Lion Disappoints...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I may be alone, but I am not liking this at all.

First of all, not having SL style Spaces and Expose? Are you kidding me? My 2006 Mac Pro with a 7300GT (piece of ****) gets like 3fps when trying to do the mission control animation.

I have 3 monitors - do you know how freaking ridiculous it is to have mission control open on 3 screens, each now with 4 "desktops" above the main screen? Not to mention, before the "spaces" view was all on one monitor... now I have each monitors "desktop" spread out 4 freaking feet apart on my desk?

No more colored finder icons on the top bar or side bar?

The ridiculous white/grey scrollbars?

The tiny window buttons in the top left?

The inability to use the keybord (control + arrow) to switch between spaces?

I didn't have access to a developer copy or a beta, but what a step backwards. Who prefers these things over SL?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If you had been reading all the posts recently, you could have saved yourself $29.99. Every single thing you have mentioned was complained about many times recently.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I don't care about the $30, I care about an OS that is as good or better than SL.

Also you say "complained." Damn right people are complaining. I should make a video of how "Mission Control" works with three monitors.

Am I the only person using 3+ monitors??? Mission Control is the most retarded implementation an multiple desktop / expose like feature ever.

4. Eidorian, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would like to see the video. I gave Lion a test drive out before deciding not to cashing out my $29. My greater concern is what to do after my Macbook expires.

I might end up going to LowEndMac route and just get another Core 2 second hand (15" MBP looks nice.) for a few hundred. OS X is now officially on my life support list.

After the adventures I just had over the past few days with an old iMac, data recovery, and data security; a Mac is not worth buying if you can not easily remove the hard drive(s).

5. advan031 macrumors 6502

I really miss Spaces as I used it quite often! I almost want to revert back to SL.

6. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I'm not saying it's right but you're complaining that things are not right with your six year old video card, really?

I was not all that happy with the lack of color on some places, but it does give more emphasis to content rather than pointlessly fancy graphics.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Feel the same way. There was always something that made me upgrade (I bought Snow Leopard the morning of when the Apple Store opened!) but Lion made me take a step back and actually question it. It's not the question of what's there that's making me hesitate, it's more of what's not there.

8. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I'm not feeling it either.

I don't care about the $30, figured I'd try it.

I like the Launchpad but I want to assign a key to it, those gestures are cool and all but the 3 fingers plus thumb is a bit much. I'm sure you can change it.

Office 2011 apps seem slow. Outlook 2011 will tell me I have a new Exchange message, I'll get the pop up in the corner but no message in the list for a while.

Safari is incredibly fast but again not a fan of the new download window, or lack of.

Take a while to get used to it.

9. advan031 macrumors 6502

I take it back...Spaces still exists in away but not as easy to set up.

10. jsep macrumors member

I prefer it ... and you CAN use control + arrow to move between spaces.

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

There's a lot of tiny differences (mainly with the mouse and gesture controls) that are driving me nuts right now, but I'll probably get over it in a day or two.

12. Eidorian, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was there at the Leopard and Snow Leopard launches on day one. Snow Leopard was nearly dead compared to Leopard. Lion once more made me reconsider my future on OS X and my desire to support Apple.

After losing Spotlight and Expose, there is not much to stick around for. I have had far too many more headaches using OS X than Windows for years now. Time Machine restores, Spotlight corruption, and workflow breakdowns have taken up countless hours compared to the pathetic minutes lost due to my own screw ups tweaking BIOS settings on my Windows desktop.

I have to change my opinion from liking OS X to "I tolerate it more on a laptop than Windows." Frankly, that's not saying much. That solely relies on the trackpad accuracy and Expose. Factor in Intel HD 3000 everywhere (not that I play games on my portables, yet), the entirely predictable lineup, and that fact I do not cash checks on my work trapped on OS X; I have next to no incentive to continue under OS X on a new Mac.

What does pay the bills is my flexibility across a wide variety of situations and operating systems. Now that appears to be a broad skill that is not so widely desired compared to certain pedantic specializations I have encountered.

(Did I mention that my Macbook fans spin up far too often and it can burn my lap?)

I think too much to just be a "consumer".

13. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I actually like how they do it now better. I have 5 terminal screens (full screen mode) and a VM (Full screen mode) and a bunch of apps. they automatically create 6 "Spaces" and I flick with the keyboard between the full screen apps.

So you get a hybrid of spaces and expose and app grouping all one one screen. Mission control is quite nice actually. Definitely gonna get the magic trackpad now.

So far its good.

14. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Rather than passing judgement 14 hours after Lion was released, I'm going to use it for about a week before making up my mind.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is about how long it took me to make up my mind.

It says something for Snow Leopard when you originally hate Expose's behavior under Snow Leopard, use Lion for a week, and return to Snow Leopard only to exclaim "This is how it should work!" Maybe I should revert my Dock back again to Expose Classic. (+10.3-10.5)

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Totally agree with what you're saying and sometimes I feel the same way. Being exposed to Mac's on a daily basis on school campus, I decided that any work I need to do on a computer, I'm going to do it on a Mac for the whole year just to see what the minority Mac users were talking about. I found and saw that Mac's were somewhat easier and less intimidating to those who aren't comfortable with computers vs. Windows. Eventually I got myself my first Mac. After using that for basically everything outside of school, I noticed that some of the things that Mac users were saying were a bit exaggerated. Like you, I've ran into a few problems such as the Spotlight database failing, disks not mounting and on the rare occasion a kernel panic that I can't determine why it happened but nothing where I had to reinstall.

