Lion Mail problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zen, Jul 24, 2011.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I'm using Mail with two IMAP accounts (one is gmail), and I'm experiencing a little weirdness.

Firstly, this probably has been discussed elsewhere in the main Lion threads, but the search function in Mail is next to useless now. I have a lot of emails and a lot of subfolders for both accounts, and now searches bring up tonnes and tonnes of junk without (apparently) the ability to drill down to more specific results.

But more importantly, I seem to be missing emails. I got in late last night and checked my emails on my iPhone. I read one that needed to be replied to today... but after checking my email this morning it doesn't appear in my inbox on any of the three computers/devices I use.

I didn't delete it either - I just read it last night then closed Mail on my iPhone.

While trying to search for the missing email in Lion, I noticed the search wasn't bringing up results for one particular phrase, even though I have a folder full of emails which contain it, and even though I was searching in the correct folder and in the correct field.

So... I'm hoping that the first Lion patch includes a whole lot of Mail updates.

Anyone else having problems?

2. pr0be, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

pr0be macrumors newbie

same thing

I am experiencing the same thing. I seem to be able to send email from the Lion's new Mail, but can't receive any.

I have several mail accounts in Mail and the problem seem to be the same with all of them regardless of whether on exchange server or not. The strange thing is that I can see and read some of the "invisible" incoming mail in my iPhone, but if I try to refresh my Mail accounts on mac, it may delete the new emails also from my iPhone! The disappearing emails are nowhere to be found and I have also checked the external exchange service mail boxes and junk mail and spam boxes.

EDIT–> just solved the problem partly. Mail 5 created a new spam folder into "On My Mac" and seems to move most of the incoming mail in there. Anoying..

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Well, that confirms it then - it wasn't just my imagination! So, until this is fixed, do we need to NOT check our emails on our iPhones? Or avoid using Lion Mail but using iPhones are okay?

Confusing and worrying - my missing email was business related, and I just had to reply to the sender and try and remember what they had asked me when I read their email last night.

I haven't checked the Apple Support forums to see what kind of troubles with Mail have been reported.

4. ventmore macrumors 6502

I can't tell you why you're losing emails, but I may be able to help with the search problem.

I was searching for a message containing a particular phrase yesterday, but for some reason, mail wouldn't find it. Spotlight on the other hand, found the email just fine. After a little Googling, I found the suggestion to "Rebuild" my mailbox. I did this with all my mail folders, and now search within mail works fine.

To do it, I selected all my mail folders, then selected "Rebuild" from the "Mailbox" menu.

This clears all of your mail out, then redownloads it, so thinking about it, I wouldn't try it with a POP account (not even sure you can) as your email is likely no longer on the server*, but as yours are IMAP, it should work fine :)

*This was for others coming across this post, trying it, then complaining they've lost everything :)

Disclaimer:
    I take no responsibility for any email that is lost from following this advice.

5. Lykos1986 macrumors member

For me mail can receive and sent mails but cannot divide the mail “conversations”. It is always under a huge mail…

I am sure that this was one of the most advertised feature of the new mail but it is not working…

I hope for a 10.7.1 with bug fixes… and you can find tons of bugs under Lion in general.

6. ventmore, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

ventmore macrumors 6502

Click on the number in the little grey box next to the email conversation, and the separate mails will drop down underneath it.

[​IMG]

7. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Well, it's just happened again - I was exchanging emails (again, business-related, so pretty important), and now I can't find one that has been sitting in my inbox. I've searched, I've looked in every possible folder it might have moved in, I've logged into the IMAP servers via their websites, and nothing.

This is seriously bad news.

8. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I had the same thing going on yesterday. I thought that it was just one of those "just got done setting up mail" things. I left my system alone for about an hour and then I was able to find my message.

I wonder if there might be some crazy indexing or caching going on. Also we just might have an outright bug to deal with.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Lion definitely has issues with IMAP.

I have 2 exchange server setups, along with 2 IMAP's for work. One of my IMAP 's keeps disconnecting all the time- then I need to right click to synchronize and it proceeds to re-download all the mail.

This am, my machine was sleeping but my fans were kicking @ 6100 and Mail was using 118% CPU. Shut down mail, and fans came down- again I suspect it is an IMAP connectivity or settings issue.

No idea at this point how to fix.

Lastly, not to highjack your thread OP, but how do we easily open attachments now? You have to scroll down to the bottom of a threaded email on the right window to even see them. No attachments show on the top of emails any longer (by the paperclip)

I love the look, but this has certainly slowed my productivity.
    Don't even get me started on opening in preview, as it then opens the previous one I had opened first, on top of what I opened.

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I've had serious issues with my IMAP account in Mail using Lion. Messages will simply not load - the header info loads, and if i click on a message it just sits there saying it is loading yet never completes. Restarting didn't help, not did vacuuming the mail index with Onyx.

What i did find helped to get my messages to load was to go into the advanced account preferences and disable the account, and then re-enable it. Then my messages popped up and were able to be viewed.

Still doesn't explain what the issue is. :confused:

11. womacje, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

womacje macrumors newbie

12. DoctorH macrumors newbie

Mail Problems with Lion

I am having trouble with Mail after installing Lion. I am receiving mail messages however no replies or new emails are being sent. The sent emails all remain in the outbox. Anyone with a solution?

