
What’s the advantage for you? As far as I can tell 6e will be great for single rooms so presumably things like class rooms or cafes but less good for homes as it doesn’t penetrate walls too well? Or is there something I’m missing?

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
What’s the advantage for you? As far as I can tell 6e will be great for single rooms so presumably things like class rooms or cafes but less good for homes as it doesn’t penetrate walls too well? Or is there something I’m missing?

It's great for mesh networks and great for people who live in apartments that have to compete against the billion other WiFi devices. The slightly shorter range really is more of a feature than a curse.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Pretty sure I’m going to wait for WiFi 6e (6Ghz) integration before upgrading from WiFi 5. I know it won’t be of much use to start, but future-proofing is how I like to roll. With 20+ devices fighting against the neighbors I’ll welcome the new protocol and eventually have a leg up on everyone else.
Thank you, I hadn’t even heard about WiFi 6e until now. It sounds like it will probably be worth the wait (as long as my current airport ac router still works.)

Reactions: kinless

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011

The increase from 5GHz to 6GHz doesn’t actually make a lot of difference when penetrating walls. What’s important is that with 6e you get 9 channels of 160MHz width (2 in 5GHz + 7 in 6GHz) compared to just 2 channels in 5GHz. If you live in a congested area that would be a huge difference.

Reactions: Icaras and kinless

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Seems like its often good to wait a year or two after a new standard comes out so the mfrs can work out the bugs in the 1st generation chips / software and get the power consumption down some.

There's a whole lotta holes in the top of this router - most likely to dissipate heat (which means power consumption). JMHO

Reactions: insomniac86

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I feel the same way about Apple's decision, and the irony is incredible. Tim Cook and his motley-crew have talked about a wireless future, and yet they gave up on the one product that stood to champion their initiative. Furthermore, it was one of the standout products that Apple got right. I'm still using mine as I type this, and for the same reasons that you mentioned.
Tim Cook scrapped the AirPort line for the same reason Steve Jobs scrapped Apple's line of printers. They were a commodity product in a saturated market where they couldn't offer a unique enough experience, and they didn't sell enough of them to justify further development.

thecombatwombat

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004

Get an Amplifi Alien.

I was in the same spot, but now I'm glad they stopped. I wanted wifi 6 and was finally going to turn off my Airport Extreme. After a brief disaster with Netgear, I got an Alien. Now I've been stuck working from home for several months and using it all day every day, best electronics money I've ever spent.

Setup is even smoother than the Airport, and you can do it from more than just Apple devices.

Reactions: peg27

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
I wouldn’t use another linksys router if it were given to me. Other than the malware infested firmware they’ve had in the past, and overall lack of security, both commercial models I bought, burned up. Literally. The tops of both cases, which were plastic, even in the commercial models, turned black from the dark blue they were, and both melted, and charred.

that was it for me.

Reactions: Huck and vjl323

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
With all the ISPs "offering" the router I wonder how much do these stuff sells nowadays...

Do ISPs in the USA also provide everything?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Tim Cook scrapped the AirPort line for the same reason Steve Jobs scrapped Apple's line of printers. They were a commodity product in a saturated market where they couldn't offer a unique enough experience, and they didn't sell enough of them to justify further development.

That's it exactly, along with commodity displays - the XDR not being one.

Today, if Apple released a great wifi router with unique features it would probably need to be priced starting at $499. Imagine the moan-n-whine fest that would foster on this forum.

I switched to Ubiquiti routers/APs/switches a couple years ago. They're rock solid with outstanding performance.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004

My thoughts and situation as well. Are there any published timelines from any companies on 6e router availability?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.