I know Tiger was a special OS and people still through it but I thought Leopard was a much needed upgrade. Snow Leopard, we all knew it wasn't going to be much more than a tweak. And I told myself ok, maybe Apple is preparing for something big for 10.7. Enter Lion. Downloaded the GM, used it for about a week. There wasn't anything there to encourage me to get Lion ASAP.

Apple has laid out it's plan. It plans to further integrate iOS into OS X. And if Lion is any indication of what is going to happen to OS X, this is as far as I'll go with OS X.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I got interested in OS X back in the Panther days. The campus Mac labs were deserted compared to the Windows based ones. (I even would go into the Solaris ones too.) You could get on an iMac G4 to kill some time or to get that last minute print out before class. No need to wait in line for a Dell or once again at the towering HP laser monster.

I did my PowerPC only year back 2005-2006. It was misery given that the majority of my friends were heavily into gaming and I missed out on many hours of fun with them. I bought my first Intel iMac just before the Core 2 models came out but before the end of the back to school promotion. I recall installing Windows for the first time on my iMac in the Boot Camp beta. It really turned some heads and I got back into spending some quality time in the forests of Indonesia or in World War II with my friends.

I grew up in Tiger and I found myself most productive there. Spotlight behavior being the biggest thing. Top Hits would migrate to the top since you had to use an application vs. Quick Look. The Show All interface also divided content into broad filetype categories as well. Images were well in the image category.

Leopard was a much needed upgrade even with the changes to Spotlight. Not to mention the universal binary made it wonderful to work with on the job and to mass image the department Macs. I first encountered Spotlight corruption moving into Snow Leopard. I mulled over it for some months and trekked over to the Apple Discussions to find a resolution. I ended learning that the stores were more than likely corrupted and it would require a complete restart. Imagine my feelings are having to re-comment over 5,000 files so that Spotlight would be my laser accurate search again. I decided it was not worth the effort and pushed it off to the side. Thankfully all those comments were a personal endeavor and not a professional one. Little Snitch kernel panicked a few times under Snow Leopard as well when doing point updates. Really, there is not much to write home about in total disasters. We are at the point where it takes significant amount of ignorance or negligence to seriously destroy a computer. It nearly becomes moot if you have recent backups of your data and already have COMPUTER ADMIN on your resume.

I played around with Lion for the past week and just decided it was not for me. I had known since Snow Leopard's teething issues that I was on the road to parting ways with Apple and OS X. Lion is another reminder of it.

I am not one to go out and spout EPIC FAIL for Lion but it just makes me wonder where do I go from here?

18. iBunny macrumors 65816

I must have been the only one to never use spaces... I found it to be quite useless IMO. But thats just for me.

Its unfortunate that Lion does not include an option to enable the old spaces/expose and dashboard if you dont like mission control.

19. darkeartg macrumors regular

I didn't use it either. I actually like mission control, it's nice that it groups things

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Guess you're stuck with Snow Leopard then? At least until another desktop OS interests you, maybe Windows 8?

21. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

For all the naysayers..Are you even using the same OS that I am? Lion is brilliant. Do you really need a big aqua bar to scroll with. Join the year 2011, get magic trackpad, and enjoy. This leaves Snow Leopard and the competition in the dust. The OS is not dumbed down. Some folks just need to wise up..:D

22. SSVicious macrumors member

LOL at the people who are talking about splitting ways with Apple and OS X.

Unless you really want to play video games, OS X is still where it's at. If you don't believe me, come back after your first 10 minutes of Windows and complain about all of your viruses.

I just don't get it... There are things I don't like about Lion, and somethings that I wish were the same from SL. Nevertheless, it's the next iteration and I mostly like the new features.

But it's not really THAT different from SL. Give it a week or two and you'll see that Lion is fine. You'll just have to adapt.

I can't believe some of the minor things that people don't like and they go off and say they are done with OS X and stuff. Grow up.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple apologist, they screwed some stuff up in Lion (Launchpad unable to delete apps, ahem?), but there is very little that Apple could do to make me switch back to primarily Windows.

23. SSVicious macrumors member

Just a bunch of whiners and people who are never happy. People who think it's cool to go against the mainstream and not like Lion.

Always need something to complain about.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would not call it stuck. No problems with here Snow Leopard or Windows 7. Is not the joke that your old operating system does not stop working when a new one is released? My Macbook chugs along just fine. I have no complaints about it besides the occasional fan blasting. My concern is when it finally dies as mentioned before.

I am still using my late 2009 Windows 7 desktop. I do not see a need to upgrade that until 2012 or even 2013. Battlefield 3 might force an out of cycle upgrade given my upgrade to a 24" IPS 1920 x 1200 monitor this year from 1680 x 1050. The demands in games are noticeable. The biggest feature of my new monitor is the swivel though. I use that everyday.

My computer skills are my profession, just not trapped on one operating system.

25. mattd313 macrumors newbie

Please submit feedback

For everyone that doesn't like Mission Control and wants the option to revert back to the much loved Expose / Spaces- SUBMIT FEEDBACK TO APPLE.

This will only happen if enough people send negative feedback about Mission Control.

I'm considering reverting back to Snow Leopard just to get Expose back. I can't stand Mission Control. Right now I have 5 Excel windows (I often have more) - but when I spread them out in Mission Control I can only see 4 of them. If the 5th one is the one I need, I need to shuffle around windows to get to it. How is this BETTER??

Submit feedback guys- Mission Control needs serious work- or just to not exist at all....

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html