Lion can be shared by 5 people?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manapple, Aug 9, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

I plan to purchase lion, and now it is 2 different people that have told me that for each time you purchase lion ($30) it can be shared amongst 5 people (comes to about $6). Is this some bug, or is it wrong information? Understand that I have absolutely no problems in paying the full amount, but if I can get it by sharing and its authentic then I will do that.

Thanks.

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

5 computers sharing the same apple ID- seems weird I know. There are several posts about this if you search

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope. It can be installed on as many computers as you own or control, no limit. You simply have to authorize your account on all of them. There's obviously some room for interpretation on the "own or control" part, which is up to you, but a friend buying it and you using on your own personal computer would not fall under those terms certainly.

jW

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

5. manapple thread starter macrumors member

So, If I use itunes and the app store - with my apple id, and my brother uses his with his apple id, we cant install lion purchased by a single apple id. and if we do, then he cant sing in to his apple id from his computer? is it something like that?

so if i do purchase lion, when and where on lion do i have to put in the apple id, and what is stopping me from putting it up on many computers? is it illegal, and will it cause problems later when apple figures out whats happening? or is it cool, and i should go ahead and do this?

thanks again.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

From what I understand, it's legal to install on all computers that you personally own/control/use your Apple ID as its primary.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's a legal grey area/illegal. If someone has more info hopefully they'll share, but that's my understanding of it.

It's definitely not "oh just download it and give it to whoever you want."

It's meant to be installed on your computers (say you have 2 desktops in your house, and maybe a laptop or two). They're meant to be yours, connected with your Apple ID.

7. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Why not just download it on one machine and create a USB boot drive for Lion.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So if you, your husband or wife, and your six children each use two Macs, and you own all of them, then you can totally legally install sixteen copies of Lion and pay only once. But if you own your Mac, and your brother owns his Mac, then you can't legally install it on both Macs without paying twice.

We should make a competition for "largest number of legally installed copies of Lion" :D

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Exactly, and yeah, I wonder whose got it installed legally on the most computers. (not to be offensive) any LDS families around? :D

10. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Haha. Okay, I get it.