Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supershuttle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Front Row being on Lion thanks to whoever did that, I forgot his name. It got me thinking about PowerPC-support on Lion 10.7. Is there any way that PowerPC-support can be on 10.7 Lion? I know Apple doesn't support it, but maybe someone can create an application or some kind of code that adds PowerPC-support to Lion 10.7. I think it would help a lot of people, whoever would make it can make lots a money off of it. I would definitely support the developer and buy it no matter how much the cost. Oh and your favorite applications that don't work on Lion 10.7, you can mention them if you want. I can maybe find alternatives. I already know about Quickens and some Adobe applications, Quickens supposedly is working on a fix for Lion 10.7 support.

Supershuttle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Okay, so you want PPC support in Lion, not that ability to install Lion on a PPC?

How long should Apple keep supporting PPC? 5 more years, ten? Lion is a move to the future.

Okay, but I still would like to be able to install and run Lion on a PPC machine instead of buying a new mac.

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
Because Apple shouldn't have removed it.

Nothing was 'removed' per say. Lion is built for 64bit intel architecture. It wasn't designed to run on PPC. Making a build that way would un-optimize it, and why do that when they are competing with Win7?

I thought we got over the 'I want the latest version of OS X on my PPC" when Snow Leopard was released.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Okay, but I still would like to be able to install and run Lion on a PPC machine instead of buying a new mac.

Well, I guess I was wrong - you want to run Lion on PPC, not the other way around - i.e. running a PPC app under Lion on Intel platform? If that's the case, the train ledt the station with Snow Leopard, 10.6. The last PPC OS-X was 10.5, Leopard.

The only thing you can do is stick with Leopard on PPC.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008

I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but PPC have access to two of the greatest OS's ever, Tiger and the Leopard. Leopard is an exceptional OS and Lion didn't really outdate it. Lion is built on different architecture and is a step toward OS XI or whatever it will be called. You're PPC might last you ten more years, but it doesn't have the specs to keep up.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
For the record, if you absolutely can't live without a PPC app you can virtualise Snow Leopard or Leopard and use it in a VM. There's also hacks to allow you to use a non-server disk too.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Why would you even want to try and run Lion on a PPC?

Why do you even browse or post on the PowerPC forum if you don't get why people use them and/or PPC apps?

Why would you think what you find puzzling isn't crystal clear to everyone else? Apparently you're the only one here that just doesn't get it. Work on that.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

This is completely impossible. There was similar talk when Snow Leopard came out, and it never happened.

The PPC Macs were amazing machines, but at 6+ years old, they're just too old to be supported, nor should that support be expected.

Why do you even browse or post on the PowerPC forum if you don't get why people use them and/or PPC apps?

Just because one doesn't get why one would want to try to install Lion on PPC doesn't mean one doesn't get why people use PPC Macs at all.

For example, I have a PPC Mac and I love it. However, I don't at all understand why someone would want to try to modify Lion to install and run on PPC Macs. The level of modification to the system would be so monumentally huge, that one would pretty much end up recoding much of the OS. I don't understand why someone would want to tackle that kind of work just to get Lion to run on a PPC Mac where many of the features just plain wouldn't work, even if you got it to run.

Why don't you even read peoples' posts and figure out what they're actually saying? Work on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.