Lion goes off line when asleep

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by firstwiz, Aug 11, 2011.

1. firstwiz macrumors newbie

I travel a lot so I have both iTeleport and Logmein on my iPad. I just upgraded to Lion and now when I leave the computer to sleep and try to login with my iPad the apps are saying it is off line. I have checked all of the sleep settings and they are correct. Any ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the case with any computer.

I put my Mac to sleep (running gotomypc) and I'm unable to connect to it remotely. The same with my PC at work - its asleep, I cannot access it.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you have an airport base station enable Wake on LAN. I use VNC viewer on my iPad and can access my iMac when it is a sleep.

4. firstwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Lion goes off line when asleep

I also am using VNC viewer on my iPad - Can you tell me how to enable Wake on LAN in my airport? I just went thru all of the set up pages and did not see this option.

Thanks

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's actually on the Mac, in System Preferences > Energy Saver. Enable "wake for network access" should do it.

Oh, and the VNC client has to support sending WOL when connecting. I'm currently using "Remoter VNC", which is a very nicely done client (also does SSH terminal emulation).

6. firstwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

As to the energy saver setting, I've always had that set to Enable "wake for network access" - yet once my iMac goes to sleep it appears as off line to my iPad apps. Is 'Remoter VNC' something that is needed for either iTeleport or Logmein to wake the computer? And, if so, is it because of Lion? Because I never had this problem before Lion.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's probably Lion. Mocha VNC would connect to my MacBook with Lion but I couldn't click on anything until it was updated. Other people had similar issues until their VNC apps were updated as well.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I had the same problem with Mocha - that's why I ended up with Remoter, which is a much more efficient client (re: fast). Even after Mocha was updated, I was already spoiled by Remoter.

9. firstwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I finally got a hold of Apple Support - after about 15 min they came up with a solution that actually worked. They had not had any reports of this so she had to do some digging. Turns out to be a really simple solution. In the energy saver I had both the computer and the display set to go to sleep. She said to set the computer to 'never' and leave the display as it was. Success!! I changed the settings and left for about 3 hrs. Then tested the access and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks to all of your suggestions and I hope this solution may help others as well.