13. ashforma macrumors newbie

LION email Password dropped

My problem with LION email is passwords for my accounts. I have 9 email accounts, 8 POP accounts and one IMAP account.

All the accounts appear on my other Mac machines and some of them, on my iPhone.

All passwords are stored in my Keychain which is set to sync across all the devices.

Since installing LION I am frequently requested to re-enter my account password - on which ever device I am using - as Lion says the password is missing. The password will be requested several times during the same session as well as at the start of the session.

The IMAP account was so frequently in an error state I had to delete and recreate it, since then it seems to be fine.

What is strange is that on my MBP at installation of Lion all 9 accounts showed up working fine, the missing passwords problem showed up a couple of days later.

When I installed Lion on my MB, all, I do mean all 9 accounts had their passwords missing and needed some form of maintenance, i.e. Account signatures were missing.

Comments?
    M

14. Dogger macrumors member

in Mail I can't change the font back from bold and some general wierdness going on, not sure if it was the java update that messed up mail but it messed up Safari.

15. ashforma macrumors newbie

Mailboxes dropping Offline, mail not retrieved

An update to my previous post on issues with Lion Mail.

The password issue I was encountering was resolved in System Preferences by taking "key chains" out of the MobileMe Sync feature on all my machines.

A new problem...

I work with the Mailboxes panel hidden so did not realize that some of the accounts had dropped Offline. I never gave permission for the accounts to be Offline!

Taping on the folder and selecting on the popup for the account to be “Online” seemed to have no affect. The icon did not change and sending a test email message to the account from one of my others, and then forcing a Get Mail did not retrieve the test message from the server.

I moved all the message in the account to another and selected to delete the Mailbox from the popup, the account did not delete. Exiting and restarting Mail showed the “deleted”account still there.

From System Preferences I deleted the account, the account was deleted, but it seemed to be the only way to delete an account.

I recreated the account. Mail on the server arrived, much more than the test messages I sent to it. The account had been offline for several days, luckily there was nothing critical in what arrived.

I repeated the process on a couple of other accounts that appeared to be “in trouble” all accounts appear to be working correctly now, however, I have never encountered these problems with any other mail client.

M

16. mixmastermidori macrumors newbie

Also missing emails

Hi all,

New here. I'm also missing emails after moving to a new iMac. I'm able to see the emails on my iPhone, but they're not showing up on my iMac. Also, it's not like *none* of my emails are showing up in Mail; I get a few emails for the POP account on the iMac Mail. When I check my iPhone (which I usually don't use for email), there are many more messages than what's showing up on the iMac.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating. I'm not getting all of my business emails, and I'm afraid I'll miss a customer email because it's lost in the ether. I don't see a "On my Mac" folder where email has been sent to spam. I also tried disconnecting the account in Advanced settings and reconnecting it, but that did nothing.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for any help! I'm ready to go back to my older, slower iMac and return this shiny new one...

-M

17. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Do NOT use POP this way. It was not designed for it. You will continue to lose emails if you do.

POP mail MUST be pulled into ONE device only. I suggest it be your desktop.

If you want to use e-mail from both, use IMAP. If your e-mail provider does not support this, get a proper e-mail provider.

18. fishbizbob macrumors newbie

"Do NOT use POP this way. It was not designed for it. You will continue to lose emails if you do.

POP mail MUST be pulled into ONE device only. I suggest it be your desktop.

If you want to use e-mail from both, use IMAP. If your e-mail provider does not support this, get a proper e-mail provider."

That is absolutely not true. I've been using multiple Pop3 accounts and pulling all the emails to laptop, iphone , Ipad, etc and have never lost any emails.
    As long as he goes into each Mail accounts settings and put a check by "Leave a copy of Message on the server" it will do so and his other devices can then pull that email off later.

19. BostonBrawler macrumors member

Even at that though, it will never be truly interchangable, because the sent messages will not translate to the other device using the POP option. It is one way.

A POP downloads the message directly to the client. To truly use multiple devices conveniently and both ways, IMAP is the best option.

20. Hanas macrumors newbie

E-mail account appears TWICE in Mail Inbox !

Ever since installing Lion, my e-mail account appears DOUBLE in my inbox;
    i.e., I have only ONE active e-mail account (IMAP) but this account appears TWICE (identical) in my Inbox (and Sent box). I'm also asked my password twice (or multiple times), when logging in into Mail.
    :mad:

I don't find any difference in these mailboxes, and can't manually delete either one of them.
    :(

Anyone that can refer or solve this problem ? Have been reading this section, without finding a similar problem reported.

Hanas

21. ssh macrumors member

Mail crashing...

Not sure what all of the parameters are, but Lion Mail is crashing quite frequently when it's not being actively used. It is now not uncommon for me to come back to my MBP and notice Mail gone from the Dock although I didn't close it. Eventually, I find the crash report dialog. I have 5 Mail accounts (2 Exchange, 2 Google, 1 MobileMe), but I limit the IMAP access in the Google accounts so as not to overwhelm Mail. Nonetheless, it's crashing frequently. Snow Leopard, while slower, did not have this issue with these same accounts.

22. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

You're right, it can be done. But you have to know exactly what you're doing. And even then I can't recommend it. This is me speaking as a UNIX system administrator.

POP was not designed to be used in this way. IMAP was.

23. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Is this IMAP iphone/Mac problem happening with everyone on Lion now?

24. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

No.

25. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

But is there a pattern, for instance, all people on a certain model/year?