Lion + Flash = Freeze, widespread problem? [Reported]

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by onthecouchagain, Jul 23, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Apparently, after coming back from sleep state, Lion will freeze when attempting to run flash videos, where only the mouse cursor will move but nothing is clicakble. Cannot access Activity Monitor nor Force Close. The only solution is to hard reset with the power button.

I've experienced this myself multiple times, and so have others. If you're experiencing it too, please report at the provided links to Apple Support.

http://gdgt.com/question/anyone-else-having-flash-video-freeze-their-27-imac-with-lion-f4s/

Hopefully patch/fix is on the way...

EDIT: Report on TUAW: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/24/lion-bug-some-imacs-locking-up-after-playing-video/

2. ycwee37 macrumors member

i've experienced the very same thing! initially the cursor is still movable, but after i clicked it few more times, the whole comp freezed completely..:mad:

3. mikhailit macrumors newbie

I was coming on here right now to say the same thing. I'm getting lots of freezes. So annoying!

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It happened to me once, watching YouTube videos. After the rest it has been fine so far.

5. Mac-ing Off macrumors newbie

Mac-ing Off

Same Problem

This is frustrating. I have the same problem coming out of sleep. And quicktime movies which used to play seamlessly now studder, pause, and get audio and video out of sync. Lion is more like a virus than an upgrade so far.

6. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Try watching those videos again after your computer sleeps (goes into full hibernation mode). It should freeze.

And yes, this happens with just trying to play QuickTime videos off your computer (not off the inet) as well.

The thread at the Apple Support page is growing. I think this is a Lion-wide problem, and not isolated to just a few...

7. onthecouchagain, Jul 24, 2011

onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Lion + Flash = Freeze, widespread problem? [REPORTED]

For those who upgraded to Lion, are you experiencing a freeze whenever attempting to play Flash after waking up from sleep? It seems to be a widespread and growing problem at the Apple Support website. Here's a link to a few of those threads: http://gdgt.com/question/anyone-else-having-flash-video-freeze-their-27-imac-with-lion-f4s/

The freeze results in a movable mouse cursor, but inability to actually click anything. Neither Activity Monitor nor Force Close can be accessed (via mouse nor keyboard). The only solution is to do a hard reset with the power button.

This also happens when attempting to play QuickTime files off your computer (not off the internet) after waking from sleep.

If you're experiencing this too, add your story to the Apple Support page.

8. atticus570 macrumors regular

I just had this problem trying to watch a game trailer on IGN like 2 minutes ago lol

9. mrparis macrumors newbie

mrparis

Yeah also experiencing the same issue on my 3 week old 27" iMac.

I've added a few comments up on the Apple support forum, getting the error on my SnowLeopard upgraded system. Was driving me nuts, thought it was only me as didn't seem to be too much info on MacRumors, which is usually my source for all things Mac :)

Anyhow, tried a complete clean install of Lion and still gives the issue. Same as everyone else, after sleep running flash (Youtube, TwitVid, BBC Iplayer) etc throws up the crash. Mouse works, although no click, keyboard also seems to be responsive (caps lock light can be turned on and off). However only way to recover is a Hardreset.

Looks like we need Apple to give us a patch or at least comment on the issue.
    :(

10. onthecouchagain, Jul 24, 2011
  11. onthecouchagain, Jul 24, 2011
  12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What makes this OFFICIAL? A blog that picked up the story from the Apple discussion thread?
    I define official as some statement from Apple, either in a press release or a support document or the release notes from an actual update. I don't doubt that some are having issues, just your title.

13. IeU macrumors member

14. mrparis macrumors newbie

mrparis

Glad to see it's got a bit more attention,

Hopefully Apple will give us a patch soon. It's an odd error, some people aren't having any problems with their iMac's whilst others are. Notice from the forum a few people have posted replies with other hardware with similar issues, but I don't think it's the same problem we're experiencing.

Notice one guy posted that he tried 10.7.2 (as he's a developer) and this seems to have solved the problem for him. I'll keep my fingers crossed !!!

15. kikedeolivos macrumors member

I have the exact same problem after upgrading (10 days ago) to Snow Leopard. My video podcasts via Front Row sometimes freeze, sometimes are out of sync. I'm also having problems with Quicktime 10 which was included in Snow Leopard.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

17. R.OG macrumors regular

Good to see i'm not the only one having this problem.

18. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Glad ive had click2flash installed since i bought my mac in 2008 and dont see ANY flash content at all.

My ipad doesnt see flash, my iphone didnt see flash and ive disabled flash in my desktop browsers and android phone.

If a site "requires" flash, i take my business elsewhere.

RIP Flash, your not going to be missed, and my battery powered devices are much happier without you.

19. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

Have been watching flash videos all day, haven't encountered the problem.

20. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This problem goes beyond flash. It plagues QuickTime and iTunes videos as well. Again, after waking tge computer from full sleep mode, attempting to play flash or QT or iTunes videos results in a freeze. Try it if you're on lion.

21. onthecouchagain, Jul 25, 2011

onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Are you on lion? Did you put your computer into sleep mode (full sleep, as in the hard drive/ssd goes to sleep) and then wake it and play flash or QT or iTunes videos? Try that.

22. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Same issue on my MBP, watching a movie, if I move the mouse the screen chops up, if I leave the mouse it's fine.

23. Farthen macrumors member

Did anyone of you report a bug at bugreport.apple.com? Otherwise they may not notice…

I have the same problem with my 2011 27", it occurred to me at least once.

24. leman macrumors 604

Yes, it happened twice to me already as well.

At first I though it was related to the freezing problem my iMac occasionally has while gaming. I am glad its not :)

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'm on the 10.7.2 beta and it's still doing it to me. Looks like this is going to be a separate patch from OS updates or it's going to last a while longer. :mad: