Lion bugs and feature enhancement requests/rollbacks

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iMikeT, Aug 10, 2011.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I have finally complied my list of Lion bugs and feature enhancement requests/rollbacks that I'll be submitting to Apple (apple.com/feedback) after my first week with Lion. So far they are:

Bugs:

-Temperature: Overall system temperature is running much hotter with Lion than with Snow Leopard. Hardware mostly affected: GPU, hard drive, and built-in power supply
    -Hard drive space mysteriously disappearing, even with very light usage
    -Some animations are not smooth
    -Page scrolling is not always smooth and can get choppy with some apps
    -"Clear" key does not work on Apple Wired Keyboard with number pad
    -Simply moving a mouse does not wake up the Mac when the display is asleep while the system is idling

Enhancement requests:

-"Classic mode"/rollback. This includes a not-so iOS looking iCal and Address Book. "Classic Spaces" in Mission Control.
    -Consistency across UI and appearance. iCal and Address Book being an example, lots of needless "flare" while the rest of the system is grey and simple, both really stand out like sore thumbs
    -Apps entering Full Screen should simply take over the desktop/space they are currently in rather than adding a new one at the end of the chain
    -Using the "Escape" key to get out of Full Screen Mode universally across all apps
    -Mission Control: the ability to rearrange desktops/spaces while in Mission Control
    -iCal: To be able to select a specific day while in month view (rollback feature). Sidebar showing calendars and mini-calendar (yet another rollback feature).
    -Auto Save and Restore needs its own System Preference pane to be able to control which apps use the feature
    -The ability to deactivate Launchpad

Anyone else care to add to the list?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Your disk space disappearing might be local snapshots.
    Not knowing your system specs I'm not sure about animations not being smooth. There are bugs in Lion no doubt, but some items you list might not be bugs.
    As always submit your feedback each system is different.

3. QuarterSwede, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's not a bug it's the way they want it. It prevents the display from waking if you accidentally hit the mouse or trackpad.

No kidding! MC is a dumbed down version of Spaces and Exposé. An option would do wonders.

100% agree. The current behavior makes little sense. The most current app to go Fullscreen should be at the beginning of the chain not the end at the very least and it should act as a desktop not it's own space that no other app can interact with.

That would be nice.

The most annoying bug I've encountered is Safari crashing whenever my MacBook comes out of sleep and it stalls whenever Time Machine starts backing up. It won't connect again until I've stopped Time Machine and restarted Safari. It also crashes an awful lot (10 times a day at least).

4. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Perhaps. The question is why does it take up so much disk space especially with low-level usage?

2011 BTO 27" iMac with 3.4GHz quad-core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M, 16GB RAM, and 1TB HDD.

I guess not having an SSD is what's causing the animations to skip from time to time... :(

I was beginning to feel that this is a feature after the hundredth time I moved the mouse and nothing happened. Good to know and I'm glad that I can take it off the list. :)

5. WSR macrumors regular

I would actually call this a bug, since if you have 2 monitors, it makes the second virtually useless. See
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13152562&posted=1#post13152562

I would also add no "Save As..." option. I use this frequently to create new versions of base files. I'm a teacher and I frequently use a base file, i.e. a spreadsheet to keep track of grades, and use "Save As..." to quickly create new files for each class.

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I want an option to remove the "Desktops"/Spaces from Mission control. Actually I pretty much want all-windows Expose back... No choices for these kinds of things is what makes Lion suck. Actually the bugs make Lion suck too but I expect those to get fixed at least.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Why do you need to deactivate it? You can remove it from the dock, and change the gesture to a different function.

But, then it would cover anything behind it. And then people would complain their apps are gone when "I had it open, and then entered full screen mode, and now it's gone".

3 finger swipe down is exposé-ish

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I know it's Expose-ISH. Not good enough.

I agree with you about Launchpad. What's dumb is people complaining about things in Lion you can either deactivate or don't change anything from Snow Leopard. What makes sense is being annoyed that things were either removed, changed for the worse, or changed drastically with no choice of goin back. There are so many angry people here on the Lion forum, I think it's obvious things went downhill for a ton of users. I'm one of them. Too many things were changed in a really bad way.

9. WSR macrumors regular

That's how it currently is in Snow Leopard, and I haven't heard of any complaints.

Meanwhile those with Lion and a second monitor can't watch a video in Full-Screen in one monitor and continue working in the second. Something I can do easily with Snow Leopard.

Simply put Snow Leopard handles Full-Screen mode better than Lion.

10. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Removing it from the Dock and simply not using it is not enough for some users. When ever you install an app, it gets in the way as the default "app home/organizer" just the same way an iOS device handles new apps. It would have been one thing if Apple designed Launchpad to simply be an app launcher but they sort of also made it to act as the new applications folder.

Agreed about the Exposé comment. What things were changed for the worse to you?

And who are you agreeing with about Launchpad?

11. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

But if I only have ONE app on a Desktop, and then I make that app full screen, there is no need to move it to a new desktop since there is nothing else that it could hide in the first place. It could check whether it's alone in the desktop or not, and act accordingly. Or there could be a checkmark "Move full screen apps to their own space" in System Preferences.

12. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular