Lion hates me and my computer..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zeiter, Sep 25, 2011.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I am running the latest SL. I bought Lion from the app store. Every time I try to install it, it goes smoothly until when it's time for me to log in within Lion. My user name is gone and there is nothing I can do to enter Lion. Thank god, I always backup with time machine before and restore it, so I have a running computer.

I did the upgrade. I fear doing a fresh install with all the complications. Saving emails, music, etc...

Anyone has encountered this problem and how did it solve? This is the first time I ever have a problem with software....and it's a big one.

Thank you all :)

2. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Stay on Snow Leopard (restore to it if necessary). Lion is absolutely horrible on most machines, and it's screwed mine over three times in a month. I had never had to make an Apple support call before I got it; I've made more than fifteen in the past three weeks.

3. strubinstein macrumors member

That is horrible advice. Just because you don't like it and have had problems doesn't mean everybody else will. You can't just make sweeping generalizations like "its horrible on most machines", because its simply not true. let people try it and see if they like it. I guarantee the silent majority are happy with it.

Unfortunately I can't offer much help to you OP, I wouldn't have posted but the above post was worth refuting in my opinion. Good luck.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Better find the solution, you cant avoid an upgrade to an operating system. Sooner or later you will have to move to it.

5. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Try booting in Verbose mode, and if that doesn't work try booting in Single User Mode, if all else fails fresh install is the way to go.

6. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

I for one think its excellent advice. Go with the proven and stable OS.

7. gr8tfly, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try repairing permissions before upgrading. (Disk Utility > First Aid) Also, I would suggest booting on your SL disc, running Disk Utility, and doing a verify/repair disk.

Edit: Make sure to update/upgrade software to their latest versions, especially if they address Lion specifically (some, like Parallels, had updates to current versions for Lion compatibility, in addition to offering an upgrade to v7 to fully support Lion). Kernel extensions (kexts) need to be 64-bit compatible (usually, you would have 3rd party kexts to support various hardware devices).

There's nothing inherently wrong with doing an uograde. I did our two machines and had zero issues (Early 2009 17" 2.66, and MBA 1.6 rev.a). Actually, I can't remember the last time I haven't gone with the upgrade path. I always have two complete backups (Time Machine plus an image backup, on separate drives) in case smething goes wrong or I have to go with a clean install and migrate - which, I've never needed to do. (sometimes, I do end up with a clean install by virtue of buying a new machine).

8. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

This is all pretty bad advice. You have a Time Machine backup, yes? Burn a copy of the installer to DVD (a single layer DVD-R will do). Boot from it and do a clean installation. Use Migration Assistant to move all of your user files over.

Problem solved.

Cheers!

9. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

How does Migration Assistant work?? does it work well?? will all the programs work correctly??? What about my emails?? will I lose them in Outlook??

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Pointless...and no you CAN NOT AVOID AN UPGRADE. In 3 years when your computer dies, you either buy used or get something with Lion. Then 6 years from now, Snow Leopard will only be known on all these ancient computers we are using now. I hate Lion myself, but I am not going to downgrade only to come back to Lion later.