Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haven't they already theoretically unveiled Lion?

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Haven't they already theoretically unveiled Lion?
Yeah I guess they theoretically have. One could probably argue that we had a 'preview' rather than an unveiling though.

Anyone know if the keynote will be streamed live?

And it's my bet we see Lion in August.

+1 on streaming?

Really hoping it is

If I remember correctly, the last keynote that was live streamed was the introduction of iOS4 (correct me if I'm wrong). Apple only announced the live stream 1 - 2 days before the event, so stay tuned and they might announce it. I too hope that they stream it live!

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
Lion is ready! No doubts about it!

If Steve Jobs has anything to say about it, it might be "We have a great team here at Apple, but they don't sit on their asses every-time we're successful."

Apple works hard and they anticipate release dates... Most importantly work on Lion started right after Snow Leopard... They released Snow Leopard, had fun for a weekend, and went back to work on Monday.

Also Apple is pretty confident about this date, sources say. They also like to leave the rest of the world off with some goodies... Why not Mac OS X.

I can see an iCloud delay due to licensing, because most other companies are in it for the money, not the passion...

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Yes, there are bugs in Lion. Safari is great but particularly annoying bug-wise right now, but it won't take 2 or 3 months to fix that. There are some graphics (driver) issues which need addressing. But its really quite stable (no panics compared to DP1). It doesn't lack as much polish as people make out.

Apple will have been working on an update and fixes for 11A459e, and hopefully we will see that update at WWDC on Monday. Along with more bugs i'm sure. I would say this release is going to be key and will probably determine what needs to be done to bring this to RTM. By July, Lion as we know it will be very different from 11A459e and we may not even see another release after the 6th. Or we might see several.

My money is on a dev preview 4 for next week.

Last edited:

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005

If Steve Jobs has anything to say about it, it might be "We have a great team here at Apple, but they don't sit on their asses every-time we're successful."

Apple works hard and they anticipate release dates... Most importantly work on Lion started right after Snow Leopard... They released Snow Leopard, had fun for a weekend, and went back to work on Monday.

Also Apple is pretty confident about this date, sources say. They also like to leave the rest of the world off with some goodies... Why not Mac OS X.

I can see an iCloud delay due to licensing, because most other companies are in it for the money, not the passion...

Steve....is that you? :)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
"Confident about this date"? The only date announced by Apple is Summer 2011 not WWDC. A new Developer Preview build will be released next week with whatever features are announced at the keynote and the GM will come sometime after that.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If Apple has some licenses, I can see they don't delay iCloud but release it in a more-limited manner, same as they did with the iBookstore and the absence of publisher McGraw-Hill.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If Apple has some licenses, I can see they don't delay iCloud but release it in a more-limited manner, same as they did with the iBookstore and the absence of publisher McGraw-Hill.

I agree. We know Lion and iOS5 aren't ready to ship. They need iCloud to be ready on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I think Lion will be ready with in a month. This keynote is how iCloud will bridge the gap between iOS and Mac OS X.
I'm thinking the same as well and it makes the most sense. It locks people further into the Apple ecosystem (and makes them want to buy a Mac), makes syncing all your stuff a breeze which negates the need for a much needed file manager (yuck) on iOS and hopefully the new data center stabilizes Apple's online experience (MobileMe).

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I am really happy with 10.6.7 right now on my 2010 MBP. I have no issues and everything is super fast <3

Heres hoping that 10.7 is released when its ready and not a moment sooner.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
MacBookPro13";12660665 said:

20th of September is the last Tuesday of American Summer.
So that we be my guess.

Guessing that will be AppStore and BTO release date.
If they follow normal practice then any machine sold between now and when store stock with Lion roll in will be get cost of delivery upgrade. Which is time could well be a free code to download from the app store.

Retail DVD's might even come after that.

Be surprised if Apple doesn't give developers three months with the feature complete version.

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
So...
Next week
  • Lion Preview 4
Summer (July-Sept.)
  • Lion
  • iCloud
  • iOS 5
I'm pretty sure that all three will be released at the same time since they are so tightly integrated, although that would mean a lot of work for apple if/when bugs are discovered. I'm feeling a late July release.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
It could be released in the next month

Apple probably havent released their most stable and polished versions of 10.7 to the (wonderful) dev's, as it would show it off to much and reveal all its features, lion is close and it is summer, Steve Jobs said that they were on track to release lion at the preview, so either at the end of june or start of july it will become available, thats my speculation guess anyway :p

dilgit

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Surprise!!!??? I have no doubt in my mind that Lion, Ios 5 and iCloud will be released to the public on Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.