Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Linksys today announced that its new Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Mesh System is available for purchase, adding to its lineup of WiFi 6 router products.

linksysvelop.jpg

The Velop AX4200 is Linksys' new flagship WiFi mesh system, designed to provide the latest WiFi 6 connectivity at an affordable price. The AX4200 is powered by the Qualcomm Networking Pro 800 platform, featuring eight streams of tri-band WiFi 6 connectivity and a 64-bit 1.4GHz ARM processor powering dynamic data processing and management.

The new Velop mesh system covers 2,700 square feet per node and offers gigabit WiFi speeds. Each node can manage the demands of more than 40 devices, and is equipped with four gigabit ethernet ports. The system is scalable and compatible with other Linksys mesh nodes and routers, so consumers can expand as their needs grow.

According to Linksys, the Velop AX4200 is ideal in households that are working and learning from home, providing enough wireless bandwidth for multiple smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, and more.

The Linksys Velop AX4200 Mesh System with one node is available for $250, while the AX4200 with three nodes is available for $500. Purchases can be made from the Linksys website starting today.

Article Link: Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Mesh System Now Available

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
These support homekit, correct? I'm in the market for a wifi 6 mesh system and am trying to decide between something like this and eero. I've always owned linksys routers. Eero is definitely on the pricier side.

I wish these linksys came in a 2 pack.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
These support homekit, correct? I'm in the market for a wifi 6 mesh system and am trying to decide between something like this and eero. I've always owned linksys routers. Eero is definitely on the pricier side.
Linksys was my preferred router hardware, but I I installed an Amplifi mesh network ~ 2 years ago and it's been great ...

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I've been tracking Wifi 6 routers for some time now. Waiting for them to come down to a decent price. This MIGHT do it.

Reactions: minik

supun

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
No, it doesn't support Homekit. They say it will be coming in a future update.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
For anyone who's into networking. Have all router vendors settled on one Wifi 6 standard yet? Last time I checked the consensus was to hold off until we would see one common industry standard.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
I just got this notification in an email. I have the linksys WiFi 6 AX5300 system that‘s priced at $699 (got it for $499 during a promotion). I’ve tried to find the differences between the two as the new ones are $499 for 3 nodes. There must be more features on the AX5300 otherwise if this is their flag ship Wi-Fi 6 system then the prices seem off.

iMatt.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Cupertino
Interesting. Ive been researching mesh home networking this week and was sold on the AmpliFi HD but might have to look into this now...

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
For anyone who's into networking. Have all router vendors settled on one Wifi 6 standard yet? Last time I checked the consensus was to hold off until we would see one common industry standard.
Wifi 6E should be the real deal and I'd like to get a router that supports both it and HomeKit. Still rocking an AirPort Extreme atm and I'm in no hurry to replace it - nonetheless it's quite disappointing to read that HK support for every shiny new router (like this latest one) is always coming "at a later date."

Aleks65

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Canada
Ah... I've heard that phrase enough times to know better. Bought my simplisafe on the "promise" of homekit.
Don't believe what Linksys says... they've been talking about HomeKit support for the AC6600 for nearly a year now. In early October they actually release an update to the App that says HomeKit support is here! However nearly a month later, it turns out you need a firmware upgrade but that firmware upgrade isn't available yet. Support said by the end of October...

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010

Not being a smart a@@. How do you connect a wifi system to HomeKit? You can control connecting devices? Or am I over thinking this? I have been wanting to set something up at my apartment with the lights and tv. I would like to keep the connections 5ghz..

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
The standards are set. It's up to the manufacturers to implement them. You have to be careful because even within some companies they have multiple WiFi 6 generation models. The early stuff might be missing some features and not officially certified.

I just bought a Ruckus R750 to test in my house. That is WiFi 6 certified but the previous R730 is an early 802.11ax draft and is not certified. It is missing some key WiFi 6 functionality.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015

These tri-band velop routers do, yeah. It’s coming as a firmware update soon. The iOS app has mentioned it the past two updates, but customer support says it’s still rolling out.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Not being a smart a@@. How do you connect a wifi system to HomeKit? You can control connecting devices? Or am I over thinking this? I have been wanting to set something up at my apartment with the lights and tv. I would like to keep the connections 5ghz..
Most smart things don’t require 5ghz. Especially lights and things. They’d benefit from the longer range of 2.4ghz. But the router becoming HomeKit basically secures the iot smart devices so that outside sources can’t hack into them. As easily. Plus you can control it through the home app

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA

I wish these linksys came in a 2 pack
Spec-wise, these seem on par with the Eero 6 pro which is actually cheaper for 1 ($229) but more expensive for 3 ($599). Unfortunately, I need 2 as well and neither system comes discounted for 2 units.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Go for the new eero Pro 6 system. You won't regret it. Having used both eero and Velop, I can say that the Velop systems work well most of the time, but the app interface is horrendous and I've experienced nodes randomly disconnecting at least a couple of times a month, requiring a restart of the entire Velop network. I switched to the current-gen eero Pro over the summer and it has been rock solid; haven't had to restart the network at all. The app interface is also MUCH nicer and more responsive.

eero is well worth the extra ~$100 in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.