Lion FREEZE!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by limys88, Jul 23, 2011.

1. limys88 macrumors newbie

I have been experiencing freeze on my lion, when i launch mission control and pick an application on the dock to launch, and it will freeze! not moving, nothing just frozen there...

2. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

same here, I've had 2 freezes in the space of 2 hours and have and to hold the power button down for a few seconds just to turn it off and reboot.

really regretting upgrading tbh

3. Tozzi macrumors regular

On which one of your machines is this happening? On the MBP or on the iMac? Or both?
    I have the same problem, but it affects only my MBP. My iMac runs Lion just fine.

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

When it freezes give it a minute or so and see if it returns. I had this issue with the GM. I would get random lockups. But iStat would still be reporting numbers. The CPU Usage would slowly drop to 0% and then pick right back up and return. So far with the retail version I have no seen this issue with my iMac.

5. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

my iMac

my Macbook Pro, seems fine at the moment!

just happened again on my iMac, so thats 3 times (all using Youtube)

seriously annoying me now GRRRR

6. Arcadeez macrumors member

Arcadeez

I have the similar problem.
    All windows were frozen but mouse's cursor.
    Today happened 2 times.

7. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Yup thats exactly what my problem is

Hmmm, seems Lion is Apple's Vista :eek:

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

At first it just happened with I was using Safari and I thought maybe it was Flash issue. I uninstalled Flash and it still did it. Then later on it started with other Apps. It just seemed to happen more often when using Safari. Some people have reported a possible Memory Leak with Safari.

9. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

hmm, I'm trying youtube in Firefox and it seems ok at the moment, so it could be a fault with Safari.

will try it out for a few hours and see where it takes me

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I tried to narrow my freezes down and couldn't there was so many random variables with my setup. I had a very old install running. I decided to reformat and install SL then Upgrade when Lion was actually released.

11. TheGdog, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Just because it has bugs, does not make it Vista. Lion has far less bugs than did Snow Leopard.

Everyone on this forum realizes that if you install a new OS right after it comes out, there will be bugs and issues. Same with any OS.

12. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Exactly. Bugs are expected to be found. I will always upgrade day one with an Apple OS. This is something I would have never done with Windows. Far less issues hands down with OS X.

13. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

so, im guessing your fresh install didn't do much?

14. Tozzi macrumors regular

That's what I thought. It seems like only newer (sandy bridge) systems are affected. And I suspect it has got something to do with graphics drivers.
    It's strange that not more people are experiencing this.
    I have reported the problem to Apple, so let's hope it will be fixed in 10.7.1.
    I'm still quite convinced that it's not a hardware defect that's causing this but of course we can't rule that out 100%, especially since the number of people affected seems to be so low.
    I'll keep you updated as soon as I get news from Apple.

15. titan4 macrumors newbie

16. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Joy

so the problem was known before it was released and yet wasnt fixed?

Poor!

17. titan4 macrumors newbie

Yes it was reported before retail launch. I have a bug report myself.

So far it seems it is happening only after waking from sleep mode (or at least that is making chances of it happening much higher). And yes I believe it might be graphics card driver issue. I have logs full of:

kernel: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero

18. limys88 thread starter macrumors newbie

mine was on MBP mid 2009, happened twice so far..very scared to use mission control now.

19. JacaByte macrumors 6502

I'm curious, are any of you guys having this issue with nVidia discrete/primary graphics chips?

20. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i had then exact same on my i5 mbp 2010. i did a clean install of lion and it froze around 2-3 times a day. so hard i had to power down the machine. los of weird display errors in the system logs. i kinda narrowed it down to webkit usage, since it would happen mostly with safari and chrome.

i reinstalled again with the same dvd today and for some reason it seems better now, fingers crossed. no freezes today yet.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Right. Because you're experiencing an issue so EVERYONE must be experiencing it as well.

22. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Huh?

23. Tozzi macrumors regular

Well, let me put it this way:
    It's very annoying to those among us who do have problems to be told by ppl that we either imagine it, or that it has to do with some screwy setup we have.
    There are some die-hard fanboys on this forum who think that everyone who has a problem with new Apple software releases is in some way responsible for it himself.
    This is not the truth, some of us would really love to have Lion up and working as intended, however, we don't have such joy.
    Experiencing showstopping bugs is bad enough; people telling us that it's our own fault, even though it clearly isn't, are just rubbing salt in our wounds.
    I am sick of it. Clearly, Apple have screwed up on this in some way, and it affects only a small number of people, but those few people are affected badly by it nonetheless.
    Yes, it will be fixed, and if it is due to faulty hardware, it will be fixed as well. But right now, we are suffering from it and we want it solved.

24. ttttaylor macrumors regular

i've had about 5 or 6 freezes since installing the retail Lion on my 2011 iMac. 2 of which happened when i tried to start a video in iTunes, and the others when i tried to start a youtube video. first one on day one, last one about an hour ago.

everything on the screen is frozen except the cursor, only solution is to restart with the power button. that said, i'm not the most patient guy, so who knows if it would've become responsive after a few minutes.

i might try Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari for a bit, but seeing as though it also freezes with iTunes sometimes makes me wonder if that will do anything at all.

it's unfortunate, but i love Lion so far and know there will be bugs at first.

patience! :)

oh and Lion is definitely not Apple's Vista. give me a break.

25. IeU macrumors member

same . . . froze while using chrome at youtube. (Flash related